156 on the blink

Old October 3rd 10, 12:20 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Malcolm Osborne

Default 156 on the blink

156 2.0TS - driving along, revs go up briefly, then engine dies. Turning
ignition key causes starter motor to go `whirr', but no effect on engine.
Doesn't sound like cambelt - that would be more dramatic?

Any suggestions on root cause, before car is towed to agent? Was due to go
there in near future for service, inc cambelt change.

--
regards,
Malcolm Osborne

Old October 3rd 10, 11:20 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage[_3_]

"Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
> 156 2.0TS - driving along, revs go up briefly, then engine dies. Turning
> ignition key causes starter motor to go `whirr', but no effect on engine.
> Doesn't sound like cambelt - that would be more dramatic?
>
> Any suggestions on root cause, before car is towed to agent? Was due to go
> there in near future for service, inc cambelt change.
>
> --
> regards,
> Malcolm Osborne
> Sedgefield, South Africa
> 156TS - 1999 - 279655Km

I don't suppose it's trying to tell you something after "279655Km" - poor
thing must be knackered !

I expect a friendly expert will be along shortly with good advice /
suggestions.

While we wait, I must congratulate you on achieving 279655Km, which I think
equates to about 175000 Miles in real money. Makes my 1998 156 2.0 TS look
like a beginner on 83k miles - methinks I'll hang on to it for a while.

Dave S.... :>))

Old October 3rd 10, 01:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Malcolm Osborne wrote:
> 156 2.0TS - driving along, revs go up briefly, then engine dies. Turning
> ignition key causes starter motor to go `whirr', but no effect on engine.

As in the engine is not turning, or it won't start?

> Doesn't sound like cambelt - that would be more dramatic?

I would expect much more drama, yes.

> Any suggestions on root cause, before car is towed to agent? Was due to go
> there in near future for service, inc cambelt change.

Could be (perhaps) lots of things, particularly at that kind of age.
When was the last cambelt service?

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old October 3rd 10, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Malcolm Osborne

Yes - the starter motor spins, but engine doesn't turn.
I think the cambelt was changed last at 200 000Km.

A friend here suggested something simple - battery, but that normally just
produces a starter motor `click' with a dead battery . Havn't had a chance
to check that yet, just in case.

--
regards,
Malcolm Osborne

Old October 3rd 10, 11:23 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Malcolm Osborne

There's lots of things that can wear out in 11 years and 175000 miles, but
Alfa's have an abysmal resale value - would have difficulty selling. Case of
`driving it into the ground'?

I gather from this ng that bodywork deterioration is a typical reason for
selling an Alfa in UK - mine spent the 1st 8 years of its life in our
Johannesburg area, at altitude and low humidity. Thus the bodywork is still
in good nick.

--
regards,
Malcolm Osborne

Old October 4th 10, 05:59 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Malcolm Osborne wrote:
> Yes - the starter motor spins, but engine doesn't turn.

If the sudden cessation is linked to the starter no longer turning the
engine, I suspect there's something expensively mechanical broken. Not
sure what it could be though.

> I think the cambelt was changed last at 200 000Km.
>
> A friend here suggested something simple - battery, but that normally just
> produces a starter motor `click' with a dead battery . Havn't had a chance
> to check that yet, just in case.

Worth a punt, but unlikely IWHT.

Old October 6th 10, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Malcolm Osborne

"Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
> 156 2.0TS - driving along, revs go up briefly, then engine dies. Turning
> ignition key causes starter motor to go `whirr', but no effect on engine.
> Doesn't sound like cambelt - that would be more dramatic?
>
> Any suggestions on root cause, before car is towed to agent? Was due to go
> there in near future for service, inc cambelt change.
>
> --
> regards,
> Malcolm Osborne
> Sedgefield, South Africa
> 156TS - 1999 - 279655Km

Unfortunately turns out to be the cambelt that went - usual small fortune to
fix!

The cambelt was last changed at 220 000Km (136700m), now its coming up for
280 000Km (174 000m). Thats 60 000Km (37282m) service life. Its supposed to
be well within the recommended distance.

I presume the difference is that I'm not using the car so much these days -
it was last done in 2005. Would a cambelt deteriorate even if not used?

The repair quote is R19 000 - ~ £1727. How does that compare to UK prices?

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa
156TS - 1999 - 279655Km

Old October 7th 10, 08:57 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Malcolm Osborne wrote:
> "Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
>> 156 2.0TS - driving along, revs go up briefly, then engine dies. Turning
>> ignition key causes starter motor to go `whirr', but no effect on engine.
>> Doesn't sound like cambelt - that would be more dramatic?
>>
>> Any suggestions on root cause, before car is towed to agent? Was due to go
>> there in near future for service, inc cambelt change.
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> Malcolm Osborne
>> Sedgefield, South Africa
>> 156TS - 1999 - 279655Km

> Unfortunately turns out to be the cambelt that went - usual small fortune to
> fix!

Well yes.

> The cambelt was last changed at 220 000Km (136700m), now its coming up for
> 280 000Km (174 000m). Thats 60 000Km (37282m) service life. Its supposed to
> be well within the recommended distance.

36000 miles or 3 years, whichever is sooner. So you were *just* over the
mileage.

> I presume the difference is that I'm not using the car so much these days -
> it was last done in 2005. Would a cambelt deteriorate even if not used?

Yes. Hence the 'or three years' bit.

> The repair quote is R19 000 - ~ £1727. How does that compare to UK prices?

Slightly cheaper, bit not by much.

Bad luck

Old October 7th 10, 12:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Simon Mason

"Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
> "Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
>> 156 2.0TS - driving along, revs go up briefly, then engine dies. Turning
>> ignition key causes starter motor to go `whirr', but no effect on engine.
>> Doesn't sound like cambelt - that would be more dramatic?
>>
>> Any suggestions on root cause, before car is towed to agent? Was due to
>> go there in near future for service, inc cambelt change.
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> Malcolm Osborne
>> Sedgefield, South Africa
>> 156TS - 1999 - 279655Km

> Unfortunately turns out to be the cambelt that went - usual small fortune
> to fix!
>
> The cambelt was last changed at 220 000Km (136700m), now its coming up for
> 280 000Km (174 000m). Thats 60 000Km (37282m) service life. Its supposed
> to be well within the recommended distance.
>
> I presume the difference is that I'm not using the car so much these
> days - it was last done in 2005. Would a cambelt deteriorate even if not
> used?

I always had mine done every 2 years, at £300 it was much cheaper than
taking the risk of a failure.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old October 7th 10, 04:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Simon Mason > wrote:

> > I presume the difference is that I'm not using the car so much these
> > days - it was last done in 2005. Would a cambelt deteriorate even if not
> > used?

> I always had mine done every 2 years, at £300 it was much cheaper than
> taking the risk of a failure.

Is almost the right answer.

36k / 3 years seems to be fine.
--
SteveH

Jeep A/C and Heater on Blink !! Related ?? James[_1_] Jeep 5 November 2nd 09 02:50 PM
Air Bag Blink Codes coolmiata Mazda 4 May 28th 06 01:12 AM
96 T&C AC blower on the blink Fieronut Chrysler 2 July 31st 05 12:47 PM
Blink Blink Blink Blink Larry Scholnick Driving 30 December 30th 04 11:35 PM
Turn Signals, Sometimes will not blink. Sleepy Joe VW air cooled 7 October 14th 04 10:44 PM