(UK. )Waiting delivery of new MX-5 Tech Sports (10 days I hope),Tyres??

Old August 20th 10, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

Default (UK. )Waiting delivery of new MX-5 Tech Sports (10 days I hope), Tyres??

On Aug 20, 3:09*am, Donwill > wrote:
> On 20/08/2010 04:11, NetMax wrote:
>

> > On Aug 19, 12:55 am, > *wrote:

> >> As above, from Mazda dealer, have not mentioned to them of my preference
> >> in tyres as yet.
> >> * *I would like "Uniroyals Rainsport 2".
> >> * *What are likely to be fitted and what are my chances of getting the
> >> Uniroyals fitted instead at minimal extra cost? Would I have to pay full
> >> cost for them ?what would happen to the ones already fitted?

> >> Regards
> >> Don

> > Is there something wrong with the OEM tyres? *Here they come with
> > Bridgestone Potenza which are a little soft, but great for controlled
> > drifting ;~) *They're actually rated very well. *Unless you're certain
> > there's something wrong with what the dealer installs, save your money
> > for better mods. jmo

> Yes, thanks for that, the supplier hasn't taken delivery of the car yet
> so I don't know what tyres will be fitted.
>
> I suppose the problem with asking this type of question is that the
> replies come from various contributors who have different aspirations.
> For example Net max , you obviously like to push your car to the limit
> hence you mentioning "controlled drifting" .
> I'm in my 70s and 4 wheel drifts is not what I'm looking for. I want to
> go touring in it, abroad mainly so I'm looking for stability in a range
> of road conditions not maximum performance. A couple of years ago I was
> staying near San Sebastian in late September but the weather was wet
> every day so, we decided to head South looking for the sun, however
> within 10 miles and climbing, the rain turned to sleet, 5 mins and we
> were in a blizzard being overtaken by idiots doing high speeds in
> treacherous conditions. At the time we had a FWD vehicle so we coped
> fairly easily, 5 miles down the road -beautiful sunshine as we topped
> the crest.
> Referring to an earlier contribution in this thread by *Frank Berger--
> quote " When I bought my '96 new and found out how dangerous the OEM
> Bridgestones
> were in the rain etc " I'm *a little apprehensive at the thought of *
> tail wagging up a hill in similar conditions.
>
> Anyway, thanks for all your contributions it's been helpful .
> * Any further contributions or advice gratefully received.
> Cheers
> Don- Hide quoted text -

Understood. My experience with the OEMs used here are that they begin
getting slippery at around 5C (wet or dry) but when warmer, they stick
very well (wet or dry). I'm afraid my one opinion won't help you
much, especially as neither of us knows what your dealer plans to
install ;~) Good luck with your purchase.
cheers
Old August 20th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

NetMax wrote:
> On Aug 20, 3:09 am, Donwill > wrote:

>>> Is there something wrong with the OEM tyres? Here they come with
>>> Bridgestone Potenza which are a little soft, but great for
>>> controlled drifting ;~) They're actually rated very well. Unless
>>> you're certain there's something wrong with what the dealer
>>> installs, save your money for better mods. jmo

>> Yes, thanks for that, the supplier hasn't taken delivery of the car
>> yet so I don't know what tyres will be fitted.
>>
>> I suppose the problem with asking this type of question is that the
>> replies come from various contributors who have different
>> aspirations. For example Net max , you obviously like to push your
>> car to the limit hence you mentioning "controlled drifting" .
>> I'm in my 70s and 4 wheel drifts is not what I'm looking for. I want
>> to go touring in it, abroad mainly so I'm looking for stability in a
>> range of road conditions not maximum performance. A couple of years
>> ago I was staying near San Sebastian in late September but the
>> weather was wet every day so, we decided to head South looking for
>> the sun, however within 10 miles and climbing, the rain turned to
>> sleet, 5 mins and we were in a blizzard being overtaken by idiots
>> doing high speeds in treacherous conditions. At the time we had a
>> FWD vehicle so we coped fairly easily, 5 miles down the road
>> -beautiful sunshine as we topped the crest.
>> Referring to an earlier contribution in this thread by Frank Berger--
>> quote " When I bought my '96 new and found out how dangerous the OEM
>> Bridgestones
>> were in the rain etc " I'm a little apprehensive at the thought of
>> tail wagging up a hill in similar conditions.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks for all your contributions it's been helpful .
>> Any further contributions or advice gratefully received.
>> Cheers
>> Don- Hide quoted text -

> Understood. My experience with the OEMs used here are that they begin
> getting slippery at around 5C (wet or dry) but when warmer, they stick
> very well (wet or dry). I'm afraid my one opinion won't help you
> much, especially as neither of us knows what your dealer plans to
> install ;~) Good luck with your purchase.
> cheers

I would be careful about generalizing. I didn't mean to say that all or
most OEM tires on Miatas or anything else are dangerous in the rain. The
particular tires on the base '96 that I bought were horrible. I forget the
model number. The dealer was not shocked that I wanted something different.

Old August 20th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.[_2_]

On Aug 20, 3:30*am, Chuck > wrote:

> *An NA or NB Miata gets a bit
> light on the steering at or above 120 without full ground effect skirts.

I was not aware that the Miata was capable of speeds above 120mph. I
actually have always thought that they top out just below 110mph or
so. Have I been wrong all these years? (Not that I am interested in
checking it out in my '97 M-edition; I save the triple-digit speeds
for my Ducati on the racetrack.)

Old August 20th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

On 8/20/2010 9:40 AM, NetMax wrote:
> On Aug 20, 3:09 am, > wrote:

>>> Is there something wrong with the OEM tyres? Here they come with
>>> Bridgestone Potenza which are a little soft, but great for controlled
>>> drifting ;~) They're actually rated very well. Unless you're certain
>>> there's something wrong with what the dealer installs, save your money
>>> for better mods. jmo

>> Yes, thanks for that, the supplier hasn't taken delivery of the car yet
>> so I don't know what tyres will be fitted.
>>
>> I suppose the problem with asking this type of question is that the
>> replies come from various contributors who have different aspirations.
>> For example Net max , you obviously like to push your car to the limit
>> hence you mentioning "controlled drifting" .
>> I'm in my 70s and 4 wheel drifts is not what I'm looking for. I want to
>> go touring in it, abroad mainly so I'm looking for stability in a range
>> of road conditions not maximum performance. A couple of years ago I was
>> staying near San Sebastian in late September but the weather was wet
>> every day so, we decided to head South looking for the sun, however
>> within 10 miles and climbing, the rain turned to sleet, 5 mins and we
>> were in a blizzard being overtaken by idiots doing high speeds in
>> treacherous conditions. At the time we had a FWD vehicle so we coped
>> fairly easily, 5 miles down the road -beautiful sunshine as we topped
>> the crest.
>> Referring to an earlier contribution in this thread by Frank Berger--
>> quote " When I bought my '96 new and found out how dangerous the OEM
>> Bridgestones
>> were in the rain etc " I'm a little apprehensive at the thought of
>> tail wagging up a hill in similar conditions.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks for all your contributions it's been helpful .
>> Any further contributions or advice gratefully received.
>> Cheers
>> Don- Hide quoted text -

> Understood. My experience with the OEMs used here are that they begin
> getting slippery at around 5C (wet or dry) but when warmer, they stick
> very well (wet or dry). I'm afraid my one opinion won't help you
> much, especially as neither of us knows what your dealer plans to
> install ;~) Good luck with your purchase.
> cheers

http://johnmcgaw.com/image/day5b.jpg

Just keep on truckin' and to hell with the weather! ;=)
Old August 20th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

On 8/20/2010 2:21 PM, Tim M. wrote:
> On Aug 20, 3:30 am, > wrote:
>
>> An NA or NB Miata gets a bit
>> light on the steering at or above 120 without full ground effect skirts.

> I was not aware that the Miata was capable of speeds above 120mph. I
> actually have always thought that they top out just below 110mph or
> so. Have I been wrong all these years? (Not that I am interested in
> checking it out in my '97 M-edition; I save the triple-digit speeds
> for my Ducati on the racetrack.)

I'm pretty sure that even the NA was good for at least 120mph or close to
it. I never had mine above about 100 indicated and it felt fine. The
USA-spec NC is rev-limited to 220k (137mph) and it feels as if it will do
it too.
Old August 20th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

John McGaw wrote:
> On 8/20/2010 2:21 PM, Tim M. wrote:
>> On Aug 20, 3:30 am, > wrote:
>>
>>> An NA or NB Miata gets a bit
>>> light on the steering at or above 120 without full ground effect
>>> skirts.

>> I was not aware that the Miata was capable of speeds above 120mph. I
>> actually have always thought that they top out just below 110mph or
>> so. Have I been wrong all these years? (Not that I am interested
>> in checking it out in my '97 M-edition; I save the triple-digit
>> speeds for my Ducati on the racetrack.)
>>

> I'm pretty sure that even the NA was good for at least 120mph or
> close to it. I never had mine above about 100 indicated and it felt
> fine. The USA-spec NC is rev-limited to 220k (137mph) and it feels as
> if it will do it too.

What's the top speed on an MSM? I had mine at around 115 (on the speedo)
for a couple of short stretches on the drive from LA to Dallas. Wasn't
working up a sweat, it seemed.

On my drive to school in 1966 I had my 1957 Chrysler Windsor up to 120 for a
few minutes between Chicago and Madison. I thought it was gong to shake
apart, but the engine was fine. I was stopped a short time later for
speeding a little and got off with a warning. If the officer only knew.

Old August 20th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> I would be careful about generalizing. I didn't mean to say that all or
> most OEM tires on Miatas or anything else are dangerous in the rain.

By the same token, it's a mistake to generalize about a tire brand,
since each brand sells many different models, each a different
compromise of performance, comfort, longevity, fuel mileage, and price.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old August 20th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
"Tim M." > wrote:

> I was not aware that the Miata was capable of speeds above 120mph.

Stock, my '94 could reach an indicated 128 mph. I'm guessing the true
speed was circa 122. Until I got Konis, though, it was less than stable
over 110.

FWIW, 110 mph comes up fairly quickly. Then you shift into 5th, and
further progress is glacial. Nonexistent, if headed even slightly uphill.

But there are plenty of modified Miatas that are rpm limited, with a top
speed that depends on their gearing and whether the rev limiter was
"adjusted."

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old August 20th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On Aug 20, 5:59*pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *"Tim M." > wrote:
>
> > I was not aware that the Miata was capable of speeds above 120mph.

> Stock, my '94 could reach an indicated 128 mph. I'm guessing the true
> speed was circa 122. Until I got Konis, though, it was less than stable
> over 110.
>
> FWIW, 110 mph comes up fairly quickly. Then you shift into 5th, and
> further progress is glacial. Nonexistent, if headed even slightly uphill.
>
> But there are plenty of modified Miatas that are rpm limited, with a top
> speed that depends on their gearing and whether the rev limiter was
> "adjusted."
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

My understanding is that gear & rev. limiter permitting, the top end
of the 2.0L NC is between 130 and 133mph (210-215km/h). At least this
is what I've read, I haven't had occasion or interest to try myself.
Old August 21st 10, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Donwill

On 20/08/2010 20:27, John McGaw wrote:
> On 8/20/2010 2:21 PM, Tim M. wrote:
>> On Aug 20, 3:30 am, > wrote:
>>
>>> An NA or NB Miata gets a bit
>>> light on the steering at or above 120 without full ground effect
>>> skirts.

>> I was not aware that the Miata was capable of speeds above 120mph. I
>> actually have always thought that they top out just below 110mph or
>> so. Have I been wrong all these years? (Not that I am interested in
>> checking it out in my '97 M-edition; I save the triple-digit speeds
>> for my Ducati on the racetrack.)
>>

> I'm pretty sure that even the NA was good for at least 120mph or close
> to it. I never had mine above about 100 indicated and it felt fine.
> The USA-spec NC is rev-limited to 220k (137mph) and it feels as if it
> will do it too.

The latest (UK)MX5 brochure quotes 132 mph for the Sport Tech (soft top)
and 136mph for the retractable hard top version, not that I'm
interested in speeds above 85 mph (French Auto-routes) with very
occasional bursts to 90 perhaps to get clear of difficult, potentially
dangerous bunching on motorways.

Don