Newbie question

Old April 26th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

Default Newbie question

Hello Everyone,

I have always been a car nut, but circumstances have not always been
favorable. I am now heading into what we might call an end of life
crisis; getting ready to buy a nice car.

My first inclination is the mx-5. And surely, in this forum of all
places it is not difficult to find support for that.

However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife would
prefer that I go for the SLK.

I figure if someone in a Miata forum can make a good case for either of
the other two I should pay attention.

Appreciate your thoughts...

Don

Old April 26th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

On 4/26/2010 12:37 PM, Don Q wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have always been a car nut, but circumstances have not always been
> favorable. I am now heading into what we might call an end of life
> crisis; getting ready to buy a nice car.
>
> My first inclination is the mx-5. And surely, in this forum of all
> places it is not difficult to find support for that.
>
> However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife would prefer
> that I go for the SLK.
>
> I figure if someone in a Miata forum can make a good case for either of
> the other two I should pay attention.
>
> Appreciate your thoughts...
>
> Don

Just my opinion (I've been an MX-5 owner since 1991 so take it for what it
might be worth):

If you are short, thin, flexible, don't carry luggage or groceries, and
have money to spare then the Elise would be great fun. If you are not so
short, not so thin, not so flexible, occasionally need to carry a bit of
luggage, and have even more money to spare then the SLK should be a good if
rather boring ride. Of course if you are spending that much then you had
better consider the AMG instead to get the blood pumping a bit.

Consider that you could buy a top of the line MX-5 and have enough money
left over to take a long luxury holiday for what the Elise costs. You could
buy two MX-5s and still have money for the holiday for the price of the
AMG. And so far I've been considering only purchase prices. Wait until you
see what maintenance and insurance for the Lotus or Merc costs. If it
doesn't make your eyes water, nothing ever will.
Old April 26th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Don Q wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have always been a car nut, but circumstances have not always been
> favorable. I am now heading into what we might call an end of life
> crisis; getting ready to buy a nice car.
>
> My first inclination is the mx-5. And surely, in this forum of all
> places it is not difficult to find support for that.
>
> However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife would prefer
> that I go for the SLK.
>
> I figure if someone in a Miata forum can make a good case for either of
> the other two I should pay attention.
>
> Appreciate your thoughts...
>
> Don

I agree with what Don said.
The Miata probably wins in terms of practicality, resale value,
reliability, service, and its large, extremely helpful and enthusiastic
community of owners that is unlike any other.
The SLK is in a totally different class with luxury and comfort put
ahead of everything else. And the funny thing about all that luxury is
that once the top is down it pretty much all goes out the window to so
speak.
I would love an Elise and feel it is actually the one reasonably priced
(albeit it greater) alternative to the Miata which offers a better
driving experiencing. However it is even less luxurious than a Miata.
It comes standard with rubber carpets. Early models did not even come
fitted with a radio. The noise is also louder than a Miata and the top
is not completely open like a Miata. On the used market a late model
Elise can be had for a very reasonable price.
One other car that you may want to consider is the new BMW Z4. It is
quite a departure in looks than the older Z models, is luxurious and yet
still very sporty. I like the handling of the older Z cars but their
maintenance cost was very high and they just didn't last which is why
you rarely see the older ones on the road.
Whatever you choose, I think deciding between these models is a very
nice problem to have.
Old April 26th 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >, Don Q wrote:

> My first inclination is the mx-5. And surely, in this forum of all
> places it is not difficult to find support for that.
>
> However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife would
> prefer that I go for the SLK.

It will be your car, not theirs. Let them buy what they want, and claim
the same privilege for yourself.

My opinions:

The Elise is a great track toy. It's too brutal and too Spartan to be an
acceptable daily driver, worse than many motorcycles.

If you're even considering a Miata, then you're not in the SLK
demographic. It's a wonderful convertible, but not really a sports car.

The Miata is universally acknowledged as a perfect balance of handling,
comfort, reliability, and fun.

Anyway, for Lotus or Mercedes money you could have a Miata with a
professional V-8 conversion and kick sand in the faces of Corvette
drivers.

But pay no attention to us. Take test drives in all three and decide for
yourself.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old April 26th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Don Q wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have always been a car nut, but circumstances have not always been
> favorable. I am now heading into what we might call an end of life
> crisis; getting ready to buy a nice car.
>
> My first inclination is the mx-5. And surely, in this forum of all
> places it is not difficult to find support for that.
>
> However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife would prefer
> that I go for the SLK.

Heheh, try getting in and out of an Elise. Try doing it 2 or 3 times.
Get your wife to do it too (if she is to share the sportscar experience)
and see what you all think afterwards. The boot is pretty tiny.

My experience of cars like this is with a friend's Vauxhall VX220 which
is related to the Elise. I absolutely love it, and so do they, but I
also love my MX-5.

Of the 3 cars in your list, the Elise is by far the purest, most focused
and ultimately rewarding cars to drive if you take it seriously. It
will be loud and rattly but will give the biggest grin and draw the most
attention.

SLK is fine, I've not actually been in one, but I believe they are well
regarded. It will be expensive to buy, worth a decent chunk of your
initial investment a few years down the line, and is German in a way
only German cars can be. Not as rewarding but much more comfortable and
dependable.

MX-5 is somewhere in the middle.

The descision is yours.

--
Douglas

Old April 26th 10, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Don Q wrote:

> My first inclination is the mx-5. And surely, in this forum of all
> places it is not difficult to find support for that.
>
> However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife would
> prefer that I go for the SLK.
>
> I figure if someone in a Miata forum can make a good case for
> either of the other two I should pay attention.
>
> Appreciate your thoughts...

You know better than to ask, do what the wife wants or you'll regret it
for years!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old April 26th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Me[_12_]

On 27/04/2010 7:36 a.m., XS11E wrote:
> Don Q wrote:
>
>> My first inclination is the mx-5. And surely, in this forum of all
>> places it is not difficult to find support for that.
>>
>> However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife would
>> prefer that I go for the SLK.
>>
>> I figure if someone in a Miata forum can make a good case for
>> either of the other two I should pay attention.
>>
>> Appreciate your thoughts...

> You know better than to ask, do what the wife wants or you'll regret it
> for years!

Ummm... - the wife wanted an slk.
I suggest the OP reads the forum he
http://owners.mercedes-benz-usa.com/...istForCategory

Old April 27th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Me" > wrote in message news:hr4u7m$8n6> I suggest the
OP reads the forum he
> http://owners.mercedes-benz-usa.com/...istForCategory

Ouch! Scary stuff. I like Lanny's take on it; go spend a bit of time in
each, think with the mind and the heart, not just one and you'll know which
one is right for you. Trust me the Miata is a platform that can be enjoyed
stock or taken to almost any level in any given direction. Tweaking to your
personal tastes is what's a big part of the fun with these little roadsters.

Please keep us posted though, even if you go with something other than a
Miata. Personally for me, the Z3 M Roadsters are very tempting these days
too!

Good luck!
Chris
99BBB

Old April 27th 10, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Me > wrote:

> On 27/04/2010 7:36 a.m., XS11E wrote:
>> Don Q wrote:
>>> However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife
>>> would prefer that I go for the SLK.

>> You know better than to ask, do what the wife wants or you'll
>> regret it for years!

> Ummm... - the wife wanted an slk.
> I suggest the OP reads the forum he
> http://owners.mercedes-benz-usa.com/...slk-class/list
> ForCategory

Repairs are cheaper than divorce.
Do what she wants or live to regret it.
You must have never been married?

The OPs only hope is to get the wife to love the Miata.....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old April 27th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:43:25 -0500, Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Anyway, for Lotus or Mercedes money you could have a Miata with a
> professional V-8 conversion and kick sand in the faces of Corvette
> drivers.

I was surprised to learn that the weight gain is less that 200 lbs,
probably in the ballpark of a turbo Miata.

I can only imagine what one would be like to drive.

newbie question [email protected] VW air cooled 4 April 9th 07 01:39 PM
Newbie question johns Technology 4 June 4th 06 12:06 AM
newbie question flatfoot2 Jeep 19 February 21st 05 08:47 PM
Newbie question Ed Presson BMW 2 September 27th 04 06:31 PM
Newbie with question E.R. BMW 0 September 26th 04 12:07 AM