New Miata (er, MX-5)

Old April 21st 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

Default New Miata (er, MX-5)

<snip>
> Good choice! What a blast that drive is going to be! I doubt you will mind
> having 6 gears but you probably WILL wish 6th was a taller cruising gear! I
> know, I keep bringing this back up but it's one of Mazdas biggest mistakes
> on the NA,NB and NC cars IMHO.
>
> Give us all the details when you get back!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Fixed on the NC2 '09 & '10 (taller final gear).

The 5MT is a sequential gearbox (lends itself to 1-2-3-4-3-4-5).
You're driving a 5MT without thinking about it very quickly.

The 6MT is more like a gearbox buffet (1-2-4-3-5-4-6)
The 6MT will sometimes leave you, just momentarily wondering, am I in
5th or 3rd, because the engine has such a wide powerband.

Both good trannys, though some are notchy, (particularly the earlier
6MTs) so do your test drive on a cold and a warm engine.

net
Old April 22nd 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

NetMax wrote:
> <snip>
>> Good choice! What a blast that drive is going to be! I doubt you
>> will mind having 6 gears but you probably WILL wish 6th was a taller
>> cruising gear! I know, I keep bringing this back up but it's one of
>> Mazdas biggest mistakes on the NA,NB and NC cars IMHO.
>>
>> Give us all the details when you get back!
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

> Fixed on the NC2 '09 & '10 (taller final gear).
>
> The 5MT is a sequential gearbox (lends itself to 1-2-3-4-3-4-5).
> You're driving a 5MT without thinking about it very quickly.
>
> The 6MT is more like a gearbox buffet (1-2-4-3-5-4-6)
> The 6MT will sometimes leave you, just momentarily wondering, am I in
> 5th or 3rd, because the engine has such a wide powerband.
>
> Both good trannys, though some are notchy, (particularly the earlier
> 6MTs) so do your test drive on a cold and a warm engine.
>
> net

Pretty good characterization of the 2 transmissions. On the 5 speed, I
didn't use 5th unless the traffic was light, because I'd just have to
downshift all the time. On the 6 speed, when you slow down in traffic you
still have enough power to get going again. (I know that's what you just
said). I hit the rev limiter twice today. It's only 6500. Not sure if
that's only the Mazdaspeed or any MX-5 with a 6 speed. I also found myself
going 1-2-3-4-6 getting on the interstate.

Old April 22nd 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Carbon wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 02:26:11 -0500, Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> Greeting from Deming, NM. Couldn't quite make my goal of El Paso.
>> The car is really awsome. The desert is truly beautiful as is the
>> sky at night. Top down all the way so far. With the FM upgrades, she
>> supposedly does around 200 HP at the wheels. Whatever, she's plenty
>> quick. With 75 MPH speed limits much of the way, I was comfortable
>> crusiing at 85-90. I did hit 110 on the speedo briefly. Not sure
>> how accurate it is with the 215/40/17 Azenis Rt-615s. Had some
>> traffic getting out of LA. Didn't find the 6 speed any more of a
>> pain than the 5, as someone suggested would be the case.
>>
>> The only thing the seller didn't get ready was wiring the Prosport
>> Air/Fuel gauge so that it doesn't have to be reset manually every
>> time you start the car. He couldn't figure out the wiring. Will
>> have to work on that.
>>
>> On to Dallas tomorrow.

> Sounds like the FM Little Enchilada package. Not that I obsessively
> monitor the FM website or anything...
>
> http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?
> deptid=4536&parentid=0&stocknumber=22-10005

Here are the mods, as per the seller:

Product
Retail Price

Flyin Miata Mid Pipe and Exhaust $599.00

Flyin Miata downpipe/catalytic $335.00

Flyin Miata Mazdaspeed complete intake kit $595.00

Flyin Miata O2 modifier
$124.00

Prosport 52mm Premium Electric Boost Gauge $81.99

Prosport 52mm Premium Air Fuel Ratio Kit $239.00

TOTAL
$1,973.99

I haven't figured out the Prosport gauges yet. The air/fuel ration seems
to read 14 under zero accelration. Under accel or decel the needle bounces
around. The boost is supposedly set at 9.5 (stock is 7.5), but I don't know
what the gauge is supposed say when. It would be nice to figure out the
wiring so I don't have to reset the gauges every time I start the car.

Thompson Automotive Nautilus compact air horn $41.95

Old April 22nd 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" >
> You do understand why, right? With the NA and NB, we'd be downshifting
> for minor hills on the Interstate if top gear were taller, because we'd
> still be on the soft side of the torque peak. It's unlikely much if any
> fuel would be saved, since it would require larger throttle openings to
> maintain speed, even on the flat. Certainly, top speed would not
> benefit. I suppose it might be slightly less noisy, but hey, it's a
> roadster. I guess the NC could use a taller final drive, since it has
> plenty of beans and it's not much of a roadster anyway... <ducking>
>
> Maybe you bought the wrong car? A nice Camry, perhaps?
>
> (I'm just yanking your chain, Chris.)
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

I hear that argument all the time but I'm far from convinced. 1000 rpm's
lower at cruising speed would, imho be completely livable and better in
every way. When did you ever meet a Miata enthusiast that minded an
occasional downshift? I wish I knew enough about transmissions to know how
hard it would be to simply change 5th gear a bit taller.

cd
99BBB

Old April 22nd 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> Lanny Chambers > wrote:
>
>> Maybe you bought the wrong car? A nice Camry, perhaps?

> He needs this: http://preview.tinyurl.com/y5zl6jp
>
>> (I'm just yanking your chain, Chris.)

> Me, too,..... maybe...

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

You know, Pat warned me about you ;-) What a fabulous 'classic' car! lol

Chris
99BBB

Old April 22nd 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"NetMax" > wrote in message so do your test drive
on a cold and a warm engine.

> net

good point!
Chris
99BBB

Old April 22nd 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message > Top down all
the way so far. With the FM upgrades, she supposedly does
> around 200 HP at the wheels. Whatever, she's plenty quick. With 75 MPH
> speed limits much of the way, I was comfortable crusiing at 85-90. I did
> hit 110 on the speedo briefly. Not sure how accurate it is with the
> 215/40/17 Azenis Rt-615s. Had some traffic getting out of LA. Didn't
> find the 6 speed any more of a pain than the 5, as someone suggested would
> be the case.
>
> The only thing the seller didn't get ready was wiring the Prosport
> Air/Fuel gauge so that it doesn't have to be reset manually every time you
> start the car. He couldn't figure out the wiring. Will have to work on
> that.
>
> On to Dallas tomorrow.

Sounds great! That's allot of power! Should be quite a hotrod!

Chris
99BBB

Old April 22nd 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> "Lanny Chambers" >
>> You do understand why, right? With the NA and NB, we'd be
>> downshifting for minor hills on the Interstate if top gear were
>> taller, because we'd still be on the soft side of the torque peak.
>> It's unlikely much if any fuel would be saved, since it would
>> require larger throttle openings to maintain speed, even on the
>> flat. Certainly, top speed would not benefit. I suppose it might be
>> slightly less noisy, but hey, it's a roadster. I guess the NC could
>> use a taller final drive, since it has plenty of beans and it's not
>> much of a roadster anyway... <ducking> Maybe you bought the wrong car? A
>> nice Camry, perhaps?
>>
>> (I'm just yanking your chain, Chris.)
>>
>> --
>> Lanny Chambers
>> St. Louis, MO
>> '94C

> I hear that argument all the time but I'm far from convinced. 1000
> rpm's lower at cruising speed would, imho be completely livable and
> better in every way. When did you ever meet a Miata enthusiast that
> minded an occasional downshift? I wish I knew enough about
> transmissions to know how hard it would be to simply change 5th gear
> a bit taller.
> cd
> 99BBB

The 6-speed runs 4,000 rpm at 80 mph. Unless I'm mistaken, my dearly
departed 5-speed also ran 4,000 rpm at 80 mph, in 5th gear. Sure, a little
quieter cruising at 80 would be nice for conversation and listening to
music. I did downshift to 5th a couple of times on my trip home until I
figured out it wasn't necessary. I'm not sure which setup I'd choose.

Old April 22nd 10, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> "NetMax" > wrote in message so do your
> test drive on a cold and a warm engine.
>>
>> net

> good point!
> Chris
> 99BBB

The 6-speed on my "new" 2004 Mazdaspeed operates smoother than my old
5-speed.

Old April 22nd 10, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in message > Top
> down all the way so far. With the FM upgrades, she supposedly does
>> around 200 HP at the wheels. Whatever, she's plenty quick. With 75
>> MPH speed limits much of the way, I was comfortable crusiing at
>> 85-90. I did hit 110 on the speedo briefly. Not sure how accurate
>> it is with the 215/40/17 Azenis Rt-615s. Had some traffic getting
>> out of LA. Didn't find the 6 speed any more of a pain than the 5,
>> as someone suggested would be the case.
>>
>> The only thing the seller didn't get ready was wiring the Prosport
>> Air/Fuel gauge so that it doesn't have to be reset manually every
>> time you start the car. He couldn't figure out the wiring. Will
>> have to work on that.
>>
>> On to Dallas tomorrow.
>>

> Sounds great! That's allot of power! Should be quite a hotrod!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

It's beautiful, too.