Alfa 156 JTD

Old April 7th 10, 03:18 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_32_]

Default Alfa 156 JTD

On 07/04/2010 09:40, Jim wrote:

> "Jim" > wrote in message

>>> Well, I wouldn't be *quite* so cruel these days
>>>

>> Sorry but most people who drive BMW's seem to be quite rude....so
>> that's how I feel! That however ignores the rather boring *design* (if
>> we can stretch the word that far) of the German auto industry!

> Only a slight generalisation then. Never thought I qualify as a chav,
> whatever your definition of it. Have never considered myself rude,
> unlike your post.

My post may be rude but it is a fact that much/most rudeness on the road
is from BMW drivers.....
Old April 7th 10, 04:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Jim > wrote:

> Thanks for the above, Steve. I take it that you have experienced 156
> ownership - in diesel form?

No, never had a diesel - on my 2nd 2lt TSpark at the moment.
--
SteveH
Old April 7th 10, 05:25 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Jim spoke:
> Feels like an itch that needs to be scratched, I've always loved the look of
> the 156 and always fancied a 2.4 JTD - and would suit me best in Sportwagon
> form. Currently using a 320d which never breaks down, nor ever had a fault
> in over 50k miles. Am I mad to consider one!?
>
> I have a beady eye on two 2002 models, Veloce x 2, momo leather......lovely.

I've had my 2003 1.9JTD sportwagon for a year now.

This is my 2nd Alfa. Previously had a 164 3L V6 - bought used, driven as
company car for 3 years, over 100k miles, and it is the *only* car I've had, in
37 years, which never saw the back of a recovery truck.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old April 8th 10, 08:15 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_47_]

How do you find the 1.9 JTD??

Old April 8th 10, 10:13 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Charlie Money

On Apr 8, 8:15*am, "Jim" > wrote:
> How do you find the 1.9 JTD??

I reckon the 1.9JTD is a fantastic engine, plenty of grunt, very
relaxed cruising at 90+ on the motorway and slightly better fuel
consumption than the 2.4 (about 48ish, irrespective of how you drive
it would seem). Arguably a bit noisy but more from the outside than
from the cabin. Still going strong with 128,000 miles.

Mind you I do have the multijet (16 valve 4 cylinder). I had a test
drive in an 8v 1.9JTD, and from what I remember it wasn't as pokey or
as refined. I did test drive the 10v 2.4 JTD, liked that for it's
rawness, and was all set to buy it, only to find they had sold it to
someone while I was test driving it...

Same front end issues though as with the 2.4. I have heard the water
pumps on the 1.9JTD are prone to failing, but don't have any first
hand experience of this.

Charlie
Old April 8th 10, 11:58 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:18:37 +0100, Jim > wrote:

>My post may be rude but it is a fact that much/most rudeness on the road
>is from BMW drivers.....

LOL. And your *fact* is based on what..? I'm a BMW driver now but I
was a longer term Alfa owner until recently. Clearly I must have
suddenly changed personality just because of a car I bought? Hmmmm...

Probability plays a big part here..there are not many Alfas about to
experience rudeness from but there are loads and loads of Beemers.

The *people* that get on my wick in cars are mostly blondes on mobile
phones, boys with caps on (either way), folks with white hair, the
ignorant tw@ts who think they own motorway lanes other than the one
they're supposed to be in and (now that I've got cruise) people that
overtake then slow down. Doesn't matter about the car.

If there is a rudeness link to BMWs in particular, what might be
happening is that your average BMW is quite a bit quicker and faster
than your average Alfa so, if you've been holding up BMWs in your
Alfa, then you might well experience rudeness. Having said that,
pulling over and letting Mr BMW past would avoid much of that
rudeness.

Personally, I've not noticed any difference. People are just people
and they seem to be treating me with the same respect in my BMW that
they did when I had my Alfa. I'm not reading much into it other than I
was expecting to be treated like a vile monster (based on rumour and
hearsay) so I'm more receptive to selfless acts on the road. You reap
what you sow and, to me, it doesn't seem to matter what car you drive.

When I hear people criticise others because of what they own, I can't
help feeling that jealousy isn't far beneath the surface..

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old April 8th 10, 12:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 02:13:08 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Money
> wrote:

> I have heard the water
>pumps on the 1.9JTD are prone to failing, but don't have any first
>hand experience of this.

The big selling point of the 1.9 JTD is it's been a huge seller for
Fiat and GM with it appearing in lots of different vehicles worldwide.
If it were a remotely weak engine it would have been very well
publicised.

Old April 8th 10, 01:37 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Jim spoke:
> How do you find the 1.9 JTD??

Obviously it is not exactly a road rocket, but has
acceptable performance, and mine consistently returns
45mpg, which is a mix of short runs and daily 15mile
commute at 80 -90 on A1 and 70-80-ish on NSL A roads.

It has used no oil, but every so often I decides to drink a
liter of coolant, which is puzzling me. The intercooler
hose split, which was a £70 part and a 5 minute job on the
front drive to replace.

I went to look at this one with the intention of convincing
myself it was impractical with 3 dogs, but once I had a
test drive, I just got that typical Alfa 'something' which
meant it was impossible for me not to buy it.

The dogs are fine in the boot.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old April 8th 10, 07:06 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_32_]

On 08/04/2010 11:58, Zathras wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:18:37 +0100, > wrote:
>
>> My post may be rude but it is a fact that much/most rudeness on the road
>> is from BMW drivers.....

> LOL. And your *fact* is based on what..? I'm a BMW driver now but I
> was a longer term Alfa owner until recently. Clearly I must have
> suddenly changed personality just because of a car I bought? Hmmmm...
>
> Probability plays a big part here..there are not many Alfas about to
> experience rudeness from but there are loads and loads of Beemers.
>
> The *people* that get on my wick in cars are mostly blondes on mobile
> phones, boys with caps on (either way), folks with white hair, the
> ignorant tw@ts who think they own motorway lanes other than the one
> they're supposed to be in and (now that I've got cruise) people that
> overtake then slow down. Doesn't matter about the car.
>
> If there is a rudeness link to BMWs in particular, what might be
> happening is that your average BMW is quite a bit quicker and faster
> than your average Alfa so, if you've been holding up BMWs in your
> Alfa, then you might well experience rudeness. Having said that,
> pulling over and letting Mr BMW past would avoid much of that
> rudeness.
>
> Personally, I've not noticed any difference. People are just people
> and they seem to be treating me with the same respect in my BMW that
> they did when I had my Alfa. I'm not reading much into it other than I
> was expecting to be treated like a vile monster (based on rumour and
> hearsay) so I'm more receptive to selfless acts on the road. You reap
> what you sow and, to me, it doesn't seem to matter what car you drive.
>
> When I hear people criticise others because of what they own, I can't
> help feeling that jealousy isn't far beneath the surface..

LOL
Old April 9th 10, 12:29 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David A Stocks[_3_]

"Zathras" > wrote in message

> 1/ The 2.4 10V 140hp engine has a fabulous 'throttle' response and is
> more tuneful than the BMW and more tractable at low revs - however,
> it's a lot louder and less well balanced. I don't know how things went
> with the later 20V and multijet engines. I'd guess that throttle
> response softened and refinement got better.

I've recently gone from the earliest (136hp in a 156) to the latest (210hp
JTDm in a Brera) version of the 2.4 JTD engine. The latest version is very
refined and a lot more flexible - it's quite easy to forget what gear you're
in because the engine is so quiet. With the 156 I sometimes found with the 5
speed gearbox there were occassions when 3rd was too high and 2nd too low
for exiting from roundabouts. A mojor difference is fuel consumption - the
156 gave about 40mpg however it was driven, while the Brera doesn't give
much over 30mpg, although that's more the fault of the car (very heavy) than
the engine.

I don't know if there was a version of the 20v engine in the 156 that came
without the DPF and other emissions related stuff fitted - if there is then
this could be worth looking out for. The one thing I miss with the later
engine is the puff of smoke when you floor the accelerator with the engine
not quite fully warmed up - good for discouraging tailgaters!

The only bit of grief I had with the 156 engine was a small leak from the
high pressure fuel rail; it's an expensive part, difficult to get at, and
all the pipes that connect to it have to be replaced as well. If you can
smell diesel under the bonnet you could be in trouble.

Someone said cambelts are a problem on the 10v engines. I never noticed, and
my dealer told me he had never seen one fail. I still had it done at 60K,
though.

The one thing that 'did' for my car, at 10 years and 91,000 miles, was all
the driveshaft and steering boots/gaiters which perished/split and needed
replacing. You need a good independent dealer with a cheap hourly rate ...

DAS