Headlight adjustment

Old February 4th 10, 09:09 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

Default Headlight adjustment

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:

>>> Indeed. 0 being the highest, 3 being the lowest. Counter intuitive, a
>>> bit, but weight in the back forces the front up, thus the lights need to
>>> come down.

>> I'm set on zero already. Can't I adjust the headlight beam pattern under
>> the bonnet somehow as well? (As in the allignment adjustments for MOT)?

> Possibly, yes. Damned if I know how though, I'm afraid Is it not in the
> manual?

Can't find it in the manual - it just talks about the 0-1-2-3 on the dash.
It must be possible because the local garage that serviced it recently
adjusted the allignment to a much lower level than the alfa garage has done
for the previous 6years. Now, country roads are really dark and I can only
see for about 15m in front of the car! Hence my recent enquiried about HID -
which I haven't yet got around to - been out of country etc etc.

Old February 4th 10, 11:03 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:

>>> I'm set on zero already. Can't I adjust the headlight beam pattern under
>>> the bonnet somehow as well? (As in the allignment adjustments for MOT)?

>> Possibly, yes. Damned if I know how though, I'm afraid Is it not in the
>> manual?

> Can't find it in the manual - it just talks about the 0-1-2-3 on the dash.
> It must be possible because the local garage that serviced it recently
> adjusted the allignment to a much lower level than the alfa garage has done
> for the previous 6years. Now, country roads are really dark and I can only
> see for about 15m in front of the car! Hence my recent enquiried about HID -
> which I haven't yet got around to - been out of country etc etc.

No idea then, mate. Sorry.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old February 7th 10, 08:22 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David A Stocks[_3_]

"GT" > wrote in message
> OK, I give in - where is it? Need to adjust vertical beam - higher please!
>
> I've tried the black plastic hexagonal adjustor thingy above the wiring on
> the central bulb connection and I've tried the white hexagonal plastic
> adjuster thingy behind and below the central bulb wiring connection, but
> nothing moves!
>
> Thanks,
> GT

On my 156 it's the black adjuster thingy. If your helpful MOT tester has
wound it down too far it may have gone off the end of the thread. Every year
the tester winds the lights down, and at the first opportunity I wind them
back up again ...

DAS

Old February 7th 10, 08:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

David A Stocks wrote:
> "GT" > wrote in message
>> OK, I give in - where is it? Need to adjust vertical beam - higher
>> please!
>>
>> I've tried the black plastic hexagonal adjustor thingy above the
>> wiring on the central bulb connection and I've tried the white
>> hexagonal plastic adjuster thingy behind and below the central bulb
>> wiring connection, but nothing moves!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> GT
>>

> On my 156 it's the black adjuster thingy. If your helpful MOT tester has
> wound it down too far it may have gone off the end of the thread. Every
> year the tester winds the lights down, and at the first opportunity I
> wind them back up again ...

Sounds like a plan

Old February 8th 10, 12:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> David A Stocks wrote:
>> "GT" > wrote in message
>>> OK, I give in - where is it? Need to adjust vertical beam - higher
>>> please!
>>>
>>> I've tried the black plastic hexagonal adjustor thingy above the wiring
>>> on the central bulb connection and I've tried the white hexagonal
>>> plastic adjuster thingy behind and below the central bulb wiring
>>> connection, but nothing moves!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> GT
>>>

>> On my 156 it's the black adjuster thingy. If your helpful MOT tester has
>> wound it down too far it may have gone off the end of the thread. Every
>> year the tester winds the lights down, and at the first opportunity I
>> wind them back up again ...

> Sounds like a plan

I tried turning that one, but it was very stiff and didn't make any
difference - is there a lock somewhere to prevent the lights from moving
when the car goes over bumps etc. Perhaps i have to 'unlock' things before I
can turn this screw? Also, how much pressure do you normally have to use to
turn the screw - finger tight or plyers?

Old February 8th 10, 02:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

>GT" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> David A Stocks wrote:

>>> On my 156 it's the black adjuster thingy. If your helpful MOT tester has
>>> wound it down too far it may have gone off the end of the thread. Every
>>> year the tester winds the lights down, and at the first opportunity I
>>> wind them back up again ...

>> Sounds like a plan

> I tried turning that one, but it was very stiff and didn't make any
> difference - is there a lock somewhere to prevent the lights from moving
> when the car goes over bumps etc. Perhaps i have to 'unlock' things before
> I can turn this screw? Also, how much pressure do you normally have to use
> to turn the screw - finger tight or plyers?

If there's any similarity to my departed 147, the plastic bit moved freely
but didn't actually do anything..... the adjustment was made with a hex
(allen) key in the centre of it. On the other hand it's probably nothing
like the same!

Old February 8th 10, 08:47 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

David A Stocks spoke:
> On my 156 it's the black adjuster thingy. If your helpful MOT tester has
> wound it down too far it may have gone off the end of the thread. Every year
> the tester winds the lights down, and at the first opportunity I wind them
> back up again ...

My MOT man, every year, could not get my Galant lights low enough, so he wedged
them down with some folded cardboard, which at the first opportunity I removed.

Do you think the current MOT spec for headlight aim might be a bit stringent?

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old February 8th 10, 09:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"GT" > wrote in message
> OK, I give in - where is it? Need to adjust vertical beam - higher please!
>
> I've tried the black plastic hexagonal adjustor thingy above the wiring on
> the central bulb connection and I've tried the white hexagonal plastic
> adjuster thingy behind and below the central bulb wiring connection, but
> nothing moves!
>
> Thanks,
> GT

SUCCESS!

Thanks to David's reassurance that I was turning the right screw, I went at
it with vigor! I was being far too gentle with it - I had carefully
persuaded it just a half turn 1 way, then back again, then a little more the
other way and when nothing changed, I decided to leave well alone as it felt
like such a fragile plastic 'knob'. Now I know its the right 'thingy', about
3 squeeky, bendy full turns one way has brought the lights back up to their
former glory! If they are too high, then I can adjust them from the drivers
seat, but too low is just nasty.

Still want Xenon HID tho, but they'll have to wait until next month - SWMBO
just started a driving school and all my money (and hers) went on the little
Kia Picanto she is now using. I have 12p left this month (I exaggerate not).
Not bad for the money tho - under 5k for a 6 month old car aint bad. The
MiTo and the fiat 500 are desirable, but silly money for ADI insurance!

So... Anyone need patient, female driving tuition in the Kirkcaldy / central
fife area? Manual or automatic. Good startup prices! Advance block
discounts. And no - you can't learn in the 156!!

Cheers for the help everyone,
GT

Old February 8th 10, 09:31 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> David A Stocks spoke:
>> On my 156 it's the black adjuster thingy. If your helpful MOT tester has
>> wound it down too far it may have gone off the end of the thread. Every
>> year
>> the tester winds the lights down, and at the first opportunity I wind
>> them
>> back up again ...

> My MOT man, every year, could not get my Galant lights low enough, so he
> wedged
> them down with some folded cardboard, which at the first opportunity I
> removed.
>
> Do you think the current MOT spec for headlight aim might be a bit
> stringent?

If they are, then they should test some of the french cars more often - when
I'm dazzled by excessively high headlights, 9 times out of 10 its a peugeot.
Same for fog lights left on - always renaults!

Old February 8th 10, 09:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "GT" > wrote in message
>> OK, I give in - where is it? Need to adjust vertical beam - higher please!
>>
>> I've tried the black plastic hexagonal adjustor thingy above the wiring on
>> the central bulb connection and I've tried the white hexagonal plastic
>> adjuster thingy behind and below the central bulb wiring connection, but
>> nothing moves!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> GT

> SUCCESS!
>
> Thanks to David's reassurance that I was turning the right screw, I went at
> it with vigor!

Did you tootle it as well?

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

99 Minivan headlight adjustment Satan Himself Chrysler 0 November 17th 07 03:56 PM
Headlight Adjustment 99 Caravan honk_on_bobo Dodge 0 August 4th 07 07:07 PM
headlight adjustment giveitup Dodge 2 August 10th 05 08:36 PM
headlight adjustment on 98 v6 Pirho Ford Mustang 1 February 6th 05 04:20 AM
Headlight adjustment Toby Groves Audi 3 June 8th 04 08:50 PM