Just been to collect my 75

Old September 5th 09, 06:00 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Default Just been to collect my 75

from the garage where I keep it, around 10 miles away.

Haven't had a chance to use it since the first week of June, but once
I'd disconnected the battery, it fired up pretty much instantly.

Who says Alfas are unreliable?

Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed - Alfa 75 TSpark Lusso -
Ducati 750SS - BMW R100RT - Toyota Prius T-Spirit
Old September 5th 09, 07:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
John Chapman[_2_]

SteveH wrote:
> from the garage where I keep it, around 10 miles away.
>
> Haven't had a chance to use it since the first week of June, but once
> I'd disconnected the battery, it fired up pretty much instantly.
>
> Who says Alfas are unreliable?

My 146 was very reliable over 90000 miles and never let me down.
Mind you I could never make it start with the battery disconnected.
That is a skill I do not yet possess ;-)
Old September 5th 09, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

John Chapman > wrote:

> SteveH wrote:
> > from the garage where I keep it, around 10 miles away.
> >
> > Haven't had a chance to use it since the first week of June, but once
> > I'd disconnected the battery, it fired up pretty much instantly.
> >
> > Who says Alfas are unreliable?
> >

> My 146 was very reliable over 90000 miles and never let me down.
> Mind you I could never make it start with the battery disconnected.
> That is a skill I do not yet possess ;-)

Doh!

'Re-connected'.

The 75 is on 132k-ish miles now and has only once left me stranded at
the side of the road.
Old September 5th 09, 07:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
John Chapman[_2_]

SteveH wrote:
> John Chapman > wrote:
>

>> My 146 was very reliable over 90000 miles and never let me down.
>> Mind you I could never make it start with the battery disconnected.
>> That is a skill I do not yet possess ;-)
>>

> Doh!
>
> 'Re-connected'.
>
> The 75 is on 132k-ish miles now and has only once left me stranded at
> the side of the road.

At 90k miles the brake pipes on my 146 began to get seriously corroded
and would
fail the MOT so I traded it for a GT.
I had hoped to cover at least 100k miles in it.
Why are brake pipes still made from metal that will corrode ?
I seem to remember replacing a fixed brake pipe with one made
up from copper many years ago on a Renault 4.

Old September 6th 09, 09:33 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:00:17 +0100, (SteveH)
wrote:

>Who says Alfas are unreliable?

Well..in over 8 years of driving my Alfa, it let me down for one fault
- a dying crank rpm sensor. There were a couple of other incidents but
they weren't the Alfa's fault - like the time number one bairn decided
to put the rear courtesy light on before I parked the thing up for 10
days!! Up until the Alfa was 7, AA membership had been a complete
waste of money. :-) Not too shabby.

One thing that bugged me with the Alfa has been it's monotonous
ability to require large amounts of work *every* time it went in for
an annual service even though the mileage was very low. Last time it
was rear pads and disks, handbrake cable and rear brake pipes.
However, I don't think Alfas (or even my Alfa) is remotely unique in
this matter.

Having said that, I've never felt overwhelmingly reassured of the
quality of parts or build of my 156 (front door handles, exhaust,
alloys, deep pile carpets and leather excepted). The knocking and
creaking from the front suspension over the last 6 years that no
garage can (will?) fix plus the numerous rattles, clonks, creaks and
squeaks from the cabin depending on the day of the week! Yes, I got
used to them. But when in somebody else's car, the silence made me
feel like I owned a kit car some idiot had built in a hurry.

Stupidest/funniest thing was when I cam out of a Tescos on a seriously
hot sunny day here this summer (early on!) to find one of the side
skirts had expanded in the heat and bulged out from the bodywork over
half its length by about 10cm.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old September 6th 09, 11:11 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:00:17 +0100, (SteveH)
> wrote:
>
>> Who says Alfas are unreliable?

> Well..in over 8 years of driving my Alfa, it let me down for one fault
> - a dying crank rpm sensor. There were a couple of other incidents but
> they weren't the Alfa's fault - like the time number one bairn decided
> to put the rear courtesy light on before I parked the thing up for 10
> days!! Up until the Alfa was 7, AA membership had been a complete
> waste of money. :-) Not too shabby.

I've been in Alfas only since about 82. Can count the number of
breakdowns on the fingers of one hand.

> One thing that bugged me with the Alfa has been it's monotonous
> ability to require large amounts of work *every* time it went in for
> an annual service even though the mileage was very low. Last time it
> was rear pads and disks, handbrake cable and rear brake pipes.
> However, I don't think Alfas (or even my Alfa) is remotely unique in
> this matter.

Indeed.

> Having said that, I've never felt overwhelmingly reassured of the
> quality of parts or build of my 156 (front door handles, exhaust,
> alloys, deep pile carpets and leather excepted). The knocking and
> creaking from the front suspension over the last 6 years that no
> garage can (will?) fix plus the numerous rattles, clonks, creaks and
> squeaks from the cabin depending on the day of the week! Yes, I got
> used to them. But when in somebody else's car, the silence made me
> feel like I owned a kit car some idiot had built in a hurry.

Now that's odd. SWMBO currently has the 'pleasure' of a Vauxhall Astra
1.6 from the insco of the idiot that took her roughly. It's a horrid
*horrid* thing. Apart from being dog slow, it's rough, plasticky and
generally very nastily built. Yes it has toys, but ewwww.

I also feel pretty much the same about my mother's C5, my boss's 9-5 and
some of my staff have Merc C100s. Even worse than the Astra IMHO. So
not sure what cars you are getting in to

> Stupidest/funniest thing was when I cam out of a Tescos on a seriously
> hot sunny day here this summer (early on!) to find one of the side
> skirts had expanded in the heat and bulged out from the bodywork over
> half its length by about 10cm.

That's unusual

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old September 6th 09, 05:54 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:11:03 +0100, Catman
> wrote:

>not sure what cars you are getting in to

A BMW..sadly.

Old September 6th 09, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Zathras > wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:11:03 +0100, Catman
> > wrote:
>

> >not sure what cars you are getting in to

> A BMW..sadly.

Hmmm, which model?

I've tested a 120d and 320d - both were hugely disappointing in terms of
fit / finish / 'feel'. They're not actually as well built as BMW would
have you believe and the supposedly 'class leading' 2lt diesel is no
more refined than the old PD boat anchor I had in my Passat.

I actually think the 159 is a significantly higher quality car than the
3-series and the 147, although dated, is no worse than a 1-series - in
many ways it's better, as it is not only pretty nicely finished, but
also has usable rear seats and a half decent sized boot.
Old September 6th 09, 06:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:11:03 +0100, Catman
> > wrote:
>

>> not sure what cars you are getting in to

> A BMW..sadly.

SWMBO refuses to have one.

Old September 6th 09, 09:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 17:59:03 +0100, (SteveH)
wrote:

>Zathras > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:11:03 +0100, Catman
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >not sure what cars you are getting in to

>> A BMW..sadly.

>Hmmm, which model?

3 litre 325d. Not remotely pretty but it would be impossible to choose
a 2.4 JTDm over even that low tune 3 litre BMW engine..

The current 2.4 JTDm is, frankly, embarrassing due to it being
unbelievably clicky/rattly - far, far worse than my 2001 car. :-((( I
compared one to a black taxi the other day and the taxi sounded much
more refined! This sad state of affairs was brought to my attention by
an Australian review of a 2.4 TI. Great car but they were particularly
scathing about the sound of the engine. I had to find out for
myself..and they were right. :-( I *really* fancied a 159 2.4JTDm TI
as well!!

>I've tested a 120d and 320d - both were hugely disappointing in terms of
>fit / finish / 'feel'. They're not actually as well built as BMW would
>have you believe and the supposedly 'class leading' 2lt diesel is no
>more refined than the old PD boat anchor I had in my Passat.

That doesn't surprise me - I tend not to believe anyone related to the
motor industry. I think blind press repetition doesn't help either. I
don't think Alfas are as bad as they say or BMW/Audi/Merc are as good
as they say. Also, some manufacturers are undoubtedly cheapening their
product to maximise profits (or is that minimise losses?!).

I've never liked the sound of any 4 cylinder diesel. That's why I
bought the 5 cylinder JTD - I still love the sound it makes. It's loud
but tuneful and the diesel rattle only becomes bad when more than a
few degrees below zero.

>I actually think the 159 is a significantly higher quality car than the
>3-series and the 147, although dated, is no worse than a 1-series - in
>many ways it's better, as it is not only pretty nicely finished, but
>also has usable rear seats and a half decent sized boot.

I think it's quite difficult to tell real 'quality' until you've lived
with a product for a time and seen how it copes with the ravages of
use. Superficially, you can like the look and feeling of surface
materials but can you really tell how well are they held in place?