Wheel bolt snapped

Old May 30th 09, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tall Dave

Default Wheel bolt snapped

Hi,

I was getting my 166 ready for its MOT and swapping the tyres around to get
even wear and - IDIOT me overtigthened a front wheel bolt and it snapped!!!
Much swearing followed "****** **** ***** ******"
I wouldn't mind but I only had the front wheel disc replaced 3K miles ago.

Do you think it will be possible for a half decent mechanic to get the
snapped bolt out of the disc or will the disk have to be replaced?

Cheers

Tall Dave
(I'm not Tall)

Old May 30th 09, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Tall Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was getting my 166 ready for its MOT and swapping the tyres around to get
> even wear and - IDIOT me overtigthened a front wheel bolt and it snapped!!!
> Much swearing followed "****** **** ***** ******"
> I wouldn't mind but I only had the front wheel disc replaced 3K miles ago.
>
> Do you think it will be possible for a half decent mechanic to get the
> snapped bolt out of the disc or will the disk have to be replaced?

<mode = UKRM>
1) Tack weld a lump of something to the stub (assuming it's above the
surface) and use it to extract.
2) Angle grind a slot in the top and use a damn great screwdriver
3) Centre punch, hand drill, left handed drill bit or an easy out.
</ukrm>

In short, yes, should be dead simple.

> Cheers
>
> Tall Dave
> (I'm not Tall)

I am quite tall, but I don't find I have to tell people. They tend to
notice

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old May 30th 09, 05:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_32_]

Catman wrote:
> Tall Dave wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was getting my 166 ready for its MOT and swapping the tyres around
>> to get even wear and - IDIOT me overtigthened a front wheel bolt and
>> it snapped!!! Much swearing followed "****** **** ***** ******"
>> I wouldn't mind but I only had the front wheel disc replaced 3K miles
>> ago.
>>
>> Do you think it will be possible for a half decent mechanic to get the
>> snapped bolt out of the disc or will the disk have to be replaced?

> <mode = UKRM>
> 1) Tack weld a lump of something to the stub (assuming it's above the
> surface) and use it to extract.
> 2) Angle grind a slot in the top and use a damn great screwdriver
> 3) Centre punch, hand drill, left handed drill bit or an easy out.
> </ukrm>
>
> In short, yes, should be dead simple.
>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Tall Dave
>> (I'm not Tall)

> I am quite tall, but I don't find I have to tell people. They tend to
> notice

You know, the AROC doesn't seem to work as nicely as this user group.
There is something much more compelling about this than that!

Catman (tall or short), I think your answer is brilliant. As ever. A man
with much knowledge.

Old May 30th 09, 05:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tall Dave

"Catman" > wrote in message
> Tall Dave wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was getting my 166 ready for its MOT and swapping the tyres around to
>> get even wear and - IDIOT me overtigthened a front wheel bolt and it
>> snapped!!! Much swearing followed "****** **** ***** ******"
>> I wouldn't mind but I only had the front wheel disc replaced 3K miles
>> ago.
>>
>> Do you think it will be possible for a half decent mechanic to get the
>> snapped bolt out of the disc or will the disk have to be replaced?

> <mode = UKRM>
> 1) Tack weld a lump of something to the stub (assuming it's above the
> surface) and use it to extract.
> 2) Angle grind a slot in the top and use a damn great screwdriver
> 3) Centre punch, hand drill, left handed drill bit or an easy out.
> </ukrm>
>
> In short, yes, should be dead simple.
>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Tall Dave
>> (I'm not Tall)

> I am quite tall, but I don't find I have to tell people. They tend to
> notice

Thanks Catman, I am reassured by your response, my annoyance is
subsiding,just a beer required to restore my usual happy
demeanour.....please have one yourself...cheers!

Old May 30th 09, 06:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Jim wrote:
> Catman wrote:
>> Tall Dave wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was getting my 166 ready for its MOT and swapping the tyres around
>>> to get even wear and - IDIOT me overtigthened a front wheel bolt and
>>> it snapped!!! Much swearing followed "****** **** ***** ******"
>>> I wouldn't mind but I only had the front wheel disc replaced 3K miles
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> Do you think it will be possible for a half decent mechanic to get
>>> the snapped bolt out of the disc or will the disk have to be replaced?

>> <mode = UKRM>
>> 1) Tack weld a lump of something to the stub (assuming it's above the
>> surface) and use it to extract.
>> 2) Angle grind a slot in the top and use a damn great screwdriver
>> 3) Centre punch, hand drill, left handed drill bit or an easy out.
>> </ukrm>
>>
>> In short, yes, should be dead simple.
>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Tall Dave
>>> (I'm not Tall)

>> I am quite tall, but I don't find I have to tell people. They tend to
>> notice
>>

> You know, the AROC doesn't seem to work as nicely as this user group.
> There is something much more compelling about this than that!

It's just a shame there are so few of us.
<mode = old man>
When I create this group, usenet was the way. Then they invented these
new fangled web forum thingumies.

Now everyone uses them cos most people don't even know what Usenet is.

I must confess that I have searched Alfaowner in the past.

</old man>
It's nice to see some lurkers, though. SteveH, Zathras and myself seem
to be the last of the old guard.

RC Nesbit is a newby, but we know him from another place

> Catman (tall or short), I think your answer is brilliant. As ever. A man
> with much knowledge.

Glad to be of service.
Old May 30th 09, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Tall Dave wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> Tall Dave wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was getting my 166 ready for its MOT and swapping the tyres around to
>>> get even wear and - IDIOT me overtigthened a front wheel bolt and it
>>> snapped!!! Much swearing followed "****** **** ***** ******"
>>> I wouldn't mind but I only had the front wheel disc replaced 3K miles
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> Do you think it will be possible for a half decent mechanic to get the
>>> snapped bolt out of the disc or will the disk have to be replaced?

>> <mode = UKRM>
>> 1) Tack weld a lump of something to the stub (assuming it's above the
>> surface) and use it to extract.
>> 2) Angle grind a slot in the top and use a damn great screwdriver
>> 3) Centre punch, hand drill, left handed drill bit or an easy out.
>> </ukrm>
>>
>> In short, yes, should be dead simple.
>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Tall Dave
>>> (I'm not Tall)

>> I am quite tall, but I don't find I have to tell people. They tend to
>> notice
>>

> Thanks Catman, I am reassured by your response, my annoyance is
> subsiding,just a beer required to restore my usual happy
> demeanour.....please have one yourself...cheers!

Thanks. My pimms is icey cold, may your barbequeue never fail

Old May 30th 09, 08:51 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Catman > wrote:

> I must confess that I have searched Alfaowner in the past.

I'm banned from there.

> </old man>
> It's nice to see some lurkers, though. SteveH, Zathras and myself seem
> to be the last of the old guard.

Less of the old ;-)
Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed - Alfa 75 TSpark Lusso
Ducati 750SS - BMW R100RT - Company Hack Focus TDCI
Old May 30th 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>> I must confess that I have searched Alfaowner in the past.

> I'm banned from there.
>
>> </old man>
>> It's nice to see some lurkers, though. SteveH, Zathras and myself seem
>> to be the last of the old guard.

> Less of the old ;-)

Yes, I forgot you're just a whipper snapper.

Old May 31st 09, 02:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Emerson

"Catman" > wrote in message
> SteveH wrote:
>> Catman > wrote:
>>
>>> I must confess that I have searched Alfaowner in the past.

>> I'm banned from there.
>>
>>> </old man>
>>> It's nice to see some lurkers, though. SteveH, Zathras and myself seem
>>> to be the last of the old guard.

>> Less of the old ;-)

> Yes, I forgot you're just a whipper snapper.

I can admit to being old and I suspect my 1750 GT Veloce is older than most
on here....

--
Dave
ex Motorcycle Maintenance Workshop

Old May 31st 09, 05:00 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Dave Emerson wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> SteveH wrote:

>>> I'm banned from there.

>>> Less of the old ;-)

>> Yes, I forgot you're just a whipper snapper.

> I can admit to being old and I suspect my 1750 GT Veloce is older than most
> on here....

Hmm, what year? It'll be likely older than me.

Snapped off an exhaust bolt wb Jeep 32 February 8th 07 04:40 PM
Wheel Bolt Pattern Spdloader Jeep 5 January 2nd 06 07:24 PM
SAE Grade-8 bolt snapped @135ft/lbs ultralight 4x4 12 March 12th 05 03:29 PM
Bummer - removed tire 1 wk after tire store put it on...snapped off the threads on one of the wheel studs Gordon McGrew Honda 3 September 29th 04 01:14 AM
Bummer - removed tire 1 wk after tire store put it on... snapped off the threads on one of the wheel studs Nick Honda 0 September 22nd 04 02:10 PM