Enable day time running lights DRL's

Old April 13th 07, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bart Oleksy

Default Enable day time running lights DRL's

daytripper wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:12:39 -0600, Bart Oleksy > wrote:
>
>> Marcus Redd wrote:
>>> "Bart Oleksy" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> Sounds rather interesting - is there a page anywhere that shows just what
>>> settings you can change on each car?
>>>

>> Sort of... you have to dig around for a while, but there are a few sites
>> that have some good detailed info on what you can do and how to do it.
>> I haven't done much yet - I was having some laptop issues but managed to
>> get the software on the laptop to recognize that it's connected to an
>> Audi "computer".
>>
>> If you get one of these 'clone' USB cables, you might be distressed that
>> the software won't find the car computer... turns out that the clone USB
>> cables actually emulate a serial cable, so try one of the COM1/2/3 ports
>> instead of the USB port when connecting.
>>
>> That took me a while to figure out... <sigh>
>>
>> Bart

> The Audi repair CDs from Bentley have sections on coding with tables that show
> which bits or combination of bits control which feature(s) to be enabled. Also
> provides DTC codes for all functional units, plus diagnostic routines for
> same.
>
> The combination of the Bentley CD and VAG-COM is very effective in de-liaring
> dealer techs ;-)

True enough! But then you're talking "real" money for the Bentley
stuff, no?

Without Bentley, you're looking at $25-ish (if you have a laptop
already, or can plug in a desktop computer & monitor near your car!), so
that's pretty minimal for guys like me who would barely know where to
start with Bentley...

Bart

Old April 13th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

Old April 13th 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bart Oleksy

daytripper wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:09:06 -0600, Bart Oleksy > wrote:
>
>> daytripper wrote:

>>> The Audi repair CDs from Bentley have sections on coding with tables that show
>>> which bits or combination of bits control which feature(s) to be enabled. Also
>>> provides DTC codes for all functional units, plus diagnostic routines for
>>> same.
>>>
>>> The combination of the Bentley CD and VAG-COM is very effective in de-liaring
>>> dealer techs ;-)
>>>

>> True enough! But then you're talking "real" money for the Bentley
>> stuff, no?
>>
>> Without Bentley, you're looking at $25-ish (if you have a laptop
>> already, or can plug in a desktop computer & monitor near your car!), so
>> that's pretty minimal for guys like me who would barely know where to
>> start with Bentley...
>>
>> Bart
>>
>>> /daytripper
>>> '00 s4 6spd

> Yes, it is the full, licensed version of VAG-COM, and their dongle as well,
> and a bought version of the Bentley S4 CD, all running on one of my laptops.
>
> The VAG-COM kit was the first thing I bought when I got my S4.
> The second thing was the Bentley.
>
> With the two of them I was able to diagnose the only problem I've had to date
> - a MAF that had aged out of adaptation range - as well as modifying some of
> the S4's convenience feature settings.

Very cool - wish I could do all that. It's mostly Greek to me, though.
I figure I can handle convenience settings & the like, and that's
worth the $25-ish for the cable and a little time to download the
software and look for the right codes to use.

I'm sure your initial investment has paid for itself several times over
by the savings on repairs!

Bart

Old April 13th 07, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

Old April 13th 07, 11:30 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Marcus Redd

"Bart Oleksy" > wrote in message
.. .
> Marcus Redd wrote:
>> "Bart Oleksy" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> Sort of... you have to dig around for a while, but there are a few sites
>>> that have some good detailed info on what you can do and how to do it. I
>>> haven't done much yet - I was having some laptop issues but managed to
>>> get the software on the laptop to recognize that it's connected to an
>>> Audi "computer".
>>>
>>> If you get one of these 'clone' USB cables, you might be distressed that
>>> the software won't find the car computer... turns out that the clone USB
>>> cables actually emulate a serial cable, so try one of the COM1/2/3 ports
>>> instead of the USB port when connecting.
>>>
>>> That took me a while to figure out... <sigh>

>> Hehehe... so where might one aquire this software? eBay or something?

> No, the software's available as 'shareware' (or maybe even freeware - I
> didn't notice anything about sending in payment if you like it).
> Essentially you're getting an older version of the Ross-tech software for
> 'free', but you'd pay for the more recent version. Certainly if you're
> running a mechanic's shop you'd want the pay version, but I can barely
> change my oil so I don't need much!
>
> I got the CABLE off eBay for cheap, and some of them have links to where
> you can download the software.

Ahhhh! So, any tips where I might get this shareware? Or what it's called so
I can Google it?

Old April 14th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:30:14 +0100, "Marcus Redd" > wrote:

>"Bart Oleksy" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Marcus Redd wrote:
>>> "Bart Oleksy" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> Hehehe... so where might one aquire this software? eBay or something?

>> No, the software's available as 'shareware' (or maybe even freeware - I
>> didn't notice anything about sending in payment if you like it).
>> Essentially you're getting an older version of the Ross-tech software for
>> 'free', but you'd pay for the more recent version. Certainly if you're
>> running a mechanic's shop you'd want the pay version, but I can barely
>> change my oil so I don't need much!
>>
>> I got the CABLE off eBay for cheap, and some of them have links to where
>> you can download the software.

>Ahhhh! So, any tips where I might get this shareware? Or what it's called so
>I can Google it?

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old April 14th 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Marcus Redd

"daytripper" > wrote in message
>>Ahhhh! So, any tips where I might get this shareware? Or what it's called
>>so
>>I can Google it?

> http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/

Thankyou!