Brera review

Old May 11th 06, 10:53 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default Brera review

Motors TV review on the V6 Brera he

http://tinyurl.com/g3rdv

The worrying bit for the Alfisti:

"However, under the bonnet that classic Italian sensation is gone and
that is the biggest criticism that can be made about the Brera. The 260
brake horsepower 3.2-litre V6 is GM built, or rather Holden and not Alfa
Romeo. There isn’t any of the superb chrome but rather some very
unattractive plastic and once you turn the key…that Alfa soul is
desperately missing…so is that sweet engine sound."

This does rather go against most other reviews that claim the V6 retains
the Alfa spirit.

Anyone here driven the new 159 or Brera V6?

Cheers
Tony
Old May 11th 06, 11:45 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Not yet.
I'm looking the swap my Alfa this year, but there is nothing
(reasonably priced) that takes my fancy. The Brera after all this
anticipation looks a bit dissapointing.

Old May 11th 06, 12:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Tony Rickard wrote:

> Motors TV review on the V6 Brera he
>
> http://tinyurl.com/g3rdv
>
> The worrying bit for the Alfisti:
>
> "However, under the bonnet that classic Italian sensation is gone and
> that is the biggest criticism that can be made about the Brera. The 260
> brake horsepower 3.2-litre V6 is GM built, or rather Holden and not Alfa
> Romeo. There isn?t any of the superb chrome but rather some very
> unattractive plastic and once you turn the key?that Alfa soul is
> desperately missing?so is that sweet engine sound."
>
> This does rather go against most other reviews that claim the V6 retains
> the Alfa spirit.

Frankly I think most of them make it up on the spur of the moment, and
probably don't have the experience needed to make a valid judgment.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old May 11th 06, 01:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Catman wrote:

>> This does rather go against most other reviews that claim the V6 retains
>> the Alfa spirit.

> Frankly I think most of them make it up on the spur of the moment, and
> probably don't have the experience needed to make a valid judgment.

That is why I was keen to get a view from an Alfa enthusiast who has
actually driven one rather than another journalist's view. Ideally
someone who knows the old V6 and can compare.

Cheers
Tony
Old May 11th 06, 01:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> Frankly I think most of them make it up on the spur of the moment, and
> probably don't have the experience needed to make a valid judgment.

Yeah, What Car was moaning about the lack of space in the back. Its a
coupe ffs.

Having seen one for the 1st time in the flesh today, wow. Very nice
indeed, the 159 looks fantastic as well, much smaller than I thought.

Old May 11th 06, 04:24 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:44:08 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Frankly I think most of them make it up on the spur of the moment, and
>probably don't have the experience needed to make a valid judgment.

I sometimes wonder if they even drive the car sometimes..it's easy to
go on the Internet and cobble up a review!

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old May 11th 06, 10:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Zathras wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:44:08 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
> >Frankly I think most of them make it up on the spur of the moment, and
> >probably don't have the experience needed to make a valid judgment.

> I sometimes wonder if they even drive the car sometimes..it's easy to
> go on the Internet and cobble up a review!

The 2 reports I have seen have both been on the same small narrow road
track where you could not swing a cat anyway. I would much rather see
it going round a track like Brands Hatch or Silverstone.
John,UK.

Old May 12th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

On 11 May 2006 14:11:02 -0700, "John, UK." >
wrote:

>Zathras wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:44:08 GMT, Catman
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Frankly I think most of them make it up on the spur of the moment, and
>> >probably don't have the experience needed to make a valid judgment.

>> I sometimes wonder if they even drive the car sometimes..it's easy to
>> go on the Internet and cobble up a review!

>The 2 reports I have seen have both been on the same small narrow road
>track where you could not swing a cat anyway. I would much rather see
>it going round a track like Brands Hatch or Silverstone.
>John,UK.

mmm... it's true the engine is not totally from Alfa, but it's
completely reworked to match Alfa requirements!
Remember that one test in AR is that the engine must work at full
power for a certain amount of time (I do not remember how much) and we
must remember that the "original motor" was not strong enough...
Apart this boosting, in Alfa have tuned the motor also for the sound!
I can accept the crying of the motor is not like the old twin sparks
or, better, the old boxers... but remember that designers had to put
some acoustic isolation... these type of cars are no more only toys...
I have an Alfa GT and it is a true all days car... and very very
very... very nice to drive!

Bye,
Flavio - Italy - Alfa Romeo GT

>> --
>> Scotland
>> Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
>> 'Oil' be seeing you..
>> (Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)

Top Gear <<< Ferrari F430 >>> Review [video] Tomes Antique cars 0 January 12th 06 04:43 AM
Top Gear <<< Ferrari F430 >>> Review [video] Tomes Driving 0 January 12th 06 04:43 AM
alfa brera nipi Alfa Romeo 3 November 13th 05 12:59 AM
rFactor review Tony Rickard Simulators 66 September 7th 05 06:22 PM
Brera [email protected] Alfa Romeo 2 July 2nd 05 10:02 PM