Firing order question

Old August 3rd 12, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mr. K[_2_]

Default Firing order question

4321.. wouldn't it be smoother if the order fired one side of the engine
then the other? like 4231 ?
yes, I have an inquiring mind.
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old August 3rd 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 16:02:24 +0200, Mr. K > wrote:

> 4321.. wouldn't it be smoother if the order fired one side of the engine
> then the other? like 4231 ?
> yes, I have an inquiring mind.

The firing order is 1432, so it does alternate sides.

J.

Old August 4th 12, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

143214321432, yeh, its 4,3 and then 2,1. Must be better to have one pair
side firing then the other side pair than individually ?. Then again my
inline 4 cylinder cars have had same firing sequence. After scribbling out
sequences for a moment the only one that truly alternates is 132413241324
etc.
May be others!?
Probably a reason there somewhere , even the "streakers defence" = it
seemed like a good idea at the time!!!

JS

news

Old August 4th 12, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Viet Vet

In article >,
"John" > wrote:

> 143214321432, yeh, its 4,3 and then 2,1. Must be better to have one pair
> side firing then the other side pair than individually ?. Then again my
> inline 4 cylinder cars have had same firing sequence. After scribbling out
> sequences for a moment the only one that truly alternates is 132413241324
> etc.
> May be others!?
> Probably a reason there somewhere , even the "streakers defence" = it
> seemed like a good idea at the time!!!
>
> JS
>
> "P.J.Berg" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 16:02:24 +0200, Mr. K > wrote:
> >
> >> 4321.. wouldn't it be smoother if the order fired one side of the engine
> >> then the other? like 4231 ?
> >> yes, I have an inquiring mind.

> > The firing order is 1432, so it does alternate sides.
> >
> > J.
> > --
> > Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

> > ---

maybe this is why the DP motors had separate Ports. but they still share
that same tube closer to the carb. I THINK its more difficult to do it
on the cam. 1423 or 1324
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old August 10th 12, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

On 8/3/2012 11:20 AM, P.J.Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 16:02:24 +0200, Mr. K > wrote:
>
>> 4321.. wouldn't it be smoother if the order fired one side of the engine
>> then the other? like 4231 ?
>> yes, I have an inquiring mind.

> The firing order is 1432, so it does alternate sides.
>
> J.

It doesn't matter which cylinder you're starting with, the way VW
designed it is that two cylinders on one side are fired in succession
before the two on the other side are fired, i.e. 3 follows 4, and 1
follows 2. The cylinder being fired alternates from left to right bank
only once in the 4-cylinder cycle.

What Mr. K is asking is why doesn't it alternate sides after each time a
cylinder is fired so that the fired cylinder alternates sides twice in
the 4-cylinder cycle.

In a water-cooled car where the cylinders are inside the case you don't
want adjacent cylinders firing in succession -- thus avoiding localized
heat build-up.

Old August 10th 12, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 8/9/2012 9:31 PM, Randall wrote:
> On 8/3/2012 11:20 AM, P.J.Berg wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 16:02:24 +0200, Mr. K > wrote:
>>
>>> 4321.. wouldn't it be smoother if the order fired one side of the engine
>>> then the other? like 4231 ?
>>> yes, I have an inquiring mind.

>> The firing order is 1432, so it does alternate sides.
>>
>> J.

> It doesn't matter which cylinder you're starting with, the way VW
> designed it is that two cylinders on one side are fired in succession
> before the two on the other side are fired, i.e. 3 follows 4, and 1
> follows 2. The cylinder being fired alternates from left to right bank
> only once in the 4-cylinder cycle.
>
> What Mr. K is asking is why doesn't it alternate sides after each time a
> cylinder is fired so that the fired cylinder alternates sides twice in
> the 4-cylinder cycle.
>
> In a water-cooled car where the cylinders are inside the case you don't
> want adjacent cylinders firing in succession -- thus avoiding localized
> heat build-up.

Besides, in a water-cooled car...... Nah, who cares

Jan

Question: firing order goodnigh Ford Mustang 4 October 27th 06 05:14 AM
Firing order meeker Technology 1 May 11th 06 10:23 PM
Firing order for M52 TJB BMW 5 March 10th 05 03:17 AM
Firing Order Don Jeep 4 February 13th 05 09:32 PM
Firing order? lp13-30 Chrysler 4 October 17th 04 05:09 PM