alternative way to extract cel/mil codes

Old June 18th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default alternative way to extract cel/mil codes

hi,

i read my cel/mil codes just a couple weeks ago, (o2 sensor was
replaced). the lite comes on again but now the data link connector
doesnt want to give the codes up, i must have mung it u someway.
i tried to "3m" the light green/yellow wire from #10 on the dlc and
use a coat hanger to engine ground but i still dont get any blinks.

is there another way to extract codes, maybe from the ecu directly?

tia,
peter
Old June 18th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 6/18/2011 1:08 PM, peter wrote:
> hi,
>
> i read my cel/mil codes just a couple weeks ago, (o2 sensor was
> replaced). the lite comes on again but now the data link connector
> doesnt want to give the codes up, i must have mung it u someway.
> i tried to "3m" the light green/yellow wire from #10 on the dlc and
> use a coat hanger to engine ground but i still dont get any blinks.
>
> is there another way to extract codes, maybe from the ecu directly?
>
> tia,
> peter

If you have a 99 (maybe some 97s) or later, there are no blink codes for
the ECU. The tens to ground forces "open loop", and has no direct
relation to blink codes. Effectively, there are three wires involved in
the diagnostic plug under the dash. Ground, power, and the signal line.
If the code reader turns on, ground and power are likely OK.

Old June 19th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Jun 18, 1:57*pm, charlie > wrote:

> If you have a 99 (maybe some 97s) or later, there are no blink codes for
> the ECU. The tens to ground forces "open loop", and has no direct
> relation to blink codes. *Effectively, there are three wires involved in
> the diagnostic plug under the dash. Ground, power, and the signal line.
> If the code reader turns on, ground and power are likely OK.

opps forgot to say early 95 m-ed.
i believe odb II came in some late 95's
peter

clearing MIL codes Mel P.[_2_] Jeep 3 December 8th 07 08:11 PM
300M misfire code P0302 -> no coil codes, no injector codes? MoPar Man Chrysler 33 November 3rd 07 11:35 PM
CEL Codes on 98 3.8l vert Rob[_4_] Ford Mustang 0 February 23rd 07 07:45 PM
CEL codes [email protected] Audi 2 November 10th 06 03:09 AM
how do you extract original stereo system to allow new radio to be fitted? Scott Honda 3 August 26th 05 01:31 PM