Almost related: a portable radio

Old March 21st 11, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

Default Almost related: a portable radio

This is the way hobbies get out of hand:

I was delighted to find a gray Blaupunkt Lido (made in 62/63) for the grey
bus as it has radio cover plate recycled for windshield washer button and I
didn't want to change that. So a portable radio and this one fits to style
perfectly.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/wiima/IMG_0404.jpg

Unfortunately it uses 9V and that's not easy to get in a car which has 6V
systems. On the other hand it works for a long time with one 9V big battery.

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2
Old March 21st 11, 11:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Is it running in a 12 volt car?. If so you could make up a regulator for a
few dollars. Not just a simple resistor, the voltage drop depends on the
current drawn. Being that old it would use germanium transistors that dont
have great voltage ratings. Probably blow the ouput pair. Being an old
analogue electronics eng I could knock up a circuit in a few minutes if
needed.
I,ve got an old one used in Australia, 15 ohm speaker delivering about
1 watt!!!.Dont know why they bothered, the Engine must be putting out 50
watts.
Cheers
John

Old March 21st 11, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

Hello!

On 21/03/11 12:21, John wrote:
> Is it running in a 12 volt car?. If so you could make up a regulator >for a
> few dollars.

Yes, I know.

> I,ve got an old one used in Australia, 15 ohm speaker delivering about
> 1 watt!!!.Dont know why they bothered, the Engine must be putting out 50
> watts.

A 7809 would do the job in a car which has 12V electrics, no problem. But
raising the voltage from 6-7 to 9 isn't so easy to do.

I tried this radio with 6V and you can hear something but distortion gets
out of hand and very quiet, too.

Blaupunkt claims that this little radio outputs a whole watt (amplifier &
speaker element). That's a lot.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/blaupun...e_t_22503.html

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2
Old March 21st 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Tuomas wrote:
> Hello!
>
>> > wrote in message
>>> This is the way hobbies get out of hand:
>>>
>>> I was delighted to find a gray Blaupunkt Lido (made in 62/63) for the
>>> grey
>>> bus as it has radio cover plate recycled for windshield washer button
>>> and
>>> I didn't want to change that. So a portable radio and this one fits to
>>> style perfectly.
>>>
>>> http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/wiima/IMG_0404.jpg
>>>
>>> Unfortunately it uses 9V and that's not easy to get in a car which
>>> has 6V
>>> systems. On the other hand it works for a long time with one 9V big
>>> battery.

> On 21/03/11 12:21, John wrote:
> > Is it running in a 12 volt car?. If so you could make up a

> regulator >for a
> > few dollars.

> Yes, I know.
>
> > I,ve got an old one used in Australia, 15 ohm speaker delivering

> about
> > 1 watt!!!.Dont know why they bothered, the Engine must be putting out 50
> > watts.

> A 7809 would do the job in a car which has 12V electrics, no problem.
> But raising the voltage from 6-7 to 9 isn't so easy to do.
>
> I tried this radio with 6V and you can hear something but distortion
> gets out of hand and very quiet, too.
>
> Blaupunkt claims that this little radio outputs a whole watt (amplifier
> & speaker element). That's a lot.
>
> http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/blaupun...e_t_22503.html

How about a 6V - 12V inverter, and then drop the 12V down to 9V
Old March 22nd 11, 08:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

On 21/03/11 17:41, Jan Andersson wrote:
> Tuomas wrote:
>> Hello!

>> On 21/03/11 12:21, John wrote:
>> > Is it running in a 12 volt car?. If so you could make up a regulator >for a
>> > few dollars.

>> Yes, I know.
>>
>> > I,ve got an old one used in Australia, 15 ohm speaker delivering about
>> > 1 watt!!!.Dont know why they bothered, the Engine must be putting out 50
>> > watts.

>> A 7809 would do the job in a car which has 12V electrics, no problem. But
>> raising the voltage from 6-7 to 9 isn't so easy to do.
>>

> How about a 6V - 12V inverter, and then drop the 12V down to 9V

A friend of mine has almost similar radio and it's running its third summer
now on a single battery. Occasional use of course but probably more I'll
use, so I don't think that the battery consumption will be a problem.

We'll see.

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2