Changing Generator brushes in the car.

Old February 5th 11, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Lamumba

Default Changing Generator brushes in the car.

yep, they got too short. In my infinite wisdom , I thought oh, I'll just
move the spring to the side and sprong! off it went. Twas a sunny day.
la dee dah.
what is the best way to change brushes with the engine in the car?
TIA
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old February 6th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Connolly

Use a length of thread to "hook" the spring and hold it out of the way
while you R&R the brushes.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Old February 8th 11, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

On 06/02/11 22:35, John Connolly wrote:
> Use a length of thread to "hook" the spring and hold it out of the way
> while you R&R the brushes.

Also use a piece of thin wire or thread to secure the spring to something
solid so it won't get lost while working on it.

New springs are not easy to find so you can't afford to lose them.

I've lost two as I didn't learn from the first time.

*SPRoinnnnnggg* says the spring and then it's somewhere, usually not to be
seen ever again.

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2
Old February 14th 11, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Lamumba

In article >, Tuomas >
wrote:

> On 06/02/11 22:35, John Connolly wrote:
> > Use a length of thread to "hook" the spring and hold it out of the way
> > while you R&R the brushes.
> >

> Also use a piece of thin wire or thread to secure the spring to something
> solid so it won't get lost while working on it.
>
> New springs are not easy to find so you can't afford to lose them.
>
> I've lost two as I didn't learn from the first time.
>
> *SPRoinnnnnggg* says the spring and then it's somewhere, usually not to be
> seen ever again.

well, I did manage to sprong the spring off it's "tab" but I happened to
have a little magnet to retrieve it. getting it back on was the trick.
I guess in hindsight I should have moved the spring off to the side the
other way. to avoid it coming off the fixed point. No?
--
Karma, What a concept!