carb swap/upgrade '75 cj5

Old March 3rd 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Its Me! Its ME!

Default carb swap/upgrade '75 cj5

Hey there folks,
I have a quick question...I am looking to swap out my stock YF for another,
or possibly upgrade. I am currently having problems with the current carb
and don't feel it is giving my enough on my 258. Not a huge engine, but the
YF came off of my 232 when I swapped the engines.

Question is, can y'all make recomendations for an engine appropriate, $$
conscious, mildly upgraded CJ (trail rig, but not extreme).
Currently running 31's but looking to grow in the not too distant future.
Also the diff's got 3.73 in it. Not sure what to look at for the fuel
delivery. Like I said, just feels like its falling short.

Brandon

Old March 3rd 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

Its Me! Its ME! wrote:
> Hey there folks,
> I have a quick question...I am looking to swap out my stock YF for
> another, or possibly upgrade. I am currently having problems with the
> current carb and don't feel it is giving my enough on my 258. Not a
> huge engine, but the YF came off of my 232 when I swapped the engines.
>
> Question is, can y'all make recomendations for an engine appropriate, $$
> conscious, mildly upgraded CJ (trail rig, but not extreme).
> Currently running 31's but looking to grow in the not too distant
> future. Also the diff's got 3.73 in it. Not sure what to look at for
> the fuel delivery. Like I said, just feels like its falling short.
>
> Brandon

I think the later 2BBL Carter BBD carb that AMC used on the 258 is the
best one going. A rebuild kit for them only runs about $25.00 and is
easy to put in.

You can get the intake manifold and carb off any later Jeep up to 91 or
even AMC car. EBay also sells them for a decent price already rebuilt.
The ones after 82 were feedback carbs, but they still can be manually
tuned to just purr so even a YJ setup would bolt right on. I have helped
tune lots of the feedback carbs to pass emissions and get the stock 21
mpg that the Jeeps got new.

Lots of folks go for junkyard MC2100 carbs because they are easy to
find, but it does overcarburate the engine so gas mileage isn't great,
same for most of the Weber carbs, too big. Yes they work, but I 'like'
getting 21 mpg highway... Whatever you do stay far far away from those
clone weber carbs they call 'the 34'. It is almost untunable and needs
major tweaking and playing with jet sizes to work on a 258.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
Old March 4th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
csdude

On Mar 3, 12:29*am, "Its Me! Its ME!" >
wrote:
> Hey there folks,
> I have a quick question...I am looking to swap out my stock YF for another,
> or possibly upgrade. *I am currently having problems with the current carb
> and don't feel it is giving my enough on my 258. *Not a huge engine, but the
> YF came off of my 232 when I swapped the engines.
>
> Question is, can y'all make recomendations for an engine appropriate, $$
> conscious, mildly upgraded CJ (trail rig, but not extreme).
> Currently running 31's but looking to grow in the not too distant future.
> Also the diff's got 3.73 in it. *Not sure what to look at for the fuel
> delivery. *Like I said, just feels like its falling short.
>
> Brandon

I used to run a Weber carb on my 258, that worked really well for me.

upgrade RS[_1_] BMW 3 October 12th 07 11:11 PM
PDC upgrade adry1976 BMW 0 February 20th 06 02:56 PM
single carb + manifold into dual carb bus? [email protected] VW air cooled 1 October 7th 05 04:15 AM
E36 OBC Upgrade slayer via CarKB.com BMW 1 April 10th 05 01:12 PM
Carb found, what is this carb for? Jan VW air cooled 2 November 24th 04 05:40 PM