Tuneup a Lumina

Old June 6th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Tuneup a Lumina

Hi Everyone,

I'm would like some information on changing the spark plugs
on my 1992 Chevy Lumina. It has the kind of 6-cylinder engine where
three cylinders are in the back next to the firewall and 3 are up
front. The book says I have to disconnect and unplug everything, take
out the window washer reservoir and take out the mounting bolts from
the front of the engine and rock the engine forward. I would like some
feedback and hints about doing this. Do they do that at the shop?
sounds like alot of work. Thanks for all the help and
suggestions.

Roscoe

Old June 6th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Roscoe" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm would like some information on changing the spark plugs
> on my 1992 Chevy Lumina. It has the kind of 6-cylinder engine where
> three cylinders are in the back next to the firewall and 3 are up
> front. The book says I have to disconnect and unplug everything, take
> out the window washer reservoir and take out the mounting bolts from
> the front of the engine and rock the engine forward. I would like some
> feedback and hints about doing this. Do they do that at the shop?
> sounds like alot of work. Thanks for all the help and
> suggestions.
>
> Roscoe

It is not as intimidating as it seems.
The front three are pretty easy.

Be sure you know where the ignition cable go as you take them off. You
may well damage them anyway. Sometimes they are stuck on so tight that
it is hard not to destroy them..

Those engines have an upper engine restraint system that is normally easy to
get to.

When you remove one of the bolts, the entire engine can rock forward to give
you access to the rear plugs. The restraints I remember often have a second
hole where you can install the bolt to hold the engine in the forward
position,
but dont know if all of them do.

You want to be careful with things like windshield washer reservoir, and the
vacuum cannister, which could be damaged if you lose grip, slip up, etc.
(I once broke the plastic hose nose off the vacuum cannister and ended up
taking it out, drilling, and fitting a metal one.).

The back plugs are still sometimes a little hard to see and get onto, but if
you
have a decent set of wrenches and are patient, you can do it. Be careful
you
don't cross thread them when you go back in. Since you may not be able
to see or feel them out easily, go easy until you are sure you are right.

This is from memory, as I haven't done it in a while, but I think that if
you
work carefully and thoughtfully, you will find it pretty easy.

Old June 6th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for the help. I would like to disconnect as little as I have to
and I may just take it to the shop anyway it only costs me about 75$
don't know how they do all that work for such little money.

I do want to rock the engine though, just so I get the feel about how
it goes. But its my work car and if I mess it up over the weekend I'm
walking to work. I'll let you know how things go and look forward to
discussing this more and again thanks for the help.

Roscoe

Old June 6th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Roscoe" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the help. I would like to disconnect as little as I have to
> and I may just take it to the shop anyway it only costs me about 75$
> don't know how they do all that work for such little money.
>
> I do want to rock the engine though, just so I get the feel about how
> it goes. But its my work car and if I mess it up over the weekend I'm
> walking to work. I'll let you know how things go and look forward to
> discussing this more and again thanks for the help.
>
> Roscoe

The spark plugs will cost you a few bucks each, so less than $20 I would
guess.

So they can make over $50 bucks in short order. If you know what you're
doing,
it doesn't take long.

If the plug wires go bad, I am sure they would have to charge you extra.

It would probably be interesting for you to look around the engine
compartment
and see how everything sits.

90k tuneup KLS Audi 2 June 28th 05 05:46 PM
Adjusting Valves - 427 Sideoiler - Tuneup Too - Questions - Please Help! Willis Technology 4 May 11th 05 05:12 PM
Lumina 3.1 emissions (NO) Spud Demon Technology 3 February 20th 05 05:05 AM
Lumina runs hotter than I think it should... RobGute Technology 2 January 22nd 05 08:06 AM
HELP - KIA or Chevy Lumina J.M. General 1 January 29th 04 03:54 PM