transmission fluid change

Old June 8th 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default transmission fluid change

I need to change the fluid and filter in my 1976 corvette.

I called the local stealership and by the time they are done with
materials, fluid,
labour, and taxes, it is around $350. They wanted over $80 for a
filter and gasket!
Corvette Central - $12.95 or so...

I did some research on the web, and it is pretty straightforward from
what I see, aside
from the torque converter. Drilling a hole in the torque converter is
not advised. The best way (aside from using a special flushing
machine) appears to be:

1- remove tranny cover and replace gasket and filter, clean it all up
and replace
2- top up fluid
3- remove one end of tranny coolant hose and put it into a bucket
4- start car, run thru gears on tranny, and drain out approx 1 quart
5- shut off car, refill transmission

repeat steps 4- 5 until the fluid coming out is the same colour as
what you are pouring
in.

In terms of the fluid, mine takes Dextron III. Apparently higher
numbers are all
compatible with the lower ones. ie I could use Dextron V. Best not to
mix though. You
get added benefits with the improvements in the newer mixtures if you
upgrade. And
more by going to a synthetic.

Now - before I proceed, I got this off the web and I am no expert. So
does anyone have
anything to add to this? Things I should not do? Errors or mis-
understandings I may
have in this?

TIA.
Old June 8th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Jun 8, 1:25*pm, " > wrote:
> I need to change the fluid and filter in my 1976 corvette.
>
> I called the local stealership and by the time they are done with
> materials, fluid,
> labour, and taxes, it is around $350. They wanted over $80 for a
> filter and gasket!
> Corvette Central - $12.95 or so...
>
> I did some research on the web, and it is pretty straightforward from
> what I see, aside
> from the torque converter. Drilling a hole in the torque converter is
> not advised. The best way (aside from using *a special flushing
> machine) appears to be:
>
> 1- remove tranny cover and replace gasket and filter, clean it all up
> and replace
> 2- top up fluid
> 3- remove one end of tranny coolant hose and put it into a bucket
> 4- start car, run thru gears on tranny, and drain out approx 1 quart
> 5- shut off car, refill transmission
>
> repeat steps 4- 5 until the fluid coming out is the same colour as
> what you are pouring
> in.
>
> In terms of the fluid, mine takes Dextron III. Apparently higher
> numbers are all
> compatible with the lower ones. ie I could use Dextron V. Best not to
> mix though. You
> get added benefits with the improvements in the newer mixtures if you
> upgrade. And
> more by going to a synthetic.
>
> Now - before I proceed, I got this off the web and I am no expert. So
> does anyone have
> anything to add to this? Things I should not do? Errors or mis-
> understandings I may
> have in this?
>
> TIA.

I always thought just dropping the fluid out of the pan was good
enough. Is the fluid burnt? I'd be a bit worried running the tranny
when it's that low on fluid even for a few seconds. I'd spend the
$80-100 to get the whole system flushed if it's burnt otherwise I'd
just drop whats in the pan and refill with the new gasket & filter.
Old June 8th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bowser

On Jun 8, 2:44*pm, m6onz5a > wrote:
> On Jun 8, 1:25*pm, " > wrote:
>

> > I need to change the fluid and filter in my 1976 corvette.

> > I called the local stealership and by the time they are done with
> > materials, fluid,
> > labour, and taxes, it is around $350. They wanted over $80 for a
> > filter and gasket!
> > Corvette Central - $12.95 or so...

> > I did some research on the web, and it is pretty straightforward from
> > what I see, aside
> > from the torque converter. Drilling a hole in the torque converter is
> > not advised. The best way (aside from using *a special flushing
> > machine) appears to be:

> > 1- remove tranny cover and replace gasket and filter, clean it all up
> > and replace
> > 2- top up fluid
> > 3- remove one end of tranny coolant hose and put it into a bucket
> > 4- start car, run thru gears on tranny, and drain out approx 1 quart
> > 5- shut off car, refill transmission

> > repeat steps 4- 5 until the fluid coming out is the same colour as
> > what you are pouring
> > in.

> > In terms of the fluid, mine takes Dextron III. Apparently higher
> > numbers are all
> > compatible with the lower ones. ie I could use Dextron V. Best not to
> > mix though. You
> > get added benefits with the improvements in the newer mixtures if you
> > upgrade. And
> > more by going to a synthetic.

> > Now - before I proceed, I got this off the web and I am no expert. So
> > does anyone have
> > anything to add to this? Things I should not do? Errors or mis-
> > understandings I may
> > have in this?

> > TIA.

> I always thought just dropping the fluid out of the pan was good
> enough. Is the fluid burnt? *I'd be a bit worried running the tranny
> when it's that low on fluid even for a few seconds. I'd spend the
> $80-100 to get the whole system flushed if it's *burnt otherwise I'd
> just drop whats in the pan and refill with the new gasket & filter.

Fluid is not burned, but old. More like 200+ extra to get it done....
If it were 80-100 to get it done I'd go for it, but they get too
greedy and try to gouge too much so they lose my business.
I just swapped out shocks, rear spring, new rad support, and rad
myself for the same reason. I'd also pressure wash the pan and paint
it etc, while I was doing it as well.
Old June 8th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

> wrote in message
>I need to change the fluid and filter in my 1976 corvette.
>
> I called the local stealership and by the time they are done with
> materials, fluid,
> labour, and taxes, it is around $350. They wanted over $80 for a
> filter and gasket!
> Corvette Central - $12.95 or so...
>
> I did some research on the web, and it is pretty straightforward from
> what I see, aside
> from the torque converter. Drilling a hole in the torque converter is
> not advised. The best way (aside from using a special flushing
> machine) appears to be:
>
> 1- remove tranny cover and replace gasket and filter, clean it all up
> and replace
> 2- top up fluid
> 3- remove one end of tranny coolant hose and put it into a bucket
> 4- start car, run thru gears on tranny, and drain out approx 1 quart
> 5- shut off car, refill transmission
>
> repeat steps 4- 5 until the fluid coming out is the same colour as
> what you are pouring
> in.
>
> In terms of the fluid, mine takes Dextron III. Apparently higher
> numbers are all
> compatible with the lower ones. ie I could use Dextron V. Best not to
> mix though. You
> get added benefits with the improvements in the newer mixtures if you
> upgrade. And
> more by going to a synthetic.
>
> Now - before I proceed, I got this off the web and I am no expert. So
> does anyone have
> anything to add to this? Things I should not do? Errors or mis-
> understandings I may
> have in this?
>
> TIA.

A local independent will do the work, flush the tranny and system with
his state of the art equipment, for less than $150.

Is the flush necessary ---in most cases no, but if properly done it
normally doesnt hurt anything and in some cases of problems it can
work wonders.

You can change the fluid and filters yourself for a fraction of the above.

Do you have tranny problems, or just want to service the tranny?

Old June 8th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Bowser" > wrote in message

Fluid is not burned, but old. More like 200+ extra to get it done....
If it were 80-100 to get it done I'd go for it, but they get too
greedy and try to gouge too much so they lose my business.
I just swapped out shocks, rear spring, new rad support, and rad
myself for the same reason. I'd also pressure wash the pan and paint
it etc, while I was doing it as well.
*******
Find a GOOD local independent and get a quote. Dealerships can
be very expensive and sometimes not very good

Old June 8th 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

HLS wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> I need to change the fluid and filter in my 1976 corvette.
>>
>> I called the local stealership and by the time they are done with
>> materials, fluid,
>> labour, and taxes, it is around $350. They wanted over $80 for a
>> filter and gasket!
>> Corvette Central - $12.95 or so...
>>
>> I did some research on the web, and it is pretty straightforward from
>> what I see, aside
>> from the torque converter. Drilling a hole in the torque converter is
>> not advised. The best way (aside from using a special flushing
>> machine) appears to be:
>>
>> 1- remove tranny cover and replace gasket and filter, clean it all up
>> and replace
>> 2- top up fluid
>> 3- remove one end of tranny coolant hose and put it into a bucket
>> 4- start car, run thru gears on tranny, and drain out approx 1 quart
>> 5- shut off car, refill transmission
>>
>> repeat steps 4- 5 until the fluid coming out is the same colour as
>> what you are pouring
>> in.
>>
>> In terms of the fluid, mine takes Dextron III. Apparently higher
>> numbers are all
>> compatible with the lower ones. ie I could use Dextron V. Best not to
>> mix though. You
>> get added benefits with the improvements in the newer mixtures if you
>> upgrade. And
>> more by going to a synthetic.
>>
>> Now - before I proceed, I got this off the web and I am no expert. So
>> does anyone have
>> anything to add to this? Things I should not do? Errors or mis-
>> understandings I may
>> have in this?
>>
>> TIA.

> A local independent will do the work, flush the tranny and system with
> his state of the art equipment, for less than $150.
>
> Is the flush necessary ---in most cases no, but if properly done it
> normally doesnt hurt anything and in some cases of problems it can
> work wonders.
>
> You can change the fluid and filters yourself for a fraction of the above.
>
> Do you have tranny problems, or just want to service the tranny?

if you're going to try a DIY flush I would actually clean the pan first,
reinstall with the OLD filter and gasket, flush, then put the new filter
and gasket on. Flushing might put more gunk in the filter, why not get
it squeaky clean. you will lose a little more fluid that way tho

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 8th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> HLS wrote:

> if you're going to try a DIY flush I would actually clean the pan first,
> reinstall with the OLD filter and gasket, flush, then put the new filter
> and gasket on. Flushing might put more gunk in the filter, why not get it
> squeaky clean. you will lose a little more fluid that way tho
>
> nate

I agree, Nate, but if you are capable of dropping the pan and changing the
fluid and filter, do you really need a flush (normally)?

IMO, flushes are not normally needed, but SOMETIMES they are.

Old June 8th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bowser

On Jun 8, 4:54*pm, "HLS" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >I need to change the fluid and filter in my 1976 corvette.

> > I called the local stealership and by the time they are done with
> > materials, fluid,
> > labour, and taxes, it is around $350. They wanted over $80 for a
> > filter and gasket!
> > Corvette Central - $12.95 or so...

> > I did some research on the web, and it is pretty straightforward from
> > what I see, aside
> > from the torque converter. Drilling a hole in the torque converter is
> > not advised. The best way (aside from using *a special flushing
> > machine) appears to be:

> > 1- remove tranny cover and replace gasket and filter, clean it all up
> > and replace
> > 2- top up fluid
> > 3- remove one end of tranny coolant hose and put it into a bucket
> > 4- start car, run thru gears on tranny, and drain out approx 1 quart
> > 5- shut off car, refill transmission

> > repeat steps 4- 5 until the fluid coming out is the same colour as
> > what you are pouring
> > in.

> > In terms of the fluid, mine takes Dextron III. Apparently higher
> > numbers are all
> > compatible with the lower ones. ie I could use Dextron V. Best not to
> > mix though. You
> > get added benefits with the improvements in the newer mixtures if you
> > upgrade. And
> > more by going to a synthetic.

> > Now - before I proceed, I got this off the web and I am no expert. So
> > does anyone have
> > anything to add to this? Things I should not do? Errors or mis-
> > understandings I may
> > have in this?

> > TIA.

> A local independent will do the work, flush the tranny and system with
> his state of the art equipment, for less than $150.
>
> Is the flush necessary ---in most cases no, but if properly done it
> normally doesnt hurt anything and in some cases of problems it can
> work wonders.
>
> You can change the fluid and filters yourself for a fraction of the above..
>
> Do you have tranny problems, or just want to service the tranny?

The only tranny problem I have is that when the weather is quite cold,
it will hesitate a bit before it actually takes off. Once going or
once warm it is fine. The fluid has not been changed in a long while
so I am catching up on some long overdue maintenance. I suspect a good
cleaning, new filter and some good fluid will make it as good as
gold.
Old June 8th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bowser

On Jun 8, 6:35*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> HLS wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
> >> I need to change the fluid and filter in my 1976 corvette.

> >> I called the local stealership and by the time they are done with
> >> materials, fluid,
> >> labour, and taxes, it is around $350. They wanted over $80 for a
> >> filter and gasket!
> >> Corvette Central - $12.95 or so...

> >> I did some research on the web, and it is pretty straightforward from
> >> what I see, aside
> >> from the torque converter. Drilling a hole in the torque converter is
> >> not advised. The best way (aside from using *a special flushing
> >> machine) appears to be:

> >> 1- remove tranny cover and replace gasket and filter, clean it all up
> >> and replace
> >> 2- top up fluid
> >> 3- remove one end of tranny coolant hose and put it into a bucket
> >> 4- start car, run thru gears on tranny, and drain out approx 1 quart
> >> 5- shut off car, refill transmission

> >> repeat steps 4- 5 until the fluid coming out is the same colour as
> >> what you are pouring
> >> in.

> >> In terms of the fluid, mine takes Dextron III. Apparently higher
> >> numbers are all
> >> compatible with the lower ones. ie I could use Dextron V. Best not to
> >> mix though. You
> >> get added benefits with the improvements in the newer mixtures if you
> >> upgrade. And
> >> more by going to a synthetic.

> >> Now - before I proceed, I got this off the web and I am no expert. So
> >> does anyone have
> >> anything to add to this? Things I should not do? Errors or mis-
> >> understandings I may
> >> have in this?

> >> TIA.

> > A local independent will do the work, flush the tranny and system with
> > his state of the art equipment, for less than $150.

> > Is the flush necessary ---in most cases no, but if properly done it
> > normally doesnt hurt anything and in some cases of problems it can
> > work wonders.

> > You can change the fluid and filters yourself for a fraction of the above.

> > Do you have tranny problems, or just want to service the tranny?

> if you're going to try a DIY flush I would actually clean the pan first,
> reinstall with the OLD filter and gasket, flush, then put the new filter
> and gasket on. *Flushing might put more gunk in the filter, why not get
> it squeaky clean. *you will lose a little more fluid that way tho
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

That sounds like an option. I do not have to have it perfectly leak
free just to circulate the fluid from the converter.....
Old June 9th 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

HLS wrote:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>> HLS wrote:

>> if you're going to try a DIY flush I would actually clean the pan
>> first, reinstall with the OLD filter and gasket, flush, then put the
>> new filter and gasket on. Flushing might put more gunk in the filter,
>> why not get it squeaky clean. you will lose a little more fluid that
>> way tho
>>
>> nate

> I agree, Nate, but if you are capable of dropping the pan and changing the
> fluid and filter, do you really need a flush (normally)?
>
> IMO, flushes are not normally needed, but SOMETIMES they are.

Well, seeing as most people don't bother to change it every 50K like
you're supposed to, I'm just ASSuming he needs a flush.

nate