Stripping a parts car

Old January 4th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

Default Stripping a parts car

On Jan 3, 10:54*am, disston > wrote:
> Leave the car at your old address and forget it. You will thank me
> years from now because you won't still be lugging around parts from
> this car that never seem to be what you need. I still have stuff from
> my 1954 Ford and a 1953 Plymouth, but not much and in those days a lot
> of parts were swapable.

Anybody need parts for a 1982 Plymouth Sapporo?
Old January 4th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

On Jan 3, 11:01*pm, wrote:
> Hi - Thanks for the advice so far.
> I'd be stripping the parts to have around for my 87 Taurus. *The
> transmission came to mind first, since the one on my 87 doesn't sound
> that great and the 93 has one that was remanufactured by ford and
> sounds really fine when shifting. *But as someone mentioned it's a
> different type.
> Even so it's not a huge deal as the 93 cost me about $125, though I'd
> like to salvage anything worthwhile.

Another tactic would be to find somebody who will pay a decent amount
for the 93 for a parts car for his 93, then you use the money to buy
parts when you need them. Craigslist or something.
Old January 13th 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
mark

M.M. wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious about the sanity of someone who buys a Taurus to work on
>> "for fun."
>>
>> Sorry, I can't say what usually fails on a Taurus save for the
>> transmixer. That seems to be the common one.
>>

> Depends on the year & model. They had a lot of trans problems up until
> about 2000, IIRC. There were some issues with the OHC 3.0L engine but
> the old pushrod version is pretty reliable. The last 4 or 5 years
> they're decent, if uninspiring, transportation. Since they don't hold
> their value very well you can get a decent one for cheap. If you just
> want something to get to work & back, they're not bad...definitely
> not a 944 but they do the job.
>
> I wouldn't say they're particularly fun to work on, tho, but I guess
> it's all relative. And I don't know how many parts the OP can use on
> his 87 from the 93...

headlights and tail lights were changed in 1992.

so, those will not work on the 1987.

I had a 1991, bought it for $900, had a receipt that transmission was
replaced. drove it 8 months, with no problems

sold it a year ago for 1200............ its now getting thrashed as a pizza
delivery car.