electrical issue?

Old February 18th 07, 07:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
John & Ninetta

Default electrical issue?

Greetings all,

Been having a recent problem with my 2004 Allroad. When the car is off and
out in the cold (-15 to -20C) for a few hours), when I turn on the radio, I
can see it comes on, but no sound from speakers. Once its back into my
garage (where the temperature is about 2C-7C) overnight, the radio and
speakers are back to normal the next day. Any thoughts on what could be
wrong?

John

Old February 20th 07, 06:47 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lez Pawl

"John & Ninetta" > wrote in message
> Greetings all,
>
> Been having a recent problem with my 2004 Allroad. When the car is off
> and out in the cold (-15 to -20C) for a few hours), when I turn on the
> radio, I can see it comes on, but no sound from speakers. Once its back
> into my garage (where the temperature is about 2C-7C) overnight, the radio
> and speakers are back to normal the next day. Any thoughts on what could
> be wrong?
>
> John

crack in a circuit board track.....when it contracts the track parts.

Old February 21st 07, 04:13 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
John & Ninetta

> crack in a circuit board track.....when it contracts the track parts.

Would this circuit board track be in the radio itself, or elsewhere?

Old February 21st 07, 05:53 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lez Pawl

"John & Ninetta" > wrote in message
.. .

>> crack in a circuit board track.....when it contracts the track parts.
>>

> Would this circuit board track be in the radio itself, or elsewhere?

most probably in the radio...........may also be a soldered (dry) joint
somewhere in radio.

I believe some manufacturers are using 'green solder' ie lead free and this
could be the problem.

It is rather odd that when delving deep into electronics goods
specifications many actually state, only operate at 0-30C.................

Old February 21st 07, 09:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
John & Ninetta

Thank-you for your advice. Am taking it to my dealership next week (as the
vehicle is under waranty still). Problem is....I was told that the tech
needs to witness the problem. I'm leaving it overnight at the dealer's in
hopes that it will be demonstrated in the morning. I hope its really
cold........

John

Old February 22nd 07, 06:27 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
"Lez Pawl" > wrote:

> "John & Ninetta" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > >
> >> crack in a circuit board track.....when it contracts the track parts.
> >>

> > Would this circuit board track be in the radio itself, or elsewhere?
> >

> most probably in the radio...........may also be a soldered (dry) joint
> somewhere in radio.
>
> I believe some manufacturers are using 'green solder' ie lead free and this
> could be the problem.
>
> It is rather odd that when delving deep into electronics goods
> specifications many actually state, only operate at 0-30C.................

Often it's caused by bolting power semiconductors to heat sink fins on
the chassis. Vibration and thermal stress eventually cracks the solder
or even the circuit board. Better designs use a spring clip so that the
component can slide under high stress.