1990 audi V8 Quattro problem

Old January 17th 07, 07:16 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

Default 1990 audi V8 Quattro problem

On 17 Jan 2007 07:45:39 -0800, "Wild Bill" >
wrote:

>can u pull the distributor caps off and check to see if they are
>turning would that tell u if the timing belt broke or not?

I guess. But believe me, a car's engine does not just suddenly stop
like you describe unless it is a timing belt. If you try to start it
and the starter is turning without resistance, it is a timing belt.

Old January 17th 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Wild Bill

welll pulled the distributor cap when i got home from school today the
rotor isnt turning. So im pretty sure its just like everyone says its
the timing belt. they want 3000 to put one in it at an audi shop.

Old January 17th 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On 17 Jan 2007 13:42:03 -0800, "Wild Bill" >
wrote:

>welll pulled the distributor cap when i got home from school today the
>rotor isnt turning. So im pretty sure its just like everyone says its
>the timing belt. they want 3000 to put one in it at an audi shop.

That sounds a bit too much. You will priobably find bent valves which
would require replacement. If you have it done (I wouldn't) replace
the water pump and thermostat. I'm wondering how much you paid for
this car and if it is worth this costly repair. It sounds like you
were the victim of some smooth talking dude who would say anything to
get rid of the car. I'd go back to him and ask when and by whom was
the belt changed. You may have a case against him.\

Good luck.

Old January 18th 07, 12:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Wild Bill

i bought the car on a auction and it had a bunch of reciepts from the
stuff this guy had done to it. he didnt have the timing belt replaced i
looked over the receipt and called the dealer that did the work and it
was a serpentine belt so it hadnt been changed in the past.

I payed 225 dollars for the car on the auction cause the day it sold it
was snowin and cold and no one showed up and there was no reserves.

What would be a average it should cost to have a new one put in it. i
am not sure if i will get it fixed yet or not i might even have my dad
try to help me do it myself instead of a shop. its really a nice car
and ran awsome before this happened and the leather interior is like
new so i hate to junk it but it might still not be worth a fortune to
fix.

Old January 18th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ

Wild Bill wrote:

> i bought the car on a auction and it had a bunch of reciepts from the
> stuff this guy had done to it. he didnt have the timing belt replaced i
> looked over the receipt and called the dealer that did the work and it
> was a serpentine belt so it hadnt been changed in the past.
>
> I payed 225 dollars for the car on the auction cause the day it sold it
> was snowin and cold and no one showed up and there was no reserves.
>
> What would be a average it should cost to have a new one put in it. i
> am not sure if i will get it fixed yet or not i might even have my dad
> try to help me do it myself instead of a shop. its really a nice car
> and ran awsome before this happened and the leather interior is like
> new so i hate to junk it but it might still not be worth a fortune to
> fix.

Other than your current problem, you got a good deal on it. A V8 Quattro in good
shape often will sell for $1,500 to $3,000. You need to be sure about the T belt
in the V8 because when it fails it is usually considered more expensive to fix
than the car is worth.

Replacing the T belt when it hasn't previously failed should cost $1,200 to
$1,800. When it has failed it almost surely has broken valves and trashed
pistons. The only fix to consider is to replace the engine and that will
probably run $4,000. Fixing the engine would run more than that.

Audis are very nice cars but they are merciless on you when you don't keep up on
scheduled maintenance.

TonyJ
formerly four T44s 2:'84s, '87 and '91
formerly 98.5 A4 TQM APR - RIP
current '04 A4 TQM 6speed APR stage 1

Audi allroad quattro miller_m Audi 1 July 18th 08 04:49 AM
Audi 100 2.0E Surging Problem [email protected] Audi 1 June 23rd 06 07:53 AM
OEM Audi parts catalogs for sale Joe Audi 5 February 4th 06 01:34 AM
Oil change on 1996 Audi A6 - V6 2.6 litre engine (UK) Mark Audi 20 December 18th 05 02:28 PM
1990 Audi V8 Quattro help John Audi 1 May 29th 05 01:59 AM