Oil Independence Day 2006

Old June 27th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default VUE Green Line

"SnoMan" > wrote in message
> On 27 Jun 2006 01:38:49 -0700, "Thomas Armagost" >
> wrote:
>
>>It's impossible to know how high the price of gasoline at the pump
>>will be in the years ahead.

> Maybe not exactally but you can forecast a trend. I predict some
> $4/gallon fuel before end of 2007 and deisel fuel could hit that this
> winter if it is a cold winter. It would have last winter if it had
> been a cold winter. If you do not plan on high fuel prices in coming
> years you will pay the price because like it or not it is coming.
> -----------------
> The SnoMan
> www.thesnoman.com

The big cost questions that nobody is asking about hybrids are,
How long will the batteries last?
What is the battery replacement cost?
including disposal of the old batteries which will probably be considered
hazardous waste?

Old June 27th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:33:39 GMT, "Private" >
wrote:

>The big cost questions that nobody is asking about hybrids are,
>How long will the batteries last?
>What is the battery replacement cost?
>including disposal of the old batteries which will probably be considered
>hazardous waste?

Good question, Toyota warrants their batteries for a long period of
time and they recycle the batteries in them and do not just through
them in the trash. Most are going to lithium batteries which can have
a long service life and a much higher enery density per pound than is
even remotely possible with lead acid.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old June 28th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In message >,
SnoMan > wrote:

> "Thomas Armagost" > wrote:
>
>> It's impossible to know how high the price of gasoline at the
>> pump will be in the years ahead.

> Maybe not exactally but you can forecast a trend. I predict some
> $4/gallon fuel before end of 2007

Gasoline has been heavily taxed in some parts of the world for decades.

BTW, check out these pictures of the Saturn PreView concept car, which
was on display at the New York Auto Show in April.

<http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/10887/saturn-prevue-concept.html>

It doesn't seem to have much rear or side visibility. It looks as if
the front end of an Acura sedan has been welded onto the bumper of a
VUE. The rest of it sort of resembles a Nissan Murano--and sort of
resembles an Infiniti FX35 or FX45.

Will the "twin-turbo diesel engine" burn biodiesel fuel?

Saturn will replace the Ion with the Opel Astra hatchback in late
2007. So says Edmunds.com.

<http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Preview/styleId=100728677>

The idea is to "push up its base price and reduce overall sales
numbers." Yes, we wouldn't want to build too many compact economy
cars. ;-)

GM doesn't want to spend "money to develop an all-new vehicle
specifically for the U.S. market." Why was the SL/Ion sold in the
U.S. market only? The wildly popular Ford Focus proved that the
SL/Ion could have sold nicely all over the world.

I think that the present management at GM hasn't got the slightest
clue why Saturn came into existence.

Cancel my pilgrimage to Spring Hill, Tennessee.

<http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/12/01/business/saturn.php>

It's just another brand of car.

--
<http://www.well.com/user/silly/>
"Don't forget to register to vote" - Frank Zappa

Old June 28th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On 28 Jun 2006 01:53:38 -0700, "Thomas Armagost" >
wrote:

>Gasoline has been heavily taxed in some parts of the world for decades.

As far as I am concerned they do not tax it enough because if they had
more years ago we would not be in the bind we are in now and people
would have used it a bit wiser and everone one pays a fuel tax unlike
income taxes that have large loopholes for the wealthy. The rate of
fuel tax is constant (it does not change with price of fuel) so the
amount that goes to tax on each gallon does not change whether gas is
$2 or $4 a gallon That money is going to producers, marketers and
future traders. If you want to pick on someone pick on Reagan that
opened up oil to futures trading in 80's and this profit taking easily
adds 10 to 15% to price of fuel and adds to its price instabilty
greatly as they try to drive prices up from time to time for profit.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old June 29th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> Saturn will replace the Ion with the Opel Astra hatchback in late
> 2007.

Buy a Honda, it's made in the USA. Don't buy a Saturn, it's made in
Germany. ;-)

Old June 29th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Thomas Armagost wrote:
>> Saturn will replace the Ion with the Opel Astra hatchback in late
>> 2007.

> Buy a Honda, it's made in the USA. Don't buy a Saturn, it's made in
> Germany. ;-)

That's why I bought a VUE. Honda reliability, but made in the USA. :-)
Old June 29th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:52:50 -0400, Ritz > wrote:

>Thomas Armagost wrote:
>>> Saturn will replace the Ion with the Opel Astra hatchback in late
>>> 2007.

>> Buy a Honda, it's made in the USA. Don't buy a Saturn, it's made in
>> Germany. ;-)

>That's why I bought a VUE. Honda reliability, but made in the USA. :-)

And Honda's are a real pain in a arse to work on when they break too.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old June 29th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

SnoMan wrote:

>>> Buy a Honda, it's made in the USA. Don't buy a Saturn, it's made in
>>> Germany. ;-)

>> That's why I bought a VUE. Honda reliability, but made in the USA. :-)

> And Honda's are a real pain in a arse to work on when they break too.

They're ALL a pain to work on when they break. I'd rather roll the dice
on a the Honda 3.5L + 5A drivetrain than anything comparable GM has at
this juncture. If the VUE had a GM powerplant/trans I wouldn't have
purchased it.
Old June 29th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:58:54 -0400, Ritz > wrote:

>They're ALL a pain to work on when they break. I'd rather roll the dice
>on a the Honda 3.5L + 5A drivetrain than anything comparable GM has at
>this juncture. If the VUE had a GM powerplant/trans I wouldn't have
>purchased it.

I am not saying the a GM engine is better but I am saying that a Honda
engine is not the best either. I had a freind that used to drive Honda
for years until he got tired of getting skinned to get it worked on
out of warranty. Honda are okay when they are new but you do not want
to have one grow too old on you.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old June 29th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In message >,
SnoMan ) wrote:

> I am not saying [that] a GM engine is better but I am saying that
> a Honda engine is not the best either.

It could be worse. The unfurled printout of recall notices could be
over six feet high. I've had two such cars.

The VUE is a typical "New World Order" vehicle. It's a Frankenstein's
Monster made of parts from anywhere and everywhere on Earth. This
year the V6 is a Honda engine. A few years down the road Saturn may
switch to an Opel diesel engine. Or Volvo. Or SAAB.

Will GM even bother to continue supporting the Green Line when Saturn
changes the VUE's style?

> I had a freind that used to drive Honda for years until he got
> tired of getting skinned to get it worked on out of warranty.
> Honda are okay when they are new but you do not want to have
> one grow too old on you.

You're supposed to buy a new car every 3-5 years.