Saturn Spring Hill Factory To Close

Old November 21st 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Saturn Spring Hill Factory To Close

"A Different Kind of Car Company" ------

------ > "Just Another Struggling GM Brand"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051121/ap_on_bi_ge/gm

Old November 21st 05, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"John Horner" > wrote in message

> "A Different Kind of Car Company" ------
>
> ------ > "Just Another Struggling GM Brand"
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051121/ap_on_bi_ge/gm

where else do they assemble saturn ?

Old November 21st 05, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Laz wrote:
> "John Horner" > wrote in message
>
>>"A Different Kind of Car Company" ------
>>
>>------ > "Just Another Struggling GM Brand"
>>
>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051121/ap_on_bi_ge/gm
>>

> where else do they assemble saturn ?

The "L" was built in Delaware. The new minivan comes from the same
factory as other GM minivans. The Vue could shift to the Ontario plant
alongside the Equinox. The Sky could be built allow with the Solstice
in Delaware.

My guess is that the Ion will be replaced with something from Korea or
China by the time the 2008 models role out. GM said that one production
line is staying open in Spring Hill, which is a bit confusing. Maybe
that is the new Sky line.

What GM didn't say today is anything about Korea and China. I think
that they are quitely planning to ramp up production for export in one
or both of them but are keeping it out of the press.

John
Old November 21st 05, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

John Horner wrote:

> What GM didn't say today is anything about Korea and China. I think
> that they are quitely planning to ramp up production for export in one
> or both of them but are keeping it out of the press.

It's possible that some other automakers will purchase factories that
are relatively new. I.e. Toyota and Honda are capacity constrained, and
have a big committment to U.S. manufacturing. There is a big reluctance
by many consumers to purchase cars built outside the U.S., but little
reluctance to buy foreign nameplates that are built in the U.S..

Unless we see $1.50/gallon gasoline again soon, Ford and GM may not
survive, since all their profits came from trucks and SUVs, and they've
not demonstrated any ability to design desirable smaller cars.

It's more likely that GM will move more production to Mexico, than to
Korea or China.
Old November 22nd 05, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"One production line will close and one will remain open in Spring Hill,
Tenn."

Old November 22nd 05, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

They are shutting down the Ion line.

Ed

Old November 22nd 05, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I can clarify.

We discussed this at work today after reading the latest media post from
Jill Lajdziak. (Saturn CEO). It was in the plans anyways to move production
of the ION for the model yr. '07 to Youngstown OH where the Cobalt is built
as it's already on the same platform. Today's news only clarifies the plan.

Line 1 at Spring Hill (now called GM Spring Hill plant)where the ION is
currently built will be shut down and production of the ION will be moved to
OH at the end of '06. That means that '07 model year IONs may be the last
polymer panel IONs.

In addition, GM is closing the birthplace of the cross branded Relay in late
'06 too.

This doesnt mean the end of Saturn, its a new era for them. They intend on
bringing out a newer european looking line of vehicles, starting with the
SKY. IMHO not a bad start, cant wait to see whats new.

Long live the S car, bring on the kappa platform cars. :-)
marx404

Old November 22nd 05, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"John Horner" > wrote in message
newsTngf.2041$PC2.691@trnddc03...
> Laz wrote:
> > "John Horner" > wrote in message
> >
> >>"A Different Kind of Car Company" ------
> >>
> >>------ > "Just Another Struggling GM Brand"
> >>
> >>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051121/ap_on_bi_ge/gm
> >>

> > where else do they assemble saturn ?
> >

> The "L" was built in Delaware. The new minivan comes from the same
> factory as other GM minivans. The Vue could shift to the Ontario plant
> alongside the Equinox. The Sky could be built allow with the Solstice
> in Delaware.
>
> My guess is that the Ion will be replaced with something from Korea or
> China by the time the 2008 models role out. GM said that one production
> line is staying open in Spring Hill, which is a bit confusing. Maybe
> that is the new Sky line.
>
> What GM didn't say today is anything about Korea and China. I think
> that they are quitely planning to ramp up production for export in one
> or both of them but are keeping it out of the press.
>
> John

Thanx John, just what I need, a Chinese Saturn.....

Laz

Old November 22nd 05, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"marx404" > wrote in message
> I can clarify.
>
> We discussed this at work today after reading the latest media post from
> Jill Lajdziak. (Saturn CEO). It was in the plans anyways to move

production
> of the ION for the model yr. '07 to Youngstown OH where the Cobalt is

built
> as it's already on the same platform. Today's news only clarifies the

plan.

> Line 1 at Spring Hill (now called GM Spring Hill plant)where the ION is
> currently built will be shut down and production of the ION will be moved

> OH at the end of '06. That means that '07 model year IONs may be the last
> polymer panel IONs.
>
> In addition, GM is closing the birthplace of the cross branded Relay in

late
> '06 too.
>
> This doesnt mean the end of Saturn, its a new era for them. They intend on
> bringing out a newer european looking line of vehicles, starting with the
> SKY. IMHO not a bad start, cant wait to see whats new.
>
> Long live the S car, bring on the kappa platform cars. :-)
> marx404

So, for 08 on, all the Saturns will be stamped sheet-metal ?

Laz

Old November 22nd 05, 08:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

John Horner wrote:
> Laz wrote:
>
>> "John Horner" > wrote in message
>>
>>> "A Different Kind of Car Company" ------
>>>
>>> ------ > "Just Another Struggling GM Brand"
>>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051121/ap_on_bi_ge/gm
>>>

>> where else do they assemble saturn ?
>>

> The "L" was built in Delaware. The new minivan comes from the same
> factory as other GM minivans. The Vue could shift to the Ontario plant
> alongside the Equinox. The Sky could be built allow with the Solstice
> in Delaware.
>
> My guess is that the Ion will be replaced with something from Korea or
> China by the time the 2008 models role out. GM said that one production
> line is staying open in Spring Hill, which is a bit confusing. Maybe
> that is the new Sky line.
>
> What GM didn't say today is anything about Korea and China. I think
> that they are quitely planning to ramp up production for export in one
> or both of them but are keeping it out of the press.
>
> John

My best guess of the two would be Korea. I had a Daewoo prior to the GM
buy-out...and it actually wasn't a bad car until GM got their hands on
it and made it an Aveo.

The plants in Korea have the production capabilities, but I just don't
know if GM can/will let them ramp up again for North American production
when China is coming up so fast. I'd say they are more likely to turn
the Kroean plants over to making small cars for the Chinese market.

One thing is for sure....if GM keeps knocking off the cars I own so
fast, I won't be owning too many more from them. I want something I can
pay off and run for a while before needing a replacement 'cause I can't
get parts as the model has been discontinued, bought out or plain abandoned.

Michael Halliwell