91 honda accord has a few problems...

Old October 7th 05, 06:50 PM
kris82

Default 91 honda accord has a few problems...

first off, the S light flashes all the time. The check engine light comes
on after driving it for a little while and lastly... when you turn the car
on it seems to putter (or at least thats what it sounds like) it takes off
fine, but you can feel it "putter" when driving and when stopped at a
light... any ideas?????

Old October 7th 05, 07:42 PM
TeGGeR®

"kris82" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> first off, the S light flashes all the time.

Count the blinks. The sequence is separated by a long pause. If there
appears to be just a steady constant blink, it's code 1.

A long blink is worth 10, a short blink is worth 1, so the sequence
long-short <repeat> = code eleven.
short-short-short <repeat> = code three.

> The check engine light
> comes on after driving it for a little while

Pull the carpet back in the passenger footwell. There is a small LED set
into the yellow framework you see there. Turn the ignition on (but not
START!), and count the blinks.

Blink sequence is as above. There may be more than one code stored, so
watch carefully.

> and lastly... when you
> turn the car on it seems to putter (or at least thats what it sounds
> like) it takes off fine, but you can feel it "putter" when driving and
> when stopped at a light... any ideas?????

Need those codes first.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 7th 05, 08:14 PM
High Tech Misfit

TeGGeR® wrote:

>> The check engine light
>> comes on after driving it for a little while

> Pull the carpet back in the passenger footwell. There is a small LED set
> into the yellow framework you see there. Turn the ignition on (but not
> START!), and count the blinks.

Does a '91 Accord actually have a LED there? My '93 Accord, which is the
same generation, does not have it and must have its codes retrieved from the
check engine light with the service check connector shorted.
Old October 7th 05, 10:59 PM
Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:14:21 -0400, High Tech Misfit >
wrote:

>TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>>> The check engine light
>>> comes on after driving it for a little while

>> Pull the carpet back in the passenger footwell. There is a small LED set
>> into the yellow framework you see there. Turn the ignition on (but not
>> START!), and count the blinks.

>Does a '91 Accord actually have a LED there? My '93 Accord, which is the
>same generation, does not have it and must have its codes retrieved from the
>check engine light with the service check connector shorted.

My 90 has an LED.
Old October 8th 05, 02:17 AM
TeGGeR®

High Tech Misfit > wrote in
:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>>> The check engine light
>>> comes on after driving it for a little while

>> Pull the carpet back in the passenger footwell. There is a small LED
>> set into the yellow framework you see there. Turn the ignition on
>> (but not START!), and count the blinks.

> Does a '91 Accord actually have a LED there?

According to my Helm manual, yes.

Old October 8th 05, 02:41 AM
High Tech Misfit

TeGGeR® wrote:

> High Tech Misfit > wrote in
> :

>>> Pull the carpet back in the passenger footwell. There is a small LED
>>> set into the yellow framework you see there. Turn the ignition on
>>> (but not START!), and count the blinks.

>> Does a '91 Accord actually have a LED there?

> According to my Helm manual, yes.

And Frank B. said his '90 has it. I guess Honda removed it for '92 or '93.
I know it's not the best source, but my Chilton book only mentions the
service connector method for retrieving codes on the '90-'95.
Old October 8th 05, 04:25 PM
Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:41:32 -0400, High Tech Misfit >
wrote:

>TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>> High Tech Misfit > wrote in
>> :

>>> Does a '91 Accord actually have a LED there?

>> According to my Helm manual, yes.

>And Frank B. said his '90 has it. I guess Honda removed it for '92 or '93.
>I know it's not the best source, but my Chilton book only mentions the
>service connector method for retrieving codes on the '90-'95.

I bought a Honda service manual when my 90 went off warranty. Ugh,
very expensive compared to Haynes, Helms, Chilton, etc. However, best
manual I've ever used with regard to chronological trouble shooting.
I have a Haynes for my 97, however, I always go to the 90 manual first
to see if it applies.

Have you actually looked? Book may be wrong.

Frank
Old October 8th 05, 05:00 PM
High Tech Misfit

Frank Boettcher wrote:

>>And Frank B. said his '90 has it. I guess Honda removed it for '92 or '93.
>>I know it's not the best source, but my Chilton book only mentions the
>>service connector method for retrieving codes on the '90-'95.

> I bought a Honda service manual when my 90 went off warranty. Ugh,
> very expensive compared to Haynes, Helms, Chilton, etc. However, best
> manual I've ever used with regard to chronological trouble shooting.
> I have a Haynes for my 97, however, I always go to the 90 manual first
> to see if it applies.
>
> Have you actually looked? Book may be wrong.

Yeah, I looked a few years ago, and there was no LED.

I don't use the Chilton book religiously. In fact, it was a birthday
present. :-)
Old October 8th 05, 05:12 PM
Elle

"Frank Boettcher" > wrote
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:41:32 -0400, High Tech Misfit >
> wrote:
>
> >TeGGeR® wrote:
> >
> >> High Tech Misfit > wrote in
> >> :

> >> According to my Helm manual, yes.

> >And Frank B. said his '90 has it. I guess Honda removed it for '92 or

'93.
> >I know it's not the best source, but my Chilton book only mentions the
> >service connector method for retrieving codes on the '90-'95.

> I bought a Honda service manual when my 90 went off warranty. Ugh,
> very expensive compared to Haynes, Helms, Chilton, etc. However, best
> manual I've ever used with regard to chronological trouble shooting.
> I have a Haynes for my 97, however, I always go to the 90 manual first
> to see if it applies.
>
> Have you actually looked? Book may be wrong.

www.autozone.com 's free repair guide for the 1991 Accord states:

"On 1990-95 Accord (except V-6) and 1992-95 Prelude, the codes are read from
the check engine light after the two-wire service connector has been
jumpered. On Accords, the service connector is under the dash on the
passenger side."

(The autozone site tends to be a replication of Chilton's, though. Still, I
haven't found any notable errors in Chilton's for my 1991 Civic. The
autozone site says 91 Civics have an LED display, and my 91 Civic does.)