Off to car heaven

Old February 23rd 09, 05:00 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.makers.saturn,alt.autos.saab
David T. Johnson

Default Off to car heaven

Dave U. Random wrote:
> Moneyblog http://is.gd/jYqP
>
> Say goodbye to Saturn. And Saab and Hummer, for that
> matter. Pontiac, too, for all intents and purposes.

There have been some good cars produced under those names...and I hope
they'll find a way to continue. But...not under GM. GM has acquired
other companies for years beginning with Oldsmobile and ending with
Hummer. By and large it's been a 101-year disaster. GM has only one
way of doing things and it's not a good one now for the 21st century.
When they have such a large market share, their disaster becomes our
disaster. A steadily shrinking GM is much better for the American
economy than a suddenly-collapsing one. The entire idea behind 'GM' is
wrong in the age of instant messaging and widespread computer tools
(top-down management and corporate structure, stifled innovation, the
total is more important than the sums, etc.) and it's time for 'GM' to
slowly fade into history and give way to manufacturing structures from
other companies more attuned to contemporary times. GM was the right
idea for the industrial revolution in the early 20th century but now
they are way past their time. The best thing that could possibly happen
to the brands listed above is to cut loose. Maybe they'll go out of
business but they would have gone away anyway and this way they might
have a chance at some sort of new life.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a
Old February 23rd 09, 11:13 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.makers.saturn,alt.autos.saab
Canuck57[_2_]

"David T. Johnson" > wrote in message
diainc...
> Dave U. Random wrote:
>> Moneyblog http://is.gd/jYqP
>>
>> Say goodbye to Saturn. And Saab and Hummer, for that matter. Pontiac,
>> too, for all intents and purposes.

> There have been some good cars produced under those names...and I hope
> they'll find a way to continue. But...not under GM. GM has acquired
> other companies for years beginning with Oldsmobile and ending with
> Hummer. By and large it's been a 101-year disaster. GM has only one way
> of doing things and it's not a good one now for the 21st century. When
> they have such a large market share, their disaster becomes our disaster.
> A steadily shrinking GM is much better for the American economy than a
> suddenly-collapsing one. The entire idea behind 'GM' is wrong in the age
> of instant messaging and widespread computer tools (top-down management
> and corporate structure, stifled innovation, the total is more important
> than the sums, etc.) and it's time for 'GM' to slowly fade into history
> and give way to manufacturing structures from other companies more attuned
> to contemporary times. GM was the right idea for the industrial
> revolution in the early 20th century but now they are way past their time.
> The best thing that could possibly happen to the brands listed above is to
> cut loose. Maybe they'll go out of business but they would have gone away
> anyway and this way they might have a chance at some sort of new life.

The best thing for GM is what Wagoner wants to avoid as his salary will be
cut. Chapter 11. Chapter 11 forces the issues to be resolved by creditors,
suppliers, unions, management with a no BS right now attitude. For if they
don't, chapter 7.

In chapter 7, worst case GM as it exists now is sold off to recover as much
as possible for the creditors. Everything will be sold off. This also
includes the GM trademarks and plants.

With GM in chapter 7, some smart billionaires will buy enough of GM without
the baggage and start GM New, maybe even eventually relisted as GMN.
Seriously, a GM reborn but without the baggage. Many will even be rehired
but as if in a brand new company and in a way to bypass union issues, likely
term contract work so if you are a trouble maker they just drop your
renewal.

It is also possible GM Europe and GM China are sold off into seperate
business units with no real relationship to GM North America. And will go
their own way.

GM will not die completely, but it will be forced into a real and tangible
re-organization without the rehtoric and BS seen so far.

Off to car heaven Henrik B. Saturn 4 February 24th 09 04:53 AM
Off to car heaven DervMan Saturn 10 February 23rd 09 10:45 PM
Off to car heaven: Saturn, Saab, Hummer Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] Driving 13 February 22nd 09 06:37 PM
Minivan heaven Matt Whiting Chrysler 29 December 29th 05 02:16 AM
IM IN HEAVEN. Teleplus Gatineau Ford Explorer 0 February 23rd 05 02:38 PM