Getting error codes concerning O2 and HO2 sensors Fixed I hope...

Old January 19th 05, 02:25 AM
Chuck

Default Getting error codes concerning O2 and HO2 sensors Fixed I hope...

Just in case it would help anyone else on here.. I had a problem a
couple weeks ago and I think I've cleared it up.. or at least lessened
the problem..

'96 mustang coupe automatic, 130,000 happy miles 3.8 liter engine..
Within 10 miles of getting gas (4 weeks ago) at a place that sells
tons of gas I got a check engine light. I checked my gas cap, then
plugged in my scanner (I carry it with me as .. it's small,, and I
sometimes travel great distances from home)
(engine ran great all through this problem)
I got the code "P1151" Manufacturers control air fuel mixture.
Checking the status of the various sensors would show 02 not ready,
H02 not ready catalyst not ready.
My repair manual didn't list "P1151" but a google on it showed a
really big list of stuff to look at. It basically said that something
is wrong somewhere between the water pump and the taillights.
Resetting the codes with scanner, the error would come back within 15
miles of driving, always the same code, but sometimes one O2 sensor
would be "ready" while the other wasn't.
After hearing praises for Sea Foam here and from a mechanic friend of
mine, I gave it a try. (the friend works on city equipment, police
cars and other stuff, mostly high mileage and abused)

I didn't have any kind of pressure tank to feed Sea Foam into injector
manifold.
As per directions on can, I pulled vacuum line from brake booster, and
as per advice from friend, pour 1/3 can in with engine running, then
pour rapidly enough to flood the engine till it quits (vs instructions
on can saying to shut car off)
Allow car to sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Pour rest of can into the gas
tank.
Ran car and got it up to operating temperature.

Like I said,, I was getting that same code every 15 miles (distance to
work)..
I've now driven 400 miles without getting code. Checking sensors
shows that 02 , H02 and catalyst are all happy,,,, for now anyway..
O2 sensors are original equipment... I could have needlessly changed
them if it were not for doing this..
(oh yeah.. the 400 miles I've driven since doing this, have been same
as during problem, 15 miles to work, 15 miles home..always being at
operating temperature prior to hitting the road.. remote starts are
great!)
Chuck
Old January 19th 05, 02:46 AM
JS

Just as a side note, and not condoning the practice of throwing parts at it
'till the computer's happy, but O2 sensors are a wear item, and are a part
of regularly scheduled maintenance. I'm about 99.726% sure that no O2
sensor is recommended for more than 100k miles (standard replacement rate is
usually 60k), so it might be time to change yours anyway. A new O2 sensor
can respond to changes faster and give your car better performance, and
perhaps better gas mileage.

JS

Old January 19th 05, 05:00 PM
Rein

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:25:50 GMT, Chuck > wrote:

>Just in case it would help anyone else on here.. I had a problem a
>couple weeks ago and I think I've cleared it up.. or at least lessened
>the problem..
>
>'96 mustang coupe automatic, 130,000 happy miles 3.8 liter engine..
>Within 10 miles of getting gas (4 weeks ago) at a place that sells
>tons of gas I got a check engine light. I checked my gas cap, then
>plugged in my scanner (I carry it with me as .. it's small,, and I
>sometimes travel great distances from home)
>(engine ran great all through this problem)
>I got the code "P1151" Manufacturers control air fuel mixture.
>Checking the status of the various sensors would show 02 not ready,
>H02 not ready catalyst not ready.
>My repair manual didn't list "P1151" but a google on it showed a
>really big list of stuff to look at. It basically said that something
>is wrong somewhere between the water pump and the taillights.
>Resetting the codes with scanner, the error would come back within 15
>miles of driving, always the same code, but sometimes one O2 sensor
>would be "ready" while the other wasn't.
>After hearing praises for Sea Foam here and from a mechanic friend of
>mine, I gave it a try. (the friend works on city equipment, police
>cars and other stuff, mostly high mileage and abused)
>
>I didn't have any kind of pressure tank to feed Sea Foam into injector
>manifold.
>As per directions on can, I pulled vacuum line from brake booster, and
>as per advice from friend, pour 1/3 can in with engine running, then
>pour rapidly enough to flood the engine till it quits (vs instructions
>on can saying to shut car off)
>Allow car to sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Pour rest of can into the gas
>tank.
>Ran car and got it up to operating temperature.
>
>Like I said,, I was getting that same code every 15 miles (distance to
>work)..
>I've now driven 400 miles without getting code. Checking sensors
>shows that 02 , H02 and catalyst are all happy,,,, for now anyway..
>O2 sensors are original equipment... I could have needlessly changed
>them if it were not for doing this..
>(oh yeah.. the 400 miles I've driven since doing this, have been same
>as during problem, 15 miles to work, 15 miles home..always being at
>operating temperature prior to hitting the road.. remote starts are
>great!)
>Chuck

Like someone else said on here; it's very likely to be the o2 sensors
going bad or boderline bad. They don't just fail, they slowly get
worse over time.
I've had them go out as early as 50k miles !

Seafoam is great stuff. I use it in my motorcycle all the time. Keeps
the carbs nice and clean and prevents the gas form going bad when I
don't ride it.