Saturn VS Honda

Old December 3rd 04, 03:47 AM
Blue Dragon

Default Saturn VS Honda

I drive a 1997 Civic, never any problem other than replace timing belt,
tires etc. Now have 180,000 miles and considering a Saturn. Honda gets
about 36 MPG, Could I expect the miles and this type of problem free driving
with a Saturn?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old December 3rd 04, 02:12 PM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:47:35 -0600, "Blue Dragon" > wrote:

>I drive a 1997 Civic, never any problem other than replace timing belt,
>tires etc. Now have 180,000 miles and considering a Saturn. Honda gets
>about 36 MPG, Could I expect the miles and this type of problem free driving
>with a Saturn?
>
>Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

let me get this, you had one make and model, and never had any
problems, and now you want to try out a totally new maker's product?

Do you have money to burn? Stick with what works, especially a car
maker.

hth,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Old December 3rd 04, 02:41 PM
Art

Quite frankly if you are happy with the Honda get another. My parents
bought a L300 Saturn wagon several months ago and I have driven it quite a
bit. Honda is well known for its tight steering. I do not believe you
would be happy with the vague steering of at least this Saturn particularly
when pointing the wheel straight. There is no road feel at all when the
wheel is centered.

Old December 3rd 04, 05:57 PM
Matt O'Toole

Blue Dragon wrote:

> I drive a 1997 Civic, never any problem other than replace timing
> belt, tires etc. Now have 180,000 miles and considering a Saturn.
> Honda gets about 36 MPG, Could I expect the miles and this type of
> problem free driving with a Saturn?

Saturns are not as trouble free as Hondas, but they're still darned good, and
cheap to buy and fix. Mileage of the S-Series was excellent -- I've gotten 40
MPG at 70 MPH in my mom's SW2 -- but the ION has gained over 400 LB, is bigger
overall, and has a bigger engine, so I doubt it will do as well. Frankly I
think it's a bit of a junker compared to the competition. A Civic, Corolla, or
Focus is a much nicer car. The S-Series was relatively much better when it came
out.

Most cars will go 300k with little trouble these days. I'd just keep the Honda
until it looks and feels so shabby you can't stand it any more.

Matt O.

Old December 3rd 04, 09:44 PM
Rev Turd Fredericks

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:57:45 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" >
wrote:

>Blue Dragon wrote:
>
>> I drive a 1997 Civic, never any problem other than replace timing
>> belt, tires etc. Now have 180,000 miles and considering a Saturn.
>> Honda gets about 36 MPG, Could I expect the miles and this type of
>> problem free driving with a Saturn?

>Saturns are not as trouble free as Hondas, but they're still darned good, and
>cheap to buy and fix. Mileage of the S-Series was excellent -- I've gotten 40
>MPG at 70 MPH in my mom's SW2 -- but the ION has gained over 400 LB, is bigger
>overall, and has a bigger engine, so I doubt it will do as well. Frankly I
>think it's a bit of a junker compared to the competition. A Civic, Corolla, or
>Focus is a much nicer car. The S-Series was relatively much better when it came
>out.

I got about 32mpg on a recent trip in my new 2004 Saturn coupe and
that was in rather hilly terrain at 75-80mph (cruise control on most
of the trip between Irvine CA and Laughlin NV ), so it isn't that
bad. If the original poster wants to look at getting an ION he should
definately consider the leather interior, it makes a huge difference
as far as comfort and overall feel of the car.

This is my 3rd Saturn and I have never had a speck of trouble with any
of them, a very reliable car IMHO.

>Most cars will go 300k with little trouble these days. I'd just keep the Honda
>until it looks and feels so shabby you can't stand it any more.

Or starts belching blue smoke as Hondas tend to do after awhile.

Old December 3rd 04, 10:51 PM
Blah blah

In article >,
says...
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:57:45 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" >
> wrote:
>
> >Blue Dragon wrote:
> >
> >> I drive a 1997 Civic, never any problem other than replace timing
> >> belt, tires etc. Now have 180,000 miles and considering a Saturn.
> >> Honda gets about 36 MPG, Could I expect the miles and this type of
> >> problem free driving with a Saturn?

> >Saturns are not as trouble free as Hondas, but they're still darned good, and
> >cheap to buy and fix. Mileage of the S-Series was excellent -- I've gotten 40
> >MPG at 70 MPH in my mom's SW2 -- but the ION has gained over 400 LB, is bigger
> >overall, and has a bigger engine, so I doubt it will do as well. Frankly I
> >think it's a bit of a junker compared to the competition. A Civic, Corolla, or
> >Focus is a much nicer car. The S-Series was relatively much better when it came
> >out.

> I got about 32mpg on a recent trip in my new 2004 Saturn coupe and
> that was in rather hilly terrain at 75-80mph (cruise control on most
> of the trip between Irvine CA and Laughlin NV ), so it isn't that
> bad. If the original poster wants to look at getting an ION he should
> definately consider the leather interior, it makes a huge difference
> as far as comfort and overall feel of the car.
>
> This is my 3rd Saturn and I have never had a speck of trouble with any
> of them, a very reliable car IMHO.
>

> >Most cars will go 300k with little trouble these days. I'd just keep the Honda
> >until it looks and feels so shabby you can't stand it any more.
> >

> Or starts belching blue smoke as Hondas tend to do after awhile.

30+ mpg Highway isnt hard for any modern car to get. City is usually
the killer. Also there are big differences between auto's and manuals.
Manuals will give you the best. Late model F-body's with V8's and 6
speeds get superb gas mileage. No drag to speak of and hell of a lot of
low end torque from the engine for cruising in 6th gear. Higher octane
and insurance prices are the only reason I dont drive one...

Old December 4th 04, 11:06 PM
DAW

Buy a VUE V6 which has Honda V-Tech engine. Best of both worlds (sort of).

Old December 6th 04, 05:29 AM
David

We have a 2000 Saturn LS2 (SAAB V6 and 400 lb 4-speed auto) and 2 Chevys
with 3100 V6 and 4-speed autos. We mostly just drive; repairs are few and
far between. Can't find anything to fix on the 2000 Malibu or the Corsica
(with 250,000 km on it).

My neighbour just bought an Accura with 70,000 km on it and had to replace
the timing chain. Any ride in any Honda I have had was like an old farm
truck; rough and noisy.

There is no comparison between Saturn and Honda, except the huge additional
price for a Honda. And all I get for that several thousand dollars is a
ride in an old truck!

Yes, I know there are Honda die-hards out there, but as I approach
retirement I appreciate a nice quiet, smooth ride.

David

Old December 6th 04, 06:23 AM
Philip Nasadowski

Hondas are reliable, which is a good thing if you've ever seen a repair
bill on one.

Oh yeah, they can't build an automatic transmision that's worth a sack
of ****.
Old December 6th 04, 07:31 PM