92 Accord Running HOT? Also sometimes IDLE BOUNCE... Thermostat??

Old February 28th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

Default 92 Accord Running HOT? Also sometimes IDLE BOUNCE... Thermostat??

On Feb 28, 8:34 am, Tegger > wrote:
> Joe LaVigne > wrote in news:54l06kF21871vU6
> @mid.individual.net:

> >> Why the rad cap too?

> > Because Rad Caps go bad,

> Specifically the vrious seals.
>
> > and when they do they allow the coolant to boil,
> > forcing it to the reservoir, and then to the ground. Not a good thing.
> > Should probably be replaced every few years as a matter of PM.

> 100% correct. A bad rad cap cansometimesbe misdiagnosed as a blown head
> gasket.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

OK I just got off the phone with a local garage... they tell me my rad
is gone... they said what happen was it was low on coolant and thats
why the car ran hot and I had no heat... but I did top it up the first
thing that day... and it still ran hot.

For some reason I don't think it is my rad, because its not leaking or
anything. And I mean that doesn't explain my idle bouncing and it
makes more sense to me that my thermostat is gone.... considering one
day I had heat, the car would only get hot when it was idling, driving
it would cool down... then the next day I had NO heat, the car was
running hot for the hour or so i drove it, with no heat.... I'm
thinking the thermostat was stuck closed or open.

Do you think my rad is really no good? or could it still be a
thermostat?

Old March 1st 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"85miles" > wrote in
oups.com:

> OK I just got off the phone with a local garage... they tell me my rad
> is gone... they said what happen was it was low on coolant and thats
> why the car ran hot and I had no heat... but I did top it up the first
> thing that day... and it still ran hot.
>
> For some reason I don't think it is my rad, because its not leaking or
> anything. And I mean that doesn't explain my idle bouncing and it
> makes more sense to me that my thermostat is gone.... considering one
> day I had heat, the car would only get hot when it was idling, driving
> it would cool down... then the next day I had NO heat, the car was
> running hot for the hour or so i drove it, with no heat.... I'm
> thinking the thermostat was stuck closed or open.
>
> Do you think my rad is really no good? or could it still be a
> thermostat?

Rads "go bad" in one of three ways:
1) Fins corrode and fall off,
2) core gets plugged with crud from neglect or wrong antifreeze,
3) tanks crack and leak.

If your garage can't identify these, you need a new garage.

Bouncing idle is an air leak or low coolant. If you have ascertained the
rad level is right up to the top, then the problem is most likely the
Fast Idle Thermo Valve having stuck open. This usually happens when
cooling systems are neglected.

Poor heater output combined with overheating at idle (fans working)
means your coolant circulation is poor. This is usually caused by low
coolant.

If the coolant repeatedly gets low in spite of your attempts at topping
it up, then you have possible:
1) blown head gasket,
2) bad rad cap,
3) failed connection between rad cap and overflow reservoir,
4) corroded water pump
5) external water leak.

You need a competent garage to look at this thing. Your problem should
be solvable in a half-hour.

Old March 1st 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

On Mar 1, 9:11 am, Tegger > wrote:
> "85miles" > wrote groups.com:
>

> > OK I just got off the phone with a local garage... they tell me my rad
> > is gone... they said what happen was it was low on coolant and thats
> > why the car ranhotand I had no heat... but I did top it up the first
> > thing that day... and it still ranhot.

> > For some reason I don't think it is my rad, because its not leaking or
> > anything. And I mean that doesn't explain myidlebouncing and it
> > makes more sense to me that mythermostatis gone.... considering one
> > day I had heat, the car would only gethotwhen it was idling, driving
> > it would cool down... then the next day I had NO heat, the car was
> >runninghotfor the hour or so i drove it, with no heat.... I'm
> > thinking thethermostatwas stuck closed or open.

> > Do you think my rad is really no good? or could it still be a
> >thermostat?

> Rads "go bad" in one of three ways:
> 1) Fins corrode and fall off,
> 2) core gets plugged with crud from neglect or wrong antifreeze,
> 3) tanks crack and leak.
>
> If your garage can't identify these, you need a new garage.
>
> Bouncingidleis an air leak or low coolant. If you have ascertained the
> rad level is right up to the top, then the problem is most likely the
> FastIdleThermo Valve having stuck open. This usually happens when
> cooling systems are neglected.
>
> Poor heater output combined with overheating atidle(fans working)
> means your coolant circulation is poor. This is usually caused by low
> coolant.
>
> If the coolant repeatedly gets low in spite of your attempts at topping
> it up, then you have possible:
> 1) blown head gasket,
> 2) bad rad cap,
> 3) failed connection between rad cap and overflow reservoir,
> 4) corroded water pump
> 5) external water leak.
>
> You need a competent garage to look at this thing. Your problem should
> be solvable in a half-hour.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Well thanks Tegger your great help...
Im going to take the car to another garage, I have an unkle that works
there. Maybe he will have some better advice for me then the previous
garage.