92 Accord Running HOT? Also sometimes IDLE BOUNCE... Thermostat??

Old February 26th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

Default 92 Accord Running HOT? Also sometimes IDLE BOUNCE... Thermostat??

Hi

I have a 92 accord, 285,000 KM on it.

Just yesterday I noticed the smell of anti-freeze... soon later after
driving and coming to a stop I seen anti-freeze steam rising from the
hood.. I also noticed that when the car sits at idle the temp needle
rises above the H line.... but as soon as I drive it goes back to
normal.

Today I started my car and after about 5 minutes once warmed up (its
like -10 here now) the idle was bouncing from 800-2000 over and
over.... once I put in drive it went back to normal. The temp needle
was also rising above the H line... I started driving and everything
seems fine but the needle seems to lower and rise above the H
line.... after 20 minutes or so I came home and just let the car
idle, there was no longer an idle jump from 800-2000.....

Im confused.... could this be a temperature coolant sensor? or could
it be my thermostat? any help would be greatly appreciated!

-one other thing... since i bought the car this summer when I shut the
car off sometimes the fan kicks in.

Old February 26th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

85miles wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a 92 accord, 285,000 KM on it.
>
> Just yesterday I noticed the smell of anti-freeze... soon later after
> driving and coming to a stop I seen anti-freeze steam rising from the
> hood.. I also noticed that when the car sits at idle the temp needle
> rises above the H line.... but as soon as I drive it goes back to
> normal.
>
> Today I started my car and after about 5 minutes once warmed up (its
> like -10 here now) the idle was bouncing from 800-2000 over and
> over.... once I put in drive it went back to normal. The temp needle
> was also rising above the H line... I started driving and everything
> seems fine but the needle seems to lower and rise above the H
> line.... after 20 minutes or so I came home and just let the car
> idle, there was no longer an idle jump from 800-2000.....
>
> Im confused.... could this be a temperature coolant sensor? or could
> it be my thermostat? any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -one other thing... since i bought the car this summer when I shut the
> car off sometimes the fan kicks in.

=================================

Cooling fan switches don't work if they are not immersed in coolant, so
top up the rad and fill the reservoir to the -MAX- mark, and add some
more the next time the engine is cool. You'll see the level has dropped
as the engine purges some air from the system and 'sips' it from the
reservoir.
Owner's manuals are often available from wrecking yards for about 1/3rd
of the dealer price.

'Curly'
Old February 27th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
marbillion

"85miles" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi
>
> I have a 92 accord, 285,000 KM on it.
>
> Just yesterday I noticed the smell of anti-freeze... soon later after
> driving and coming to a stop I seen anti-freeze steam rising from the
> hood.. I also noticed that when the car sits at idle the temp needle
> rises above the H line.... but as soon as I drive it goes back to
> normal.
>
> Today I started my car and after about 5 minutes once warmed up (its
> like -10 here now) the idle was bouncing from 800-2000 over and
> over.... once I put in drive it went back to normal. The temp needle
> was also rising above the H line... I started driving and everything
> seems fine but the needle seems to lower and rise above the H
> line.... after 20 minutes or so I came home and just let the car
> idle, there was no longer an idle jump from 800-2000.....
>
> Im confused.... could this be a temperature coolant sensor? or could
> it be my thermostat? any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -one other thing... since i bought the car this summer when I shut the
> car off sometimes the fan kicks in.

I would check or replace the thermostat. sounds like it might be stuck
closed so hot coolant is only circulating in the engine bypassing the
radiator.

Old February 27th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

Today I drove it around looking for a thermostat at some auto part
stores around here... not one place has a thermostat for my car... but
anyways, while driving... after maybe an hour of stop and go... the
check engine light came on, and the car started to lose power... the
temp was also above the H line.... one more thing is I lost the heat
in my car today....

Im starting to think this is a coolant temp sensor, and maybe a
thermostat too because of the sudden heat loss....

What are your thoughts?

Old February 27th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

I would also like to add that for about 20 minutes the cars idle was
jumping from 1000-2200 rpm. Its done that yesterday and today once
the car got warm.

Old February 27th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"85miles" > wrote in news:1172558786.375033.266670
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I would also like to add that for about 20 minutes the cars idle was
> jumping from 1000-2200 rpm. Its done that yesterday and today once
> the car got warm.

Bouncing idle is usually a big air leak.

With car full-warm and idle bouncing, remove air cleaner pipe from throttle
body. Cover LOWER port in the throttle body with your finger. Does bouncing
stop? Then Fast Idle Thermo Valve is stuck open.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 27th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"85miles" > wrote in news:1172558532.279506.185210
@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Today I drove it around looking for a thermostat at some auto part
> stores around here... not one place has a thermostat for my car...

Don't use an aftermarket thermostat. That's asking for even more trouble.
Use a dealer thermostat only. It's about $30.

> but
> anyways, while driving... after maybe an hour of stop and go... the
> check engine light came on,

Get the code behind the light and report it here.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/..._E_14JAN03.pdf
(specifically page 15)

> and the car started to lose power... the
> temp was also above the H line.... one more thing is I lost the heat
> in my car today....
>
> Im starting to think this is a coolant temp sensor, and maybe a
> thermostat too because of the sudden heat loss....

Replace thermostat and rad cap. With OEM only!

Old February 28th 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

> > Im starting to think this is a coolant temp sensor, and maybe a
> >thermostat too because of the sudden heat loss....

> Replace thermostat and rad cap. With OEM only!

Why the rad cap too?

Old February 28th 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:40:59 -0800, 85miles wrote:

>> > Im starting to think this is a coolant temp sensor, and maybe a
>> >thermostat too because of the sudden heat loss....

>> Replace thermostat and rad cap. With OEM only!
>>

> Why the rad cap too?

Because Rad Caps go bad, and when they do they allow the coolant to boil,
forcing it to the reservoir, and then to the ground. Not a good thing.
Should probably be replaced every few years as a matter of PM.
Old February 28th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Joe LaVigne > wrote in news:54l06kF21871vU6
@mid.individual.net:

>>> Replace thermostat and rad cap. With OEM only!
>>>

>> Why the rad cap too?

> Because Rad Caps go bad,

Specifically the vrious seals.

> and when they do they allow the coolant to boil,
> forcing it to the reservoir, and then to the ground. Not a good thing.
> Should probably be replaced every few years as a matter of PM.

100% correct. A bad rad cap can sometimes be misdiagnosed as a blown head
gasket.