Premature failure of ball joints and tire feathering

Old May 25th 19, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vannessa

Default Premature failure of ball joints and tire feathering

Hi I own a 97 f250 with a problem of a premature upper ball joint failure every 5000 KLM with outside tire feathering since new. The mechanics have not been able to solve this problem or could not bother to try. I need to replace the upper ball joint again an wonder other areas that I should be looking at to replace. Can u help me plse.

Old May 25th 19, 07:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 25/5/19 2:47 pm, Vannessa wrote:
> Hi I own a 97 f250 with a problem of a premature upper ball joint failure every 5000 KLM with outside tire feathering since new. The mechanics have not been able to solve this problem or could not bother to try. I need to replace the upper ball joint again an wonder other areas that I should be looking at to replace. Can u help me plse.

Replace everything between the front and rear bumpers. Preferably with a
different brand of vehicle. That should resolve the issue.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old May 25th 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vannessa

Thx for ur wonderful insight. With my research, some culperts can be... Wheel bearings, tie rods, bushings, an a bent strut. I see ur no better then the other mechanics I have gone to solve this problem. Thx again for ur time.. lol
Vannessa
Old May 25th 19, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 26/5/19 2:59 am, Vannessa wrote:
> Thx for ur wonderful insight. With my research, some culperts can be... Wheel bearings, tie rods, bushings, an a bent strut. I see ur no better then the other mechanics I have gone to solve this problem. Thx again for ur time.. lol
> Vannessa

Thanks for proving your post was just another troll post.

FYI, the above causes are *not* responsible for repeated *ball joint
failure*.

Happy trolling.

Old May 26th 19, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Heron[_2_]

On 5/25/2019 5:45 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 26/5/19 2:59 am, Vannessa wrote:
>> Thx for ur wonderful insight. With my research, some culperts can
>> be... Wheel bearings, tie rods, bushings, an a bent strut. I see ur no
>> better then the other mechanics I have gone to solve this problem. Thx
>> again for ur time.. lol
>> Vannessa
>>

> Thanks for proving your post was just another troll post.
>
> FYI, the above causes are *not* responsible for repeated *ball joint
> failure*.
>
> Happy trolling.

Of the two of you, you're the far more likely troll.
Old May 26th 19, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
Vannessa > wrote:
>Thx for ur wonderful insight. With my research, some culperts can be... Wheel bearings, tie rods, bushings, an a bent strut. I see ur no better then the other mechanics I have gone to solve this problem. Thx again for ur time.. lol
>Vannessa

Go to an alignment shop.
Not a tire shop.
Not a chain store.
Go to a place that ONLY does alignments and nothing else. They will
likely cater mostly to the racing crowd.
Have THEM check your suspension over.
--scott
Old May 26th 19, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vannessa

Go to an alignment shop.
Not a tire shop.
Not a chain store.
Go to a place that ONLY does alignments and nothing else. They will
likely cater mostly to the racing crowd.
Have THEM check your suspension over.
--scott

Thx Scott
I'm from a small town.. there is no specialized alignment shops. Just the tire shops and a chain store. I will try to find someone that knows his stuff at this last tire store I have not been to.
Thank you for ur advise Scott.
Vannessa
Old May 26th 19, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Vannessa wrote:

> Go to an alignment shop.
> Not a tire shop.
> Not a chain store.
> Go to a place that ONLY does alignments and nothing else. They will
> likely cater mostly to the racing crowd.
> Have THEM check your suspension over.
> --scott
>
> Thx Scott
> I'm from a small town.. there is no specialized alignment shops. Just the tire shops and a chain store. I will try to find someone that knows his stuff at this last tire store I have not been to.
> Thank you for ur advise Scott.
> Vannessa

Is there a Ford dealer nearby that does repairs?
Ford repair people are usually pretty good with Ford vehicle diagnosis
and repair.

Old May 26th 19, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 26/5/19 9:25 am, Heron wrote:
> On 5/25/2019 5:45 PM, Xeno wrote:
>> On 26/5/19 2:59 am, Vannessa wrote:
>>> Thx for ur wonderful insight. With my research, some culperts can
>>> be... Wheel bearings, tie rods, bushings, an a bent strut. I see ur
>>> no better then the other mechanics I have gone to solve this problem.
>>> Thx again for ur time.. lol
>>> Vannessa
>>>

>> Thanks for proving your post was just another troll post.
>>
>> FYI, the above causes are *not* responsible for repeated *ball joint
>> failure*.
>>
>> Happy trolling.

> Of the two of you, you're the far more likely troll.

Not at all. I've been a mechanic for 50+ years and the *question posed*
has the ring of bull**** to it. A balljoint regularly only lasting 5,000
KLM is *abnormal* and should have been attended to when the vehicle was
new and under warranty. Some Fords did have a prematurely worn out
balljoints but that was at, IIRC, 50,000 Miles and it was on a car, not
a truck. Who would put up with crap like that for *22 years* and not be
invoking the lemon laws or similar?

As for tyre feathering on the outside, that can be 100% normal depending
on how and where the vehicle is driven. It's called camber scrub and
occurs where the vehicle is subject to inner urban driving, lots of
right angle corners and small roundabouts. Most commonly seen on
vehicles with high SAI angles which is pretty much all FWD vehicles.
Nothing you can do about it because it is a *built in* non-adjustable
angle and provides stability and directionality at highways speeds. Look
at the camber angles when the steering is on full lock and you'll get
the drift.

The vehicle is 22 years old if it's a 97 model. You can just keep
throwing money at vehicles that old if you cannot do your own repairs.
My advice on my first post on the topic is valid. You could take it to a
dealer, they would be aware of any TSB on the issue, but expect to pay.

If the post was genuine, I would suspect, on the ball joint issue,
crappy aftermarket ball joints and/or poor fitting with the tyre
feathering issue having nothing to do with it.

I might also note that a lot of people do not know how to assess
balljoints correctly. Each manufacturer has their own specifications and
Ford, with the Falcons in particular, were quite generous with axial
play on the load bearing joint, a quarter inch IIRC. Try to get anything
approaching that through a roadworthy check. On the other hand, the non
load bearing ball joint should have no play and, indeed, have friction.

Old May 26th 19, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Vannessa > wrote:

>Thx Scott
>I'm from a small town.. there is no specialized alignment shops. Just the tire shops and a chain store. I will try to find someone that knows his stuff at this last tire store I have not been to.

No! No! Stay away from the tire stores! They hire some kid who knows how
to take the numbers out of the alignment machine but has no understanding
of the suspension geometry, The automated alignment machines make it possible
for idiots to do alignments, and unfortunately many of them do.

Find a nearby city, drive there. Do not ask at a tire place, ask at a
racetrack.
--scott