Saturn gone?

Old February 19th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

Default Saturn gone?

"David T. Johnson" > wrote in message

snip

> The original Saturn S-cars introduced in 1991 were amazingly good cars
> considering that they were entirely new and designed and built from the
> ground up in a new plant with an entirely new engine. Imagine what would
> have happened if GM had not killed off the Saturn Division and the Saturn
> manufacturing plant but had stuck with the plan and updated and improved
> the original cars? It's hard to have any sympathy for such a mindlessly
> stupid and wasteful company as GM is.

I agree,
I often think about how good a 3rd generation S series could have been.
IMHO the S platform would have been a natural for a small TDI diesel. This
would have been a fuel miser and available in a great SW body. GM?
complained that the Saturn division never turned a profit, but IMHO they
should have given the S series (and especially the SW1) a longer production
run to better amortize and lower unit costs. Did we really need ANOTHER
SUV?

RIP

Old February 19th 09, 07:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
PerfectReign[_1_]

David T. Johnson turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

>> So basically, what we've heard is the brand meant to compete against
>> the foreign brands is dead — Saturn goes away in 2011. There will be
>> no new products for Saturn and Saturn dealers are getting a video from
>> Mark LeNeve at 5:00 PM to inform them. We're thinking Mark should cut
>> a check to send with it. As far as Pontiac, it goes away as a
>> division. The nameplate will live on on some vehicles — but we've got
>> no idea what "niche products" they're talking about. More coming
>> shortly.

Probably rebadged Opel Kadetts.

> The original Saturn S-cars introduced in 1991 were amazingly good cars
> considering that they were entirely new and designed and built from the
> ground up in a new plant with an entirely new engine. Â*Imagine what
> would have happened if GM had not killed off the Saturn Division and the
> Saturn manufacturing plant but had stuck with the plan and updated and
> improved the original cars? Â*It's hard to have any sympathy for such a
> mindlessly stupid and wasteful company as GM is.

Valid point. It would be nice to see what could have happened if the
accountants (including Roger and then whats-his-face) hadn't taken over.

> Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
> and Sea Monkey 1.5a

OS/2?? I thought that died of ten years ago?

--
www.perfectreign.com
Wir sind die Jungs von der Opel-Gang, wir haben alle abgehängt.

Old February 19th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
IYM[_2_]

"HomerH" > wrote in message
m...
> somebody > wrote in
> :
>
>> http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...brand-most-of-
>> pontiac
>>
>> Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
>> will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
>> division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.
>>
>> So basically, what we've heard is the brand meant to compete against
>> the foreign brands is dead - Saturn goes away in 2011. There will be
>> no new products for Saturn and Saturn dealers are getting a video from
>> Mark LeNeve at 5:00 PM to inform them. We're thinking Mark should cut
>> a check to send with it. As far as Pontiac, it goes away as a
>> division. The nameplate will live on on some vehicles - but we've got
>> no idea what "niche products" they're talking about. More coming
>> shortly.

> So I wonder what us current Saturn owners will do for service/parts in
> the future? I also assume our resale value will be zilch as well.
>
> I should have paid attention to those hairs on my back when I signed on
> to give GM one more chance and bought this car...;-[

I'm glad I have a '06 Vue with 76K already...I figure I'll be ready to look
at cars again in 3 years and by that time my resale will be for crap anyway.
I don't know who the heck in thier right mind is going to buy a 2012 Saturn,
when the dealer will be waiting for you to leave so they can lock the doors.
I'm sure GM will announce the other dealers who will be authorized to
service them, but still.......

IYM

Old February 20th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe Blow

:

>So I wonder what us current Saturn owners will do for service/parts in
>the future? I also assume our resale value will be zilch as well.
>
>I should have paid attention to those hairs on my back when I signed on
>to give GM one more chance and bought this car...;-[

Resale value? What is that?

I currently drive an '02 SL purchased in late '01. The same Saturn
dealer that sold me the car invited me back to the dealership in the
fall of 2006 to attend the debut of the Aura. I was impressed by the
Aura. So I asked the salesman how much I would get for my '02 SL on a
trade-in. He told me ZERO.

I reminded him that I bought the car from same dealership (everyone at
the debut event were past customers). He said ZERO again. I'm
thinking, "not even $100 as a token of appreciation for my past
business and potentially more business??"

So, today, I still drive the '02 SL as it continues to run fine and I
figure it will easily last me another 5 years. GM had the idea to get
its past customers into the showroom to do some impulse buying. But
its lousy dealer's attitude just killed it.

I think I'll drive by this weekend to ask how much trade-in value I
would get for my '02 SL. I hope that salesman hasn't lost his job
yet.

Old February 20th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Leythos[_2_]

In article >,
says...

http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...ost-of-pontiac

> Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
> will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
> division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.

Guess this means that the Saturn Sky Redline should get cheaper - I was
thinking of buying 2 of them this summer, one in Yellow and one in
Black, so here is hoping they get cheaper.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
(remove 999 for proper email address)
Old February 20th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jay Giuliani

It will be interesting to see what GM will have to pay out to buy out the
dealer contracts. I suspect the 2011 date has to do with renewal dates.

I remember when they dropped Olds. I seem to recall them paying nearly 1
billion in contract termination penalties to the dealers.

"IYM" <s u N > wrote in message

> "HomerH" > wrote in message
> m...
>> somebody > wrote in
>> :

http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...brand-most-of-
>>> pontiac
>>>
>>> Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
>>> will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
>>> division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.
>>>
>>> So basically, what we've heard is the brand meant to compete against
>>> the foreign brands is dead - Saturn goes away in 2011. There will be
>>> no new products for Saturn and Saturn dealers are getting a video from
>>> Mark LeNeve at 5:00 PM to inform them. We're thinking Mark should cut
>>> a check to send with it. As far as Pontiac, it goes away as a
>>> division. The nameplate will live on on some vehicles - but we've got
>>> no idea what "niche products" they're talking about. More coming
>>> shortly.

>> So I wonder what us current Saturn owners will do for service/parts in
>> the future? I also assume our resale value will be zilch as well.
>>
>> I should have paid attention to those hairs on my back when I signed on
>> to give GM one more chance and bought this car...;-[
>>

> I'm glad I have a '06 Vue with 76K already...I figure I'll be ready to
> look at cars again in 3 years and by that time my resale will be for crap
> anyway. I don't know who the heck in thier right mind is going to buy a
> 2012 Saturn, when the dealer will be waiting for you to leave so they can
> lock the doors. I'm sure GM will announce the other dealers who will be
> authorized to service them, but still.......
>
> IYM

Good Detroit Free Press Article about Saturn: "Saturn has sharp cars,low profile" SMS Saturn 11 May 14th 08 05:35 PM
saturn sw2 CINDY1964 Saturn 1 May 2nd 06 11:10 PM
New to Saturn Paul Saturn 7 December 28th 04 04:52 PM
Saturn is made on Saturn ! Karl-Hugo Weesberg Saturn 1 October 31st 04 05:21 AM
from Saturn fan to Saturn Consultant The Espaz Saturn 1 May 18th 04 10:39 PM