trickle charger recommendations

Old March 13th 13, 07:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

Default trickle charger recommendations

"Doug" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:22:36 -0500, Doug >
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:11:38 -0700, "uncle_vito"
> wrote:

.. .

>>>One little detail that I noticed with my battery on the trickle charger
>>>and
>>>it could be a characteristic of all trickle chargers (Battery Tender
>>>Plus)
>>>. After being attached for about 3 years, showing full charge the
>>>entire
>>>time (green light), I found my battery did not start my car. Found the
>>>cells had gone dry. Took it back to the auto store where I bought it to
>>>get credit on a new one. I refilled the cells with distilled water so
>>>that
>>>it looked like I had taken good care of the battery (was a no
>>>maintenance
>>>battery, anyway). They tested the battery at full load and it tested
>>>good.
>>>Took it back home for another 3 years of use, also using the trickle
>>>charger. Finally car would not start, cells were dry, and filling with
>>>water would not recover the batter. New battery then after 6 years.
>>>
>>>Just periodically check the water level. After a long period of time,
>>>it
>>>can drop.
>>>
>>>Vito
>>>

>>Thanks for the tip. I probably should do this now because I haven't
>>checked it in a long time. Now I don't have any excuse to forget.
>>
>>Thanks again Vito....

> Just checked this vehicle and my other. Both needed some water in the
> battery. I thought it was a coincidence that both battery's end caps
> needed the most water.

Batteries are complex animals. Note the problem Boeing is having. Also
issues with batteries for electric cars. The instantaneous torque in
traction motors can be immense. However, a battery is like a small bomb
when you consider the energy stored. Very difficult to contol all the
reaction modes in a battery.