Corvette Flyby at 198 mph ; skillful driver or completely nuts ?You decide.

Old December 13th 09, 04:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

Default Corvette Flyby at 198 mph ; skillful driver or completely nuts ?You decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5JQ...eature=related
Old December 13th 09, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

" > wrote in message
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5JQ...ature=related\

198! Will go that fast? I thought the top would be closer to 160 or so.

Old December 13th 09, 10:24 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> " > wrote in message
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5JQ...ature=related\

> 198! Will go that fast? I thought the top would be closer to 160 or so.

Some of the new top dollar Vette's will hit 200, given enough room.

-W

Old December 14th 09, 03:08 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "tww1491" > wrote in message
>>
>> " > wrote in message
>> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5JQ...ature=related\

>> 198! Will go that fast? I thought the top would be closer to 160 or so.

> Some of the new top dollar Vette's will hit 200, given enough room.
>
> -W

Incredible. But, given that some motorcycles off the showroom floor will
hit 170 or so, I suppose it makes some sort of sense. And, I used to think
145 or so in my 71 454 was really something back in the 70s,.

Old December 14th 09, 03:52 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "Clams Canino" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "tww1491" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> " > wrote in message
>>>
>>> 198! Will go that fast? I thought the top would be closer to 160
>>> or so.

>> Some of the new top dollar Vette's will hit 200, given enough room.
>>
>> -W
>>

> Incredible. But, given that some motorcycles off the showroom floor
> will hit 170 or so, I suppose it makes some sort of sense. And, I
> used to think 145 or so in my 71 454 was really something back in
> the 70s,.

No biggie, when the C6 came out a motor rag taped off the grill and
folded the mirrors back and nudged 190 with a stock issue 400 HP.

http://www.corvettefever.com/feature...ive/index.html

Old December 14th 09, 05:28 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"tww1491" > wrote in message news:g3hVm.91046

> Incredible. But, given that some motorcycles off the showroom floor will
> hit 170 or so, I suppose it makes some sort of sense. And, I used to

think
> 145 or so in my 71 454 was really something back in the 70s,.

Back in '79 I once (and *only* once) put my 68 vert (350 small block in it)
to the floor on a dark highway, clear night, with 3-5 miles of straight vis.
Hard top bolted on, lights up and high beams on. Speedo said 155, but I
assume some tire size error. I can't remember the tach now.

I know that a car came out on an entrance ramp when I was about 3/4 mile
back from him. I was running on the center line but moved over 1/2 lane to
get around him. When I went by him, it's like he was going 100 in reverse.
And it was instant. I saw him, immediately moved over, and then he was
fading fast in my mirror. All in what felt like a moment of time. I'll
never forget it... and I'm sure the driver of that car (whoever he was)
never saw anything quite like it ever again. I only hope he at least saw
the 4 red tail lights so he knows what it was.

-W

People wonder now sometimes why when I look at my car I chuckle for no
apparant reason.

Old December 14th 09, 07:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "tww1491" > wrote in message news:g3hVm.91046
>
>> Incredible. But, given that some motorcycles off the showroom
>> floor will
>> hit 170 or so, I suppose it makes some sort of sense. And, I used

> think
>> 145 or so in my 71 454 was really something back in the 70s,.

> Back in '79 I once (and *only* once) put my 68 vert (350 small block
> in it)
> to the floor on a dark highway, clear night, with 3-5 miles of
> straight vis.
> Hard top bolted on, lights up and high beams on. Speedo said 155,
> but I
> assume some tire size error. I can't remember the tach now.
>
> I know that a car came out on an entrance ramp when I was about 3/4
> mile
> back from him. I was running on the center line but moved over 1/2
> lane to
> get around him. When I went by him, it's like he was going 100 in
> reverse.
> And it was instant. I saw him, immediately moved over, and then he
> was
> fading fast in my mirror. All in what felt like a moment of time.
> I'll
> never forget it... and I'm sure the driver of that car (whoever he
> was)
> never saw anything quite like it ever again. I only hope he at
> least saw
> the 4 red tail lights so he knows what it was.
>
> -W
>
> People wonder now sometimes why when I look at my car I chuckle for
> no
> apparant reason.

Interesting, the spec's for that era corvette only shows the top speed
of the L71 at 142 in 1968 and the 1971 LS6 (a $1221 option on a $5500
car) just getting to 150. What did you guys do to them to get that
kind of speed? Of course you need to take that as a gain of salt as
that same site shows a black '71 convertible. Personally I never saw
130 out of the only 454 I drove and it was shaking like a dog ****ting
razorblades before it got to that speed with less than 2,000 mile on
it. Couldn't even get an honest 130 out of my '61 at the time running
the 2X4 270 hp.

Old December 14th 09, 08:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> Interesting, the spec's for that era corvette only shows the top speed
> of the L71 at 142 in 1968 and the 1971 LS6 (a $1221 option on a $5500
> car) just getting to 150. What did you guys do to them to get that
> kind of speed?

You can put the sarcasm stick away. I made it clear in my post that I knew
that the tire profile accounted for some percentage of error at the speedo.
R.I.F.

-W

Old December 15th 09, 02:12 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" > wrote in message
news
> "Clams Canino" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "tww1491" > wrote in message news:g3hVm.91046
>>
>>> Incredible. But, given that some motorcycles off the showroom floor
>>> will
>>> hit 170 or so, I suppose it makes some sort of sense. And, I used to

>> think
>>> 145 or so in my 71 454 was really something back in the 70s,.

>> Back in '79 I once (and *only* once) put my 68 vert (350 small block in
>> it)
>> to the floor on a dark highway, clear night, with 3-5 miles of straight
>> vis.
>> Hard top bolted on, lights up and high beams on. Speedo said 155, but I
>> assume some tire size error. I can't remember the tach now.
>>
>> I know that a car came out on an entrance ramp when I was about 3/4 mile
>> back from him. I was running on the center line but moved over 1/2 lane
>> get around him. When I went by him, it's like he was going 100 in
>> reverse.
>> And it was instant. I saw him, immediately moved over, and then he was
>> fading fast in my mirror. All in what felt like a moment of time. I'll
>> never forget it... and I'm sure the driver of that car (whoever he was)
>> never saw anything quite like it ever again. I only hope he at least saw
>> the 4 red tail lights so he knows what it was.
>>
>> -W
>>
>> People wonder now sometimes why when I look at my car I chuckle for no
>> apparant reason.
>>

> Interesting, the spec's for that era corvette only shows the top speed of
> the L71 at 142 in 1968 and the 1971 LS6 (a $1221 option on a $5500 car)
> just getting to 150. What did you guys do to them to get that kind of
> speed? Of course you need to take that as a gain of salt as that same site
> shows a black '71 convertible. Personally I never saw 130 out of the only
> 454 I drove and it was shaking like a dog ****ting razorblades before it
> got to that speed with less than 2,000 mile on it. Couldn't even get an
> honest 130 out of my '61 at the time running the 2X4 270 hp.

The 145 came from a Car & Driver or Road Track test of the 454 with a 3.08.
I ran mine up to 130 several times and it was stable. Now, what the real
speed was -- who knows. Good grief, I could get an easy 120 out of my 70
Honda 750/4 which only had a collector on it.

Old December 15th 09, 04:19 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"tww1491" > wrote in message news:FkBVm.91282

> The 145 came from a Car & Driver or Road Track test of the 454 with a

3.08.
> I ran mine up to 130 several times and it was stable. Now, what the real
> speed was -- who knows. Good grief, I could get an easy 120 out of my 70
> Honda 750/4 which only had a collector on it.

Mine *was* stable up at speed back in the day. I remember going over a
drawbridge with expansion joints at over 100 a few times and it wasn't too
scary. It didn't feel like it was shaking apart on that wide open run I
mentioned iether - I don't remember the exact details though.

I'm in the middle of replacing *everything* under the car now with new and
poly etc etc .
I don't know if I'll have the grapes to do untra high speed tests anymore -
or risk the tickets at todays prices. But it was getting pretty flakey the
last few years at any kind of speed.

-W

YOU DECIDE DD Adkins Corvette 8 July 7th 07 10:12 PM
When do you decide to get rid of your VW? none2u VW water cooled 5 June 2nd 06 05:03 PM
When do you decide to get rid of your VW? johnin VW water cooled 0 May 31st 06 11:27 PM
The Ultimate "Ricer Flyby" Michael Driving 8 March 7th 05 09:33 PM
Help with trying to decide on an SUV deborah 4x4 20 March 9th 04 04:51 AM