Discovery Channel

Old October 13th 04, 04:05 AM
Dad

"Bob I" > wrote in message
> IIRC The rag that reported it was Motor Trend, but it was "GM" test
> personnel that took the duct taped, folded mirror C5 to 190 not 200.
>
> Dad wrote:
>> "Diode" > wrote in message
>> t...

Snip
>> One of the suckup auto rags wrote that the base C6 would go 186 miles per
>> hour. They then taped off the grill and moved the outside mirrors in
>> against the door and made the run again. How they did this with out
>> tweaking the electronics I don't know but it then broke the 200 miles per
>> hour mark. My guess is that is where you might see a difference in the
>> popup head light, at some bazaar speed or absurd accounting practice
>> about night driving versus daytime driving fuel economy.

Actually I read that in Corvette Fever Oct. 2004 page 20 but that and I
think that maybe the saga with Motor Trend was on a circular track. The one
I was referring to was a straight line run with a return to do it twice and
they only turned the mirrors back, not removed them. I don't think it was my
magazine so I can't confirm who did it.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old October 13th 04, 04:33 PM
Rufio

"Diode" > wrote in message
t...
> Rufio spoke thusly:
>

> > So, the question is - do people want a Corvette with pop-up headlights,

or
> > better performance ?

> I absolutely defy you to tell the difference in performance between a
> car with "pop-up" headlights and the same car without. Can you feel it
> in the seat of your pants when accelerating, or just at top end? You
> might as well use aluminum lug nuts for the weight savings. The only
> place you MIGHT see a difference is in gas mileage (if you drive a LOT
> at night). Here's the dollar that you're going to save on gas over the
> course of a year.
>
> --
>
> Shut up, Dave.
>
> -|>|- Diode -|<|-
> '68 L-79 Coupe
> '79 Triumph Bonneville

Yeah - most people probably won't notice. I guess I just don't care about
pop-up headlights really. It seems like a petty argument.

Old October 13th 04, 04:33 PM
Rufio

t...

Old October 13th 04, 11:08 PM
Sonny Halpain

Personally, I like the idea of getting rid of the pop ups! Any of you had
the pleasure of rebuilding the vaccum setup on a C3. Or replacing the
motors on a C4? I have! I say one more thing the factory fixed!! Yea!!!
More time cruisin and less aggravation. Now, if I could just get the time
to install the X-ram in the 84!!

Old October 14th 04, 12:18 AM
Bob I

My mistake, it was Corvette fever I was remembering. 190 on a long oval
track, 190 mph. I didn't see the 2 "back to back" runs article.

Dad wrote:
> "Bob I" > wrote in message
>
>>IIRC The rag that reported it was Motor Trend, but it was "GM" test
>>personnel that took the duct taped, folded mirror C5 to 190 not 200.
>>
>>Dad wrote:

.net...

Old October 14th 04, 12:18 AM
Bob I

Dad wrote:
> "Bob I" > wrote in message
>
>>IIRC The rag that reported it was Motor Trend, but it was "GM" test
>>personnel that took the duct taped, folded mirror C5 to 190 not 200.
>>
>>Dad wrote:

.net...

Old October 14th 04, 08:09 AM
Bob G.

y the US doesn't
>become like the Eurpoean car markets where there are NO mass-produced cars
>with an individual look. At least TVR still make distinctive cars (although
>you may not want to look) - the new-ish T400R -
>http://www.tvr-eng.co.uk/intro.html#44ext6
>
>So - Q. who makes a cool-looking distinctive car, these days ?

A friend just purchased a 2002 Avanti Ragtop.. that is pretty cool
and is damn distintive.

They made 150 or so in 2002.

LS1 powered to boot...and based on the Firebird chassis... I
understand that the 2005 Avanti will be using ......(gulp) Rusttang
chassis....

Kept his 69 & 78 Corvettes but sold his Lincoln and Dodge Charger
however...

Bob Griffiths

Old October 14th 04, 08:09 AM
Bob G.

Old October 14th 04, 11:06 AM
Nate Nagel

Bob G. wrote:

> y the US doesn't
>
>>become like the Eurpoean car markets where there are NO mass-produced cars
>>with an individual look. At least TVR still make distinctive cars (although
>>you may not want to look) - the new-ish T400R -
>>http://www.tvr-eng.co.uk/intro.html#44ext6
>>
>>So - Q. who makes a cool-looking distinctive car, these days ?
>>

> A friend just purchased a 2002 Avanti Ragtop.. that is pretty cool
> and is damn distintive.
>
> They made 150 or so in 2002.
>
> LS1 powered to boot...and based on the Firebird chassis... I
> understand that the 2005 Avanti will be using ......(gulp) Rusttang
> chassis....
>
> Kept his 69 & 78 Corvettes but sold his Lincoln and Dodge Charger
> however...
>
> Bob Griffiths

Avanti Motors is now officially for sale. Future of the Avanti
questionable. Personally for the same $$ (actually about half the price
of a new one or less) I'd buy a 63-64 Studebaker Avanti or early
(66-early 70s) Avanti II which is pretty much the same car with a chevy
small block instead of the original Stude 289. Way *more* distinctive
than the new one, but if you care about things like water leaks, climate
control, and NVH it may not be the car for you kick in the ass to
drive though.

A good distinctive modern car that I lust after would be a new TVR, I
agree... but you can't get 'em here

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.