Don't solder Oxygen sensor Wire????

Old March 3rd 06, 09:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Don't solder Oxygen sensor Wire????

I've read a mechanic book. It says on Oxygen Sensor page that
do not solder Oxygen sensor wire because it might cause
misleading the voltage. I'm kind of doubt if soldered wire
would make different voltage reading from unsoldered wire.
How can a soldered wire and unsoldered wire make different
voltage reading? Does anyone ever heard of this or know this is true or
false?

Old March 4th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Makes sense. Is there not a special kind of solder for situations like this?
There are many different types.

Old March 4th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Just make sure that you have very good copper-to-copper contact, and
then solder. You won't have a dissimilar metal in the way at that
point, but the solder will chemically and mechanically protect the
joint. This is the essence of good soldering technique. The book is
"right," in that some people (mechanics) just are not electronic techs,
and don't really appreciate the correct way to solder a joint.

Old March 4th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 2006-03-04, Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:

> steel wires so it is not compatible with standard electronics solder.
> Others recommend soldering.

> Stainless steel soldering requires a very powerful flux like phosphoric
> acid.

Use silver solder and flux. Requires high heat. A BernzOmatic MAPP
gas torch will do the trick.

nb

Old March 4th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-03-04, Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:
>

>>steel wires so it is not compatible with standard electronics solder.
>>Others recommend soldering.

>>Stainless steel soldering requires a very powerful flux like phosphoric
>>acid.

> Use silver solder and flux. Requires high heat. A BernzOmatic MAPP
> gas torch will do the trick.
>
> nb

how long do you want this to last? that kind of flux corrodes and eats
the joint, even if you /think/ it's clean. it's /not/ used in
electrical work.
Old March 4th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:

>>>I've read a mechanic book. It says on Oxygen Sensor page that
>>>do not solder Oxygen sensor wire because it might cause
>>>misleading the voltage. I'm kind of doubt if soldered wire
>>>would make different voltage reading from unsoldered wire.
>>>How can a soldered wire and unsoldered wire make different
>>>voltage reading? Does anyone ever heard of this or know this is true or
>>>false?

>>--------------------------
>>
>>If you're talking about cutting off the connector half-way from the
>>sensor, resoldering and heat-shrinking the joints, why not? No salt can
>>penetrate, like it would on a 'crimp' style.
>>

> My mechanic says soldering is the *only* way to go, combined with a good
> heat-shrink tubing seal.

heat shrink helps mitigate the negative impact soldering has on joints
that are subject to vibration, but the solder gives up sooner or later.
same with anything that gets heated. look at the main relay if you
need proof!

your mechanic needs to pay attention to the fact that, crimp is oem,
tested and used exclusively in aerospace because of superior jointing
characteristics, and correct for this application.

> In fact, he says a crimp connection is far more likely to affect voltage
> over time than a soldered connection, because a crimped connection will
> attract far more moisture

he's talking garbage. if there's a proper high conductivity connection,
there's no voltage difference, regardless of connector. the only way
you can have voltage difference is if the connection is interrupted and
there's chemistry going on, but that connection won't conduct a decent
current load.

> -- and be affected far more by vibration -- than
> a soldered connection.

check under the hood. the earth leads that go from the motor to the
chassis, they're crimped, "open" strand, and last virtually forever. if
you want to test this, replace your own with a lead that has soldered
connectors - it'll be a fun experiment. i've done this before so know
the result, but it would be good to see someone else try it.

Catalytic converters and oxygen.. Hugo Schmeisser Technology 12 January 3rd 06 04:46 PM
AWA [OFFER] AC DELCO #AFS33 OXYGEN SENSOR [email protected] General 0 December 23rd 05 05:52 PM
oxygen sensor jim beam Honda 2 August 19th 05 05:27 AM
2001 VW Passat Oxygen Sensor Check Engine Light Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 23 February 22nd 05 11:50 PM
2001 VW Passat Oxygen Sensor Check Engine Light [email protected] VW water cooled 0 December 14th 04 02:46 AM