Transfer of points from East coast state to Western state?

Old February 13th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Transfer of points from East coast state to Western state?

I recently relocated to AZ from MD but haven't gotten my AZ license
yet... I just got a ticket and I am wondering if I should pay it and
hope that the points will be assesed on my MD license and won't
transfer back to AZ. I'd hate to get my AZ license now and have the
points go onto it if there is a possiblity that if I wait, they'll go
onto my out-of-state license and won't transfer.

I don't know much about how transferring agreements work, and I'm
hoping since it's such a long distance that they don't have one. I'm
not clear though on what would happen if I got an AZ license now. I
would think it would be more likely to transfer if they try to asess
the points on my MD license then find out it's cancelled and I have an
AZ one. If they don't have an agreement though, it might not even get
that far.

Do states keep records on out-of-state drivers? If I got points in X
state and I moved there later on, would I get those points put on my
license if/when I got it or do they just ship it off to the state where
your license is (where applicable) then forget about it?

Anyone have any experience that might shed some light on how it works?
Anyone have a similar situation?

TIA

Old February 14th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Kyle wrote:
> I recently relocated to AZ from MD

Pretty sure AZ & MD (like ~40 of the 50 states) are both members of the
Interstate Violators Compact. You're screwed either way.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)