351 crate motor?

Old November 13th 05, 04:59 PM
Dean

Default 351 crate motor?

Anyone had any experience with Ford Racings 351 crate motor, the one they
say is HD. 250 hp,4bbl intake, and cost $2,800? Thinking of putting one in
my 71 coupe, the Ford parts website says it makes 350 ft lbs of tq. I would
like alittle more hp than 250 say around 300, but this price is in my
budget.

Thanks Dean.

Old November 13th 05, 06:39 PM
Jim Warman

Nothing says you can't take the crate motor and build it up from there....
OTOH, there is no replacement for displacement and it wouldn't be hard to
take a seasoned block and stroke it out to 400 inches... add some decent
heads and you are well on your way to 300+ HP

Old November 13th 05, 08:45 PM
Ritz

Dean wrote:
> Anyone had any experience with Ford Racings 351 crate motor, the one they
> say is HD. 250 hp,4bbl intake, and cost $2,800? Thinking of putting one in
> my 71 coupe, the Ford parts website says it makes 350 ft lbs of tq. I would
> like alittle more hp than 250 say around 300, but this price is in my
> budget.

That's not the one you want. You really want the marine version of the
351W. I don't recall how much it costs these days, but it's good for
almost 350hp normally aspirated. They also more or less drop in to a
Fox Mustang with some minor alterations.

Cheers,
Old November 13th 05, 10:12 PM
66 6F HCS

"Dean" > wrote in message
> Anyone had any experience with Ford Racings 351 crate motor, the one they
> say is HD. 250 hp,4bbl intake, and cost $2,800? Thinking of putting one in
> my 71 coupe, the Ford parts website says it makes 350 ft lbs of tq. I
> would like alittle more hp than 250 say around 300, but this price is in
> my budget.

I spent that much rebuilding my 302 that's in the 'Chero. It's a .060" ob C8
block with gasket matched C8 iron heads, RPM air gap intake and a little
more cam than stock. It puts out ~270hp at the flywheel, and that's with 40
cid less than that brand new 351W. Installed.

The other end is the 351W that's in my '69. It's a .060" ob D9 block. GT40-X
heads. Comp Cams XE262H cam. Performer intake. CHP 393 stroker crank. full
balance. How 'bout 420hp and 480lb/ft tq? This cost in the neighborhood of
$4k installed.

I suggest you do a bit more research. I know getting a crate engine is a lot
easier, but there are advantages to having a motor built for you. My builder
asked a lot of questions before he started building. First obviously is what
my budget is. Next is what am I going to use it for. Am I planning on having
some fun with it later on? Any trips to the circle, roadcourse or straight
line track (regularly, rarely, or never)? These are things a builder you
actually talk to can discuss which way to go with the build. With a crate,
you get what you get.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old November 14th 05, 02:51 AM
Ritz

Ritz wrote:
> Dean wrote:
>
>> Anyone had any experience with Ford Racings 351 crate motor, the one
>> they say is HD. 250 hp,4bbl intake, and cost $2,800? Thinking of
>> putting one in my 71 coupe, the Ford parts website says it makes 350
>> ft lbs of tq. I would like alittle more hp than 250 say around 300,
>> but this price is in my budget.

> That's not the one you want. You really want the marine version of the
> 351W. I don't recall how much it costs these days, but it's good for
> almost 350hp normally aspirated. They also more or less drop in to a
> Fox Mustang with some minor alterations.

There's also the 385hp 351-HO SVO (PN M-6007-A351) crate engine. List
is a little over $4k. That's a bit more than the $2,800 quoted above,
but it's also over 50% more horsepower in a normally aspirated Ford
crate engine. And then there's the 351 GT-40 SVO assembly (PN
M-6007-B351), which comes with cast-iron heads and an auto-trans
flexplate. Using SVO’s dual-plane intake (PN M-9424-Z351), a 750-cfm
Holley, and headers, it’s still rated at 346 hp and 364 lb-ft.

Don't forget that there are also lots of places doing the old
standard...347 stroker which can produce a lot of normally aspirated
power on a budget as well.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Old November 14th 05, 02:38 PM
bradtx

Dean, Earlier this year my daughter's b/f started a complete
drivetrain replacement project for his '65 coupe. We decided early on
to replace the non-original 302 w/a 351 and looked at that crate engine
also. He eventually bought a remanufactured 351 with the same heads
and cam (reputable machinist shop) for $1000 less. If other items
weren't needed for the project he'd have bought the crate engine.

Headers, 4BBL and a set of used 1.7 roller rockers later he has a car
that outruns my 14.2 sec. '00 GT from a roll ('65 needs limited slip
and ratio change).

bradtx

Old November 14th 05, 03:28 PM
Scotter

What is "4bbl intake", please?

--
Scotter

Old November 14th 05, 03:47 PM
Ritz

Scotter wrote:
> What is "4bbl intake", please?

An intake manifold that will accep a 4-barrel carburetor.

Cheers,
Old November 14th 05, 10:02 PM
trainfan1

Scotter wrote:
> What is "4bbl intake", please?

OMG it's finally happened. The old fashioned carburetor and its
associated hardware is not recognized by the masses anymore...

Rob
Old November 14th 05, 10:48 PM
Ritz

trainfan1 wrote:
> Scotter wrote:
>
>> What is "4bbl intake", please?
>>

> OMG it's finally happened. The old fashioned carburetor and its
> associated hardware is not recognized by the masses anymore...
>
> Rob

Anyone younger than about 30 or 35 that isn't a hotrodder probably has
never even seen one on a production car. Personally, I prefer fuel
injection. It's a little more complex, but you can more finely tune the
engine and you don't have to worry about a cranky choke when the weather
gets cold. 8-)

I have an old mid-60's Jeep Commando that I use occasionally to plow my
driveway. I was rebuilding the carb a few months ago and must have had
a dozen people ask me what that funny looking thing on my workbench was.
The rebuild kit I got from my usual parts supplier looked like it
had about 30 years worth of dust on the box. 8-)

Cheers,