66 ignition-starter question

Old October 7th 05, 07:17 PM
Dinomike

Default 66 ignition-starter question

I have a 66 stang with a 302ci/T5. I had started the car and noticed
that the starter was still spinning after the car was running. I turned
off the key, but it kept running. After putting the car into 2nd gear
and stalling it out, I heard sizzling from the battery posts. I opened
the hood, went for a wrench and disconnected the battery.

I disconnected the battery only after the starter engaged again and
pinned me against my garage door (parking brake not on), held me there
for a few seconds then released. I pulled the neg cable off and now I
need to figure what went wrong.

Someone told me to disconnect the cable from the starter and turn on the
key to see if the solenoids rear small wire (I have two small wire lugs)
is sending juice (supplies a full 12v for starting to the coil?) If it
he said it is the solenoid, if not suspect the ignition switch. I have
an MSD setup, if it matters here.
I did replace the ignition switch about 3 years ago, but that doesn't
mean it is bad. I suppose that it wouldn't be the starter itself, but
one of the switches.

I now call the car "Christine".....

Thanks,
Mike
Old October 7th 05, 08:15 PM
trainfan1

Dinomike wrote:

> I have a 66 stang with a 302ci/T5. I had started the car and noticed
> that the starter was still spinning after the car was running. I turned
> off the key, but it kept running. After putting the car into 2nd gear
> and stalling it out, I heard sizzling from the battery posts. I opened
> the hood, went for a wrench and disconnected the battery.
>
> I disconnected the battery only after the starter engaged again and
> pinned me against my garage door (parking brake not on), held me there
> for a few seconds then released. I pulled the neg cable off and now I
> need to figure what went wrong.
>
> Someone told me to disconnect the cable from the starter and turn on the
> key to see if the solenoids rear small wire (I have two small wire lugs)
> is sending juice (supplies a full 12v for starting to the coil?) If it
> he said it is the solenoid, if not suspect the ignition switch. I have
> an MSD setup, if it matters here.
> I did replace the ignition switch about 3 years ago, but that doesn't
> mean it is bad. I suppose that it wouldn't be the starter itself, but
> one of the switches.
>
> I now call the car "Christine".....
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

NOT the starter.

Solenoid? This is likely.

Do the test at the solenoid control wires first with no keys in the car
- put the car in neutral, disconnect the small wires at the solenoid and
connect the battery. If the starter cranks, you have a bad solenoid.
If it doesn't, connect the small terminals - if it cranks now, you have
a short in the harness or a bad ignition switch.

Rob
Old October 7th 05, 10:01 PM
Dinomike

Sounds like a plan, I'd like to get it driveable again. I'll let you
know how it goes.

Thanks