It's GONE!

Old July 20th 12, 06:49 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.subaru
hachiroku

Default It's GONE!

THE best rust penetrant EVER is GONE!

I'm talking about GM's Rust Penetrant and Heat Riser Lubricant. I had a
nasty rusty job to do and went to the local Chevy dealer to get a can or
two, and he said they haven't had it for about 2 years (Just about the
time I bought my last can.)

He figures that someone in California fed a whole can to a lab rat, and it
died so they outlawed it. He suggested PB Blaster, to which I responded,
"That stuff SUCKS!"

He also said the techs keep asking if it's ever coming back, but it
doesn't appear so...

If you put it on really rusted bolts, they would work free like new. If
you put it on lightly rusted bolts, in three days they looked brand new.
Great stuff, too bad it's gone.
Old July 20th 12, 12:48 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Heron

"hachiroku" > wrote in message
b.com...
> THE best rust penetrant EVER is GONE!
>
> I'm talking about GM's Rust Penetrant and Heat Riser Lubricant. I had a
> nasty rusty job to do and went to the local Chevy dealer to get a can or
> two, and he said they haven't had it for about 2 years (Just about the
> time I bought my last can.)
>
> He figures that someone in California fed a whole can to a lab rat, and it
> died so they outlawed it. He suggested PB Blaster, to which I responded,
> "That stuff SUCKS!"
>
> He also said the techs keep asking if it's ever coming back, but it
> doesn't appear so...
>
> If you put it on really rusted bolts, they would work free like new. If
> you put it on lightly rusted bolts, in three days they looked brand new.
> Great stuff, too bad it's gone.

Appears to still be available online at least, try these sites:

http://www.oehq.com/oeparts_GMP1052627.htm

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-factor...-parts/1052627

Old July 20th 12, 02:56 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.subaru
N8N

On Jul 20, 1:49*am, hachiroku > wrote:
> THE best rust penetrant EVER is GONE!
>
> I'm talking about GM's Rust Penetrant and Heat Riser Lubricant. I had a
> nasty rusty job to do and went to the local Chevy dealer to get a can or
> two, and he said they haven't had it for about 2 years (Just about the
> time I bought my last can.)
>
> He figures that someone in California fed a whole can to a lab rat, and it
> died so they outlawed it. He suggested PB Blaster, to which I responded,
> "That stuff SUCKS!"
>
> He also said the techs keep asking if it's ever coming back, but it
> doesn't appear so...
>
> If you put it on really rusted bolts, they would work free like new. If
> you put it on lightly rusted bolts, in three days they looked brand new.
> Great stuff, too bad it's gone.

I'm still a fan of Kroil or Wuerth Rost Off. Also reference the
recent thread (/flamefest) about penetrating oils, I have been trying
the ATF/acetone mix although as I've already said, don't have enough
experience with it to say if it works or not.

I was really, really impressed with the Wuerth product. I thought one
time I was well and truly stuck as I had a transmission out of one of
my old VWs and there was one little rusty looking screw going into the
aluminum trans case that needed to come out and it just wouldn't.
Don't remember all these years later what it was, but it was small,
rusty, and wouldn't budge. Hit it with Rost Off, took about a half-
beer break, and it came right out. unfortunately the only reason that
I had it was I needed to buy something to get to the minimum dollar
amount for free shipping from some German parts mail order place; I
have never seen it in any stores

I am, however, getting some more experience with penetrating oils as
my most recent project is freeing up all the hardware underneath my
Jeep in preparation for new bumpers and some suspension work. I'm
reversing my previous statement - I do find Liquid Wrench to work
better than PB. And WD-40 still sucks (flame on!) Most of the
fasteners I'm working on I've already hit with the ATF/Acetone mix
previously, I've just been taking an oiler can with me any time I need
to get underneath the vehicle. What I'm doing is just removing each
fastener, running a tap through any captive nuts, replacing the
fastener if it looks really bad, and using anti-seize on everything.
My hope is that this will provide for less frustration if/when repairs
and replacements start to become necessary, and/or I get a wild hair
up my butt and start removing, derusting, and painting components...

nate
Old July 20th 12, 04:04 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 06:48:28 -0500, Heron wrote:

> "hachiroku" > wrote in message
> b.com...
>> THE best rust penetrant EVER is GONE!
>>
>> I'm talking about GM's Rust Penetrant and Heat Riser Lubricant. I had a
>> nasty rusty job to do and went to the local Chevy dealer to get a can or
>> two, and he said they haven't had it for about 2 years (Just about the
>> time I bought my last can.)
>>
>> He figures that someone in California fed a whole can to a lab rat, and it
>> died so they outlawed it. He suggested PB Blaster, to which I responded,
>> "That stuff SUCKS!"
>>
>> He also said the techs keep asking if it's ever coming back, but it
>> doesn't appear so...
>>
>> If you put it on really rusted bolts, they would work free like new. If
>> you put it on lightly rusted bolts, in three days they looked brand new.
>> Great stuff, too bad it's gone.

> Appears to still be available online at least, try these sites:
>
> http://www.oehq.com/oeparts_GMP1052627.htm
>
> http://sdparts.com/details/gm-factor...-parts/1052627

SDParts. Ordered 4 of them after I posted this last night!

I shoulda looked FIRST, but thanks for the link. $5 something a can. I was
paying $9-12 at GM dealers. Even with shipping it came up to ~$7 a can.

Old July 20th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

I did a Google for, GM rust penetrant and heat riser lubricant. Somebody at speedtalk.com said to try brake fluid.

Old July 20th 12, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:59:52 -0700, JR wrote:

> I did a Google for, GM rust penetrant and heat riser lubricant. Somebody at speedtalk.com said to try brake fluid.

Hmmm...This stuff is REALLY good! It is the BEST stuff I have ever seen
for freeing stuck bolts and removing rust (as long as it isn't TOO bad)

If you do a lot of your own repairs, I would suggest buying a can while
you can (I'm prolly shooting myself in the foot here, and should prolly
buy a CASE of the stuff!)
Old July 21st 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 07/20/2012 12:59 PM, JR wrote:
> I did a Google for, GM rust penetrant and heat riser lubricant. Somebody at speedtalk.com said to try brake fluid.

That might work, but I wouldn't use it on anything involving a painted
surface. (I'm assuming you mean DOT 3/4)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 21st 12, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

hachiroku > wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:59:52 -0700, JR wrote:
>
>> I did a Google for, GM rust penetrant and heat riser lubricant. Somebody
>> at speedtalk.com said to try brake fluid.

> Hmmm...This stuff is REALLY good! It is the BEST stuff I have ever seen
> for freeing stuck bolts and removing rust (as long as it isn't TOO bad)
>
> If you do a lot of your own repairs, I would suggest buying a can while
> you can (I'm prolly shooting myself in the foot here, and should prolly
> buy a CASE of the stuff!)

I might buy some. Never had any luck, except heat and, or, cutting,
drilling.

Never tried olive oil or oleic acid, might actually do something to the
rust, mixed with a solvent.

Greg
Old July 21st 12, 02:19 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve Walker[_4_]

On 7/20/2012 11:04, hachiroku wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 06:48:28 -0500, Heron wrote:
>
>> "hachiroku" > wrote in message
>> b.com...
>>> THE best rust penetrant EVER is GONE!
>>>
>>> I'm talking about GM's Rust Penetrant and Heat Riser Lubricant. I had a
>>> nasty rusty job to do and went to the local Chevy dealer to get a can or
>>> two, and he said they haven't had it for about 2 years (Just about the
>>> time I bought my last can.)
>>>
>>> He figures that someone in California fed a whole can to a lab rat, and it
>>> died so they outlawed it. He suggested PB Blaster, to which I responded,
>>> "That stuff SUCKS!"
>>>
>>> He also said the techs keep asking if it's ever coming back, but it
>>> doesn't appear so...
>>>
>>> If you put it on really rusted bolts, they would work free like new. If
>>> you put it on lightly rusted bolts, in three days they looked brand new.
>>> Great stuff, too bad it's gone.

>> Appears to still be available online at least, try these sites:
>>
>> http://www.oehq.com/oeparts_GMP1052627.htm
>>
>> http://sdparts.com/details/gm-factor...-parts/1052627

> SDParts. Ordered 4 of them after I posted this last night!
>
> I shoulda looked FIRST, but thanks for the link. $5 something a can. I was
> paying $9-12 at GM dealers. Even with shipping it came up to ~$7 a can.

Sheesh!! Supply and demand. Ordered 3 cans, Friday, 9 PM Michigan,
SDParts, about $31 after shipping.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

Old July 21st 12, 02:50 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:19:50 -0400, Steve Walker wrote:

> On 7/20/2012 11:04, hachiroku wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 06:48:28 -0500, Heron wrote:
>>
>>> "hachiroku" > wrote in message
>>> b.com...

>>> Appears to still be available online at least, try these sites:
>>>
>>> http://www.oehq.com/oeparts_GMP1052627.htm
>>>
>>> http://sdparts.com/details/gm-factor...-parts/1052627

>> SDParts. Ordered 4 of them after I posted this last night!
>>
>> I shoulda looked FIRST, but thanks for the link. $5 something a can. I was
>> paying $9-12 at GM dealers. Even with shipping it came up to ~$7 a can.
>>

> Sheesh!! Supply and demand. Ordered 3 cans, Friday, 9 PM Michigan,
> SDParts, about $31 after shipping.

Guess I shouldn't have made a post about it!

88862627 is the p/n, sdparts.com still shows it at $5.61, but the funny
thing was when I followed the link above it came us at $7.67!