Help broken hood cable ?

Old June 15th 09, 03:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_3_]

Default Help broken hood cable ?

1974 vette, I went to open the hood & the cable broke, does anyone know
how I can open the hood so I can fix it? Thanks

Old June 15th 09, 04:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Bob G." > wrote in message
> 1974 vette, I went to open the hood & the cable broke, does anyone
> know
> how I can open the hood so I can fix it? Thanks

Which cable, the pull knob or the link between the catches?

Old June 15th 09, 06:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_3_]

The pull knob. Thanks.

Old June 15th 09, 07:39 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Bob G." > wrote in message
> The pull knob. Thanks.

You will need about a 3/16 diameter rod minimum with 2 right angle
bends opposing each other like a straighten out "Z". Rod material is
obtainable at building supply and hardware stores. One leg needs to be
maybe an inch long the other long enough for your hand to use it
easily. Make those bends 13" apart. Lay the long part parallel to the
trailing edge of the hood and thread it in under the hood and turn it
so as to be inline with the side of the hood about 5" in from that
edge. As you turn the tool so your hand handle is vertical you will be
trying to drop the short leg over the release cable. When you catch it
pull back towards the dash firmly to release the first catch. If you
succeed put a block of Styrofoam under the corner and go to the second
catch.

It helps a great deal to have a similar Corvette to go by if you can
arrange that.

Good luck.

Old June 15th 09, 07:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Bob G." > wrote in message
>> The pull knob. Thanks.
>>

> You will need about a 3/16 diameter rod minimum with 2 right angle bends
> opposing each other like a straighten out "Z". Rod material is obtainable
> at building supply and hardware stores. One leg needs to be maybe an inch
> long the other long enough for your hand to use it easily. Make those
> bends 13" apart. Lay the long part parallel to the trailing edge of the
> hood and thread it in under the hood and turn it so as to be inline with
> the side of the hood about 5" in from that edge. As you turn the tool so
> your hand handle is vertical you will be trying to drop the short leg over
> the release cable. When you catch it pull back towards the dash firmly to
> release the first catch. If you succeed put a block of Styrofoam under the
> corner and go to the second catch.
>
> It helps a great deal to have a similar Corvette to go by if you can
> arrange that.
>
> Good luck.

So, Dad, where did you learn all this stuff? Years of hobbying or are you
a Chevy mechanic?

Ed

Old June 15th 09, 09:06 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"spud" > wrote in message

> "Dad" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> "Bob G." > wrote in message
>>> The pull knob. Thanks.
>>>

>> You will need about a 3/16 diameter rod minimum with 2 right angle
>> bends opposing each other like a straighten out "Z". Rod material
>> is obtainable at building supply and hardware stores. One leg needs
>> to be maybe an inch long the other long enough for your hand to use
>> it easily. Make those bends 13" apart. Lay the long part parallel
>> to the trailing edge of the hood and thread it in under the hood
>> and turn it so as to be inline with the side of the hood about 5"
>> in from that edge. As you turn the tool so your hand handle is
>> vertical you will be trying to drop the short leg over the release
>> cable. When you catch it pull back towards the dash firmly to
>> release the first catch. If you succeed put a block of Styrofoam
>> under the corner and go to the second catch.
>>
>> It helps a great deal to have a similar Corvette to go by if you
>> can arrange that.
>>
>> Good luck.

> So, Dad, where did you learn all this stuff? Years of hobbying or
> are you a Chevy mechanic?
>
> Ed

On the farm to begin with then went to college for structural and tool
design. On to manufacturing research and systems design. Learned to
make do with what was at hand and which helped to get my patents.
Ended my work as a field engineer trouble shooting world wide for I.R.
The big thing is I just like to make things and make them work.

Painted my first car in 1949, a 29 Dodge 4 door with the spares,
that's right, two, one in each front fender. Getting my '65 Mustang
ready to go back together as we speak. Got slowed down a bit making a
vault door 38X84 with 14 shot pins and electronic locking. Had to make
a wheeled platform to move it around my shop and machined 62 parts
some with 10-32 threads in 3/8 armor plate, hinge pins are 1.00
diameter 52-100 hardened steel riding in machined bronze bushings and
washers. Not my normal project but was something interesting and fun
to do with my son.

How's the "Z" running?

Old June 16th 09, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
W Moore

I had to fashion a rig to get my hood open several years ago when the cable
snapped that connects the hood latches. I can't find it now but it was a
thick piece of insulated cable, like the kind the power company burys in the
ground. It can be bent to a slight 45 degrees and fed down under the
trailing edge of the hood like Dad says (mirror & flashlight required). On
my '75 there are plastic knock-out plugs in the wall foreword of the
windshield wiper shafts that align with the trip tab on the latches. These
plastic knock-out caps pop out with forward pressure and the thick cable can
then press against the latch tab and unlock the hood. The length of heavy
cable must
be long enough so you can operate it from above the trailing edge of the
hood and reach the latching mechanism under the hood.

Broken hood cable AFX Chrysler 11 June 7th 09 02:35 AM
Broken Hood Latch Cable Wabbitslayer Ford Mustang 2 February 6th 09 10:41 PM
87 528e Hood release handle and cable broken... how to open hood? rick BMW 4 December 12th 06 11:54 AM
hood latch cable broken, how do I open the hood? majorwar Honda 2 January 31st 06 11:40 PM
Broken hood cable and the hood is locked! Vanagon Man VW air cooled 3 December 28th 04 02:11 PM