2 issues - 1992 Chevy Lumina sedan

Old April 22nd 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JustMe

Default 2 issues - 1992 Chevy Lumina sedan

need to replace front passenger side wheel bearing. Any complications
I should be aware of? Did this job many years ago on a Baretta. Drove
the car for another 4 years so I assume I did it right

also, when turn signal is engaged for too long (as when sitting at a
light for a long time), smoke starts to wift (not waft) from the top
of the steering column. Presumably there's an issue w/wiring therein.
Is it necessary to pull the steering wheel? Although the car is in
superb condition w/low mileage, I'm thinking of cutting or sawing the
plastic shrouds and gaining access that way (after all the car is 17
years old). I can always glue or otherwise repair that, why pull a
steering wheel, especially since I've never done it. Thoughts? Many
thanks.
Old April 22nd 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Apr 21, 7:09*pm, JustMe > wrote:
> need to replace front passenger side wheel bearing. Any complications
> I should be aware of? Did this job many years ago on a Baretta. Drove
> the car for another 4 years so I assume I did it right
>
> also, when turn signal is engaged for too long (as when sitting at a
> light for a long time), smoke starts to wift (not waft) from the top
> of the steering column. Presumably there's an issue w/wiring therein.
> Is it necessary to pull the steering wheel? Although the car is in
> superb condition w/low mileage, I'm thinking of cutting or sawing the
> plastic shrouds and gaining access that way (after all the car is 17
> years old). I can always glue or otherwise repair that, why pull a
> steering wheel, especially since I've never done it. Thoughts? Many
> thanks.

does the car have an airbag? if no, pulling the wheel is trivial with
the right tool, and a steering wheel puller is not expensive.

nate