M5 sound - how disappointing!

Old October 2nd 04, 12:19 AM
Frank Kemper

Default M5 sound - how disappointing!

Hi guys,

saw my first E60 M5 this afternoon in the city traffic. I was very
disappointed by the sound. The engine sounds like a mixture between a Mazda
Rotary and a mixer. I have read that it sounds more dramatic at higher
speeds, but that was definitely not a good show:-(

Frank

Citroën Xantia - Made in Trance
Old October 2nd 04, 09:50 AM
Alex P

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> saw my first E60 M5 this afternoon in the city traffic. I was very
> disappointed by the sound. The engine sounds like a mixture between a
> Mazda
> Rotary and a mixer. I have read that it sounds more dramatic at higher
> speeds, but that was definitely not a good show:-(
>
> Frank
>
> --
> please replace spam-muelleimer with fk-newsgroups for e-mail contact
>
> Citroën Xantia - Made in Trance

I have video of M5 doing 270km/h ... if there is enough interest
I can post is somewhere on the web and provide url.

Alex

Old October 2nd 04, 01:08 PM
Andrew Thomas

Frank Kemper > wrote in message >...
> Hi guys,
>
> saw my first E60 M5 this afternoon in the city traffic. I was very
> disappointed by the sound. The engine sounds like a mixture between a Mazda
> Rotary and a mixer. I have read that it sounds more dramatic at higher
> speeds, but that was definitely not a good show:-(

A bit like the Jag XJ220, then. A couple of UK-based reports have
said that at idle the engine sounds rough, but improves off-idle to
something that sounds like a steroidal Gallardo from 6,000 rpm up to
8,250. But then if a cool idle sound quality whilst sitting in
traffic is more important to you, I don't think BMW could care less if
it didn't get your business
Old October 3rd 04, 12:49 AM
Michael Low

Frank Kemper > wrote in message >...
> (Andrew Thomas) haute in die Tasten:
>
> > But then if a cool idle sound quality whilst sitting in
> > traffic is more important to you, I don't think BMW could care less if
> > it didn't get your business
> >

> Well, I think, if BMW would sell their cars only to rationally thinking
> people without emotions, they would have a problem selling anything
> faster and more expensive than a BMW 520 d. Some time ago BMW made a
> wonderful commercial about a guy in a Z3, who listened to a tape with
> Janis Joplin singing "Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz". The guy
> stops the tape two or three times to listen to his car, then he pulls the
> cassette out of the radio and throws it out of the car. Then somebody
> says in the off: "Nothing sounds like a BMW straight six." As I
> personally own a BMW straight six (without any aftermarket
> modifications), I can say that the sound of the engine is one of the big
> advantages of the whole car. From that point of view I was a little bit
> disappointed by the new M5. I think that people (like me) are not at all
> accustomed to the special sound of a V10 engine. From what I have heard
> from the M5, I would prefer I6 or V8 engines.

Frank, I can't vouch for the sound of the E60 M5 (later this week
maybe) but I do miss the I6 in my old E30. It spun up and sounded
wonderful.

As much as I like the smooth V8 in my E39 it doesn't have the same
stirring "sound effects" athough the cool air-induction sound in 1st
gear and the V8 burble do make up for it somewhat.

I suspect BMW went with a more unrestricted exhaust in the E60 M5 and
that's why there is a lack of "sound effects". I understand the E30
exhaust was tuned to sound the way it did with the I6. When I used an
aftermarket exhaust for my E30 it did lose some of that really cool
jet turbine sound.

Michael

> Frank

1990 V8 Sound system S William Mote Audi 3 November 6th 04 05:24 PM
Strange sound KoStAhR Alfa Romeo 0 August 31st 04 11:07 PM
abnormal sound? Kurt Alfa Romeo 1 May 12th 04 09:17 PM