dash lights

Old August 14th 07, 11:54 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
labtech_one

Default dash lights

I've ready that the bulbs in the dash, on a C4 can be replaced
with 194 bulbs and appropriate bulb holders.

good side is the bulbs are cheaper, and easier to get
but the down side is the dash is dimmer.

has anyone, replaced the bulb holders, and used
those high intensity LED replacement 194 bulbs ?

they shouldn't burn out ( thats a plus ), they are
a bit pricey ( but worth it I would think )

Question is the brightness, in side markers they do
rather well, can hardly tell them from a bulb. But
not sure how they'd do in the dash.

has anyone tried this ?

Old August 14th 07, 03:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

Since I haven't seen them, I can't truly comment. However, most LEDs I have
seen are more directional in how they shine their light. The light in a
dash is more about spreading around to cover the instruments. As long as
the light gets directed over the instruments, I guess that would work.

Another issue would be current. If their current requirements are higher
than the existing bulbs, you might have to worry about wiring issues. This
is an issue with '63 Corvettes. They were designed for one bulb, the '64 up
for the 1157 which is brighter but with more current. So there is a warning
to not use them in the taillights of '63s. I don't know anyone who has ever
had a problem, however, there was a concern by Chevrolet years ago.

I don't think it is likely, but I guess on an old wiring harness, you could
heat the dash wires up and have a problem.

Old August 14th 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Carl K

LED's draw much less current for the same amount of light, mainly because they
don't get hot, also because they don't use the whole spectrum of visible light
(not sure what the deal is with white ones, but I bet they have a different
'look' than incandescent.)

Carl K

Old August 14th 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
labtech_one

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
> Since I haven't seen them, I can't truly comment. However, most LEDs I

have
> seen are more directional in how they shine their light. The light in a
> dash is more about spreading around to cover the instruments. As long as
> the light gets directed over the instruments, I guess that would work.
>
> Another issue would be current. If their current requirements are higher
> than the existing bulbs, you might have to worry about wiring issues.

This
> is an issue with '63 Corvettes. They were designed for one bulb, the '64

up
> for the 1157 which is brighter but with more current. So there is a

warning
> to not use them in the taillights of '63s. I don't know anyone who has

ever
> had a problem, however, there was a concern by Chevrolet years ago.

LED's use far LESS current, I've used them in 'idiot lights' and they
work real well. Only problem is you have to either get a 'white light'
LED or match the color of the LED to the filter on the indicator.

Taking the dash out is a pain, so if I can replace the bulb, with
something that doesn't burn out .... all the better.

They do make 'diffuesed' LED's that aren't as directional

http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

again my concern is 'brightness'. the halogens that are
stock will be hard to beat.

Old August 15th 07, 02:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ[_4_]

labtech_one wrote:
> "Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
>> Since I haven't seen them, I can't truly comment. However, most LEDs I

> have
>> seen are more directional in how they shine their light. The light in a
>> dash is more about spreading around to cover the instruments. As long as
>> the light gets directed over the instruments, I guess that would work.
>>
>> Another issue would be current. If their current requirements are higher
>> than the existing bulbs, you might have to worry about wiring issues.

> This
>> is an issue with '63 Corvettes. They were designed for one bulb, the '64

> up
>> for the 1157 which is brighter but with more current. So there is a

> warning
>> to not use them in the taillights of '63s. I don't know anyone who has

> ever
>> had a problem, however, there was a concern by Chevrolet years ago.

> LED's use far LESS current, I've used them in 'idiot lights' and they
> work real well. Only problem is you have to either get a 'white light'
> LED or match the color of the LED to the filter on the indicator.
>
> Taking the dash out is a pain, so if I can replace the bulb, with
> something that doesn't burn out .... all the better.
>
> They do make 'diffuesed' LED's that aren't as directional
>
> http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html
>
> again my concern is 'brightness'. the halogens that are
> stock will be hard to beat.

I toss in with LT-one on this. While the
LEDs run cooler (less long term damage to the
circuit boards & sockets) they don't play
well when dimming is needed.

The incandescents & halogens dim by varying
the voltage -- most successful dimming
schemes for LEDs use a square wave and vary
the duty cycle. For now, the dimming modules
for LEDs are really bulky (gadgets that fit
in the base of a table lamp etc.)

Electronics tend to shrink with time -- try
again in a couple of years.
--
pj

Dash lights out bokuglen Mazda 7 June 5th 06 03:33 PM
90 XJ AC and dash lights Troy Jeep 6 May 18th 06 05:35 AM
'96 328 Dash Lights David BMW 14 August 15th 05 12:31 AM
Dash lights? Eric VW water cooled 8 August 7th 05 01:45 AM
Cherokee -Tail lights and dash lights quit working JFM Jeep 9 December 8th 04 11:10 AM