Interesting problem to try...

Old August 6th 07, 12:42 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Wes[_2_]

Default Interesting problem to try...

Hello everyone,

Here is an interesting thing to try. I have a 2007 Corvette with OnStar and
Hands-Free Cell Phone using Verizon Family Plan.

Try this... Dial 511 (for Road Information in most States)
Dial 911 for Emergency

From what I have tried it CAN NOT be done.

According to OnStar you can use the RED OnStar Button for Emergencies and
the NORMAL BLUE OnStar for Road Information.

I am still waiting for an answer from Verizon on this problem. Anyone else
tried this before and figured out the correct answer?

Thanks ahead of time,

Ron

Old August 6th 07, 01:08 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ[_4_]

Wes wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Here is an interesting thing to try. I have a 2007 Corvette with OnStar and
> Hands-Free Cell Phone using Verizon Family Plan.
>
> Try this... Dial 511 (for Road Information in most States)
> Dial 911 for Emergency
>
> From what I have tried it CAN NOT be done.
>
> According to OnStar you can use the RED OnStar Button for Emergencies and
> the NORMAL BLUE OnStar for Road Information.
>
> I am still waiting for an answer from Verizon on this problem. Anyone else
> tried this before and figured out the correct answer?
>
> Thanks ahead of time,
>
> Ron

I'm not on family plan. I used 911 last year
to report an accident on I-5 in San
Diego--call went directly to CHP dispatch.

Tried it near Reno (roaming) earlier this
year. Didn't work -- finally dawned on me to
press the red button. OnStar made the
connection to Nevada emergency services.

OnStar probably records all the emergency
calls -- probably at the behest of GM's or
Verizon's lawyers.

--
pj

Old August 6th 07, 03:15 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Wes[_2_]

It just seems that since a NORMAL cell phone will make 511 and 911 calls
then OnStar Cell Phone SHOULD be able to do it also. Especially with a
Corvette, it isn't like I bought a Yugo...

Old August 6th 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Wes" > wrote in message
> It just seems that since a NORMAL cell phone will make 511 and 911 calls
> then OnStar Cell Phone SHOULD be able to do it also. Especially with a
> Corvette, it isn't like I bought a Yugo...
>

> "PJ" > wrote in message ...
>> Wes wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> Here is an interesting thing to try. I have a 2007 Corvette with OnStar
>>> and Hands-Free Cell Phone using Verizon Family Plan.
>>>
>>> Try this... Dial 511 (for Road Information in most States)
>>> Dial 911 for Emergency
>>>
>>> From what I have tried it CAN NOT be done.
>>>
>>> According to OnStar you can use the RED OnStar Button for Emergencies
>>> and the NORMAL BLUE OnStar for Road Information.
>>>
>>> I am still waiting for an answer from Verizon on this problem. Anyone
>>> else tried this before and figured out the correct answer?
>>>
>>> Thanks ahead of time,
>>>
>>> Ron

>> I'm not on family plan. I used 911 last year to report an accident on
>> I-5 in San Diego--call went directly to CHP dispatch.
>>
>> Tried it near Reno (roaming) earlier this year. Didn't work -- finally
>> dawned on me to press the red button. OnStar made the connection to
>> Nevada emergency services.
>>
>> OnStar probably records all the emergency calls -- probably at the behest
>> of GM's or Verizon's lawyers.

Does OnStar use the cellular system or something proprietary? I was under
the impression OnStar does not use the cellular network.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops, and no Bat Phone)

Old August 6th 07, 04:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Wes" > wrote in message
> It just seems that since a NORMAL cell phone will make 511 and 911
> calls then OnStar Cell Phone SHOULD be able to do it also.
> Especially with a Corvette, it isn't like I bought a Yugo...

The Yogo never left the garage and emergency service was not required
or useful. When I was working we had to dial 9 to get out to 911, a
problem I was able to work around for many years until it was made a
direct line. Prior to that bump in the road to easy living there was
no 911 and I was able the handle that. During some of that time we
had to look up the emergency number we wanted, be it the police,
medical service, no EMS then, or the morgue if you were a slow reader.
Hang in there, you can handle this road block, (pun intended), and
still have a successful life.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old August 12th 07, 12:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Wes" > wrote in message
>> It just seems that since a NORMAL cell phone will make 511 and 911 calls
>> then OnStar Cell Phone SHOULD be able to do it also. Especially with a
>> Corvette, it isn't like I bought a Yugo...
>>

> The Yogo never left the garage and emergency service was not required or
> useful. When I was working we had to dial 9 to get out to 911, a problem I
> was able to work around for many years until it was made a direct line.
> Prior to that bump in the road to easy living there was no 911 and I was
> able the handle that. During some of that time we had to look up the
> emergency number we wanted, be it the police, medical service, no EMS
> then, or the morgue if you were a slow reader. Hang in there, you can
> handle this road block, (pun intended), and still have a successful life.
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

Those were the days of 2 lane roads -- except for the Ohio/PA turnpike.
Passing is now a lost art.

Old August 12th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ[_4_]

tww1491 wrote:
> "Dad" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> "Wes" > wrote in message
>>> It just seems that since a NORMAL cell phone will make 511 and 911 calls
>>> then OnStar Cell Phone SHOULD be able to do it also. Especially with a
>>> Corvette, it isn't like I bought a Yugo...
>>>

>> The Yogo never left the garage and emergency service was not required or
>> useful. When I was working we had to dial 9 to get out to 911, a problem I
>> was able to work around for many years until it was made a direct line.
>> Prior to that bump in the road to easy living there was no 911 and I was
>> able the handle that. During some of that time we had to look up the
>> emergency number we wanted, be it the police, medical service, no EMS
>> then, or the morgue if you were a slow reader. Hang in there, you can
>> handle this road block, (pun intended), and still have a successful life.
>>
>> --
>> Dad
>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

> Those were the days of 2 lane roads -- except for the Ohio/PA turnpike.
> Passing is now a lost art.

Fast way to get back the skill & art:

Take a left-hand drive car to the U.K. and
work the 2 lane roads that have plenty of
lorrie traffic.
--
pj
Old August 14th 07, 12:28 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"PJ" > wrote in message ...
> tww1491 wrote:
>> "Dad" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>>
>>> The Yogo never left the garage and emergency service was not required or
>>> useful. When I was working we had to dial 9 to get out to 911, a problem
>>> I was able to work around for many years until it was made a direct
>>> line. Prior to that bump in the road to easy living there was no 911 and
>>> I was able the handle that. During some of that time we had to look up
>>> the emergency number we wanted, be it the police, medical service, no
>>> EMS then, or the morgue if you were a slow reader. Hang in there, you
>>> can handle this road block, (pun intended), and still have a successful
>>> life.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dad
>>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>>> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>>> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

>> Those were the days of 2 lane roads -- except for the Ohio/PA turnpike.
>> Passing is now a lost art.
>>

> Fast way to get back the skill & art:
>
> Take a left-hand drive car to the U.K. and work the 2 lane roads that have
> plenty of lorrie traffic.
> --
> pj

Spent 4 yrs in Easy Anglia 82-86 on a tour of duty with the USAF. Lived in
Ely --fens. We had a left hand drive Volvo and a right hand drive Mazda --
both manuals. You had to trust your passenger when driving the Volvo, which
was certainly no performance machine with its I4 with around 115 hp. Throw
black ice, fog. roundabouts and narrow roads with high embankments, driving
in the UK was a real experience.

Old August 14th 07, 01:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "PJ" > wrote in message
>> tww1491 wrote:

Snip
>>> Those were the days of 2 lane roads -- except for the Ohio/PA
>>> turnpike. Passing is now a lost art.
>>>

>> Fast way to get back the skill & art:
>>
>> Take a left-hand drive car to the U.K. and work the 2 lane roads
>> that have plenty of lorrie traffic.
>> --
>> pj

> Spent 4 yrs in Easy Anglia 82-86 on a tour of duty with the USAF.
> Lived in Ely --fens. We had a left hand drive Volvo and a right
> hand drive Mazda -- both manuals. You had to trust your passenger
> when driving the Volvo, which was certainly no performance machine
> with its I4 with around 115 hp. Throw black ice, fog. roundabouts
> and narrow roads with high embankments, driving in the UK was a real
> experience.

One thing you learned quickly was the act of "giving way" for someone
to pass. Never forget the first time it happened to me on a rainy
night with a stone wall as my left hand curb, no place to give way to,
close, but we made it. Also found out you don't pass on the left on a
round about without a few fingers being presented to you. Hardest
thing for me was to look up to the left to see the rear view mirror.

Liked the country and the people I worked with. I was there over the
4th of July but they took the ribbing very well.

Old August 14th 07, 05:05 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> Hardest thing for me was to look up to the left to see the rear view
> mirror.

I have a right-drive Jag Mark X, neat car with the triple SU carb double
overhead cam straight six and manual 4-speed w/overdrive lots of wood cool
'picnic tables' that fold out of the back of the front seats, WIDE car --
thought I'd have problems driving it but it comes very natural, BUT that
darn rear-view mirror looking up to the left gets me every time! I get lots
more stares and waves driving that car than the Vette...

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE
(and '65 Jaguar Mark X)

Interesting problem Pink Freud Jeep 4 December 3rd 06 03:28 AM
interesting Anonymous Dodge 1 January 24th 06 08:03 PM
interesting Anonymous Audi 0 January 21st 06 06:03 AM
Interesting ABS problem MajBach Honda 1 September 17th 05 06:18 AM
Would this be interesting? Bart Bervoets VW air cooled 4 April 28th 05 01:15 PM