Tire life

Old September 25th 05, 02:09 AM
Lon

Default Tire life

Nomen Nescio proclaimed:

> Douglas brand tires sold at Walmart are good. I paid $35 each and they
> wear like iron.

Even better are the Sears private brands, typically made by Michelin
and a coupla others. You can easily tell by getting the DOT code off
the tire and looking it up.

> I see no reason why you would want to spend more. No tire today ever
> "blows out" and most get destroyed by some kind of accident like cupping
> due to wheel imbalance or punctures. Once punctured, no tire is EVER as
> good as the cheapest new one. When I get a puncture, I figure on buying
> another $35 Douglas.

Well, thank you for sharing, but yes, on a regular basis, I see tires
blow out. Spectacularly. And sometimes with deadly consequences. As
for your other claim, the number one cause according to DOT is simple
dead brained driver neglecting to check air pressure.

Old September 25th 05, 05:54 AM
KWS

"Lon" > wrote in message
> Nomen Nescio proclaimed:
>
> > Douglas brand tires sold at Walmart are good. I paid $35 each and they
> > wear like iron.

> Even better are the Sears private brands, typically made by Michelin
> and a coupla others. You can easily tell by getting the DOT code off
> the tire and looking it up.
> >
> > I see no reason why you would want to spend more. No tire today ever
> > "blows out" and most get destroyed by some kind of accident like cupping
> > due to wheel imbalance or punctures. Once punctured, no tire is EVER as
> > good as the cheapest new one. When I get a puncture, I figure on buying
> > another $35 Douglas.

> Well, thank you for sharing, but yes, on a regular basis, I see tires
> blow out. Spectacularly. And sometimes with deadly consequences. As
> for your other claim, the number one cause according to DOT is simple
> dead brained driver neglecting to check air pressure.

Since you see tires blow out regularly, are you able to make a correlation
between the intial price of the tire and the propensity to fail? For
instance: do you commonly hear the owner express regret over purchasing a
"cheap" tire? If so, would you agree that these are tires that failed
because some aspect of being inexpensive made them prone to failure?

On the other hand, if DOT is correct: would that not cause even "expensive"
tires to fail? Does your experience agree with the DOT observation?

I ask because you apparently have greater insight into this matter than
those of us who have opinion based solely on our experience. You see a cross
section of the experiences of others.

Ken

Old September 25th 05, 02:25 PM
Matt Whiting

Lon wrote:

> Nomen Nescio proclaimed:
>
>> Douglas brand tires sold at Walmart are good. I paid $35 each and they
>> wear like iron.

> Even better are the Sears private brands, typically made by Michelin
> and a coupla others. You can easily tell by getting the DOT code off
> the tire and looking it up.

This must be a change if true as Michelin never used to sell under
anything but their own name.

Matt
Old September 25th 05, 11:38 PM
Lon

Matt Whiting proclaimed:

> Lon wrote:
>
>> Nomen Nescio proclaimed:
>>
>>> Douglas brand tires sold at Walmart are good. I paid $35 each and they
>>> wear like iron.

>> Even better are the Sears private brands, typically made by Michelin
>> and a coupla others. You can easily tell by getting the DOT code off
>> the tire and looking it up.

> This must be a change if true as Michelin never used to sell under
> anything but their own name.

Sorry dude, but Michelin started making tires for Sears way back
in the 1960's. 1966 to be precise. Google for tire history
sears michelin.

Bought a set of them for a a TurboCorsa that year. Initially the old
Sears Michelin had a tread pattern that looked quite a bit different
[kinda like a modern all season tread] than that old triangular
Michelin X tread. Came with a 40K warranty.
Old September 26th 05, 01:27 AM
Matt Whiting

Lon wrote:

> Matt Whiting proclaimed:
>
>> Lon wrote:
>>
>>> Nomen Nescio proclaimed:

>>> Even better are the Sears private brands, typically made by Michelin
>>> and a coupla others. You can easily tell by getting the DOT code off
>>> the tire and looking it up.

>> This must be a change if true as Michelin never used to sell under
>> anything but their own name.
>>

> Sorry dude, but Michelin started making tires for Sears way back
> in the 1960's. 1966 to be precise. Google for tire history
> sears michelin.
>
> Bought a set of them for a a TurboCorsa that year. Initially the old
> Sears Michelin had a tread pattern that looked quite a bit different
> [kinda like a modern all season tread] than that old triangular
> Michelin X tread. Came with a 40K warranty.

Interesting. I wonder why Sears now sells Michelin under the Michelin
name rather than as rebranded Sears tires?

Matt
Old September 26th 05, 02:59 AM
Lon

Matt Whiting proclaimed:

> Lon wrote:
>
>> Matt Whiting proclaimed:

>>> This must be a change if true as Michelin never used to sell under
>>> anything but their own name.
>>>

>> Sorry dude, but Michelin started making tires for Sears way back
>> in the 1960's. 1966 to be precise. Google for tire history
>> sears michelin.
>>
>> Bought a set of them for a a TurboCorsa that year. Initially the old
>> Sears Michelin had a tread pattern that looked quite a bit different
>> [kinda like a modern all season tread] than that old triangular
>> Michelin X tread. Came with a 40K warranty.

> Interesting. I wonder why Sears now sells Michelin under the Michelin
> name rather than as rebranded Sears tires?
>
> Matt

Things were not always thusly. Sears now sells Craftsman tools at
places like Orchard Supply Hardware...that would have been heresy
as recently as the mid-70's. Sears also now sells name branded
paints, furniture, appliances, auto parts, electronics. Again, that
is a change from back when if you wanted to buy an RCA CTC40 TV at
Sears, you bought it under the Sears brand name. Or if you wanted to
buy DeSoto paint, you bought it under the Sears brand name, or if you
wanted to buy a State Stove water heater, you bought it under the
Sears brand name. Even cars, e.g. the Allstate car. Even women,
however, those were allowed to keep their own names as mail order
brides.

Old September 26th 05, 05:34 AM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:25:25 GMT, Matt Whiting >
wrote:

>Lon wrote:
>
>> Nomen Nescio proclaimed:
>>
>>> Douglas brand tires sold at Walmart are good. I paid $35 each and they
>>> wear like iron.

>> Even better are the Sears private brands, typically made by Michelin
>> and a coupla others. You can easily tell by getting the DOT code off
>> the tire and looking it up.

>This must be a change if true as Michelin never used to sell under
>anything but their own name.
>
>Matt

Michelin now owns many other tire companies that have historically
made private brand tires - so they DO sell other other names - and
yes, the Sears Roadhandlers (at least some of them) were at one point
made by Michelin Tire in Nova Scotia.

Tire life [email protected] Chrysler 72 October 8th 05 01:47 AM
Tire life Matt Whiting Chrysler 0 September 24th 05 02:28 PM
Tire life Daniel J. Stern Driving 7 September 22nd 05 03:45 AM
Tire life Daniel J. Stern Technology 7 September 22nd 05 03:45 AM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 03:42 AM