battery drain - 06 'stang

Old December 12th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

Default battery drain - 06 'stang

anybuddy else run into this?

I don't drive my '06 very often (900 miles since February - GT
convert). Even tho' it's parked in my attached garage, at first I
would lock it up and set the alarm (has the optional active system with
motion detectors, etc). The battery went completely dead after about 3
weeks, two times. So then I started locking it with a key (which sets
the standard alarm, but not the "active" features). It hasn't gone
completely dead, but you can tell the battery is low after a few weeks.

So now it's winter and it will be sitting for long periods and I'm
afraid to set the alarm at all. In fact, took it for a drive yesterday
- it had been sitting only about 2 weeks and for the heck of it I put
the charger on it after I had put on about 20 miles......and it was
apparently a low as it charged at 6 to 4 amps for about 4 hours.

Anyone else run into this? Anyone know how much juice the alarm draws?
btw, I run the "systems check" and it always sez everything is OK.

Thanks for any input.

Old December 13th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DmitryKovtun

"Itsfrom Click" > wrote in message

> anybuddy else run into this?
>
> I don't drive my '06 very often (900 miles since February - GT
> convert). Even tho' it's parked in my attached garage, at first I
> would lock it up and set the alarm (has the optional active system with
> motion detectors, etc). The battery went completely dead after about 3
> weeks, two times. So then I started locking it with a key (which sets
> the standard alarm, but not the "active" features). It hasn't gone
> completely dead, but you can tell the battery is low after a few weeks.
>
> So now it's winter and it will be sitting for long periods and I'm
> afraid to set the alarm at all. In fact, took it for a drive yesterday
> - it had been sitting only about 2 weeks and for the heck of it I put
> the charger on it after I had put on about 20 miles......and it was
> apparently a low as it charged at 6 to 4 amps for about 4 hours.
>
> Anyone else run into this? Anyone know how much juice the alarm draws?
> btw, I run the "systems check" and it always sez everything is OK.
>
> Thanks for any input.

It doesn't take much for any car to discharge the battery with one thing
left on.
one small light bulb will do it, killed mine in a week.
What you are seeing is about normal for today's cars
You may want to just take the + terminal off, Thieves could not start it
anyway
You could add on another ignition switch in a hidden place for more
security.

Old December 13th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Itsfrom Click wrote:

> anybuddy else run into this?
>
> I don't drive my '06 very often (900 miles since February - GT
> convert). Even tho' it's parked in my attached garage, at first I
> would lock it up and set the alarm (has the optional active system with
> motion detectors, etc). The battery went completely dead after about 3
> weeks, two times. So then I started locking it with a key (which sets
> the standard alarm, but not the "active" features). It hasn't gone
> completely dead, but you can tell the battery is low after a few weeks.
>
> So now it's winter and it will be sitting for long periods and I'm
> afraid to set the alarm at all. In fact, took it for a drive yesterday
> - it had been sitting only about 2 weeks and for the heck of it I put
> the charger on it after I had put on about 20 miles......and it was
> apparently a low as it charged at 6 to 4 amps for about 4 hours.
>
> Anyone else run into this? Anyone know how much juice the alarm draws?
> btw, I run the "systems check" and it always sez everything is OK.
>
> Thanks for any input.

Time for a Battery Tender.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old December 13th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

Thanks for the advice......

talk about a nuisance.......I have a couple old cars and always put a
disconnect switch on the batteries, and put the charger on them now and
then during the winter.

but the 'stang is a pain: besides the usual clock/radio station issues,
the front windows and the tranmission lose their memories, so the
disconnect is a no-win.

progress!

Old December 13th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"Itsfrom Click" > wrote in message

> Thanks for the advice......
>
> talk about a nuisance.......I have a couple old cars and always put a
> disconnect switch on the batteries, and put the charger on them now and
> then during the winter.
>
> but the 'stang is a pain: besides the usual clock/radio station issues,
> the front windows and the tranmission lose their memories, so the
> disconnect is a no-win.
>
> progress!

Are you sure you are loosing your radio presets?
My 2005 Superduty seems to retain the radio presets after batteries have
been disconnected...

Old December 13th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

nobody wrote: ".....are you sure you lost your radio presets......?"

actually, No.....not even sure I've ever set them! But the clock goes
off time when I haven't driven it for a couple weeks.......lost both
front window "auto drops" once, and this week the passenger side (only)
had to be reset.......the transmission has had to "relearn" twice. this
has happened even when it turned over and started OK (although it has
gone completely dead twice).

Old December 14th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark[_12_]

I am having the same problems on my 06 Mustang. I picked it up in June
and have 2400 miles on it and my battery had died 3 times already. I
recently had the car in for a recall repair on the Roush suspension and
I had the dealer check the draw on the battery to see why its dying.
They left it hooked up for 2.5 hours and said that the draw was barely
anything (.1 milliamps?). They did mention however that this was
common with mustangs, but I never had a problem with my 2001 and I used
to leave that sitting for months on end.

Old December 15th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
karinhall

"Mark" > wrote in message oups.com...

>I am having the same problems on my 06 Mustang. I picked it up in June
> and have 2400 miles on it and my battery had died 3 times already. I
> recently had the car in for a recall repair on the Roush suspension and
> I had the dealer check the draw on the battery to see why its dying.
> They left it hooked up for 2.5 hours and said that the draw was barely
> anything (.1 milliamps?). They did mention however that this was
> common with mustangs, but I never had a problem with my 2001 and I used
> to leave that sitting for months on end.

Battery Tender or some other type of trickle charger..... (: )