What happened to all the racing wheels?

Old April 24th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default What happened to all the racing wheels?

The DFP would be great if they hadn't of cheapend out on the mounting system
and NOT included the third (rear, center) clamp.

I bought one, clamped it on, turned around to move the box out of the way,
and the damned thing fell off on the floor.

If you have a rounded edge desk, the DFP won't work.

-Larry

Old April 25th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The 5 axis' is good for RBR especially, and other sims where i need an
analogue clutch.Getting the hang of it now
--

Steve H

Old April 25th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Scott B. Husted" > wrote in message
> vvx wrote:
>> I noticed that some of the companies that used to make racing wheels have
>> discontinued their models.
>>
>> So I ordered the Logitech Momo force feedback wheel, but it is defective.
>> It will not power on. Apparently this is due to some kind of
>> manufacturing problem with the pin where the adapter plugs into the
>> wheel. Many others are running into this same problem.
>>
>> Have quality force feedback racing wheels become extinct?
>>

> It seems many people like the Logitech DFP (No, its not just a PS2 wheel)
> and they sometimes 'upgrade' it by purchasing a quick change wheel
> mounting kit from Frex and also alternative pedals, etc.
>
> I use a red Logitech MOMO Force wheel with ECCI-3000 pedal set. However,
> I'm seriously considering saving my spare change to buy an ECCI 6000 GTS
> set this coming fall/winter. It's going to be $1,400... but at least I
> won't have to worry about a wheel for a LONG time. I've been torn whether
> or not I would miss FF or not, and I've been alternating between FF and
> nothing but centering spring with my Logitech MOMO and I'm not so
> convinced I'm going to miss FF or if it is any less realistic.
>
> If you want a "high quality" FF wheel, I think BRD is the only real
> alternative and that's going to cost you $1,500+ or so as well.
>
> --
> Scott B. Husted
> http://www.Husted.cc

FF is the only way imo, it just gives you another dimension to racing a sim
that without it you don't obviously have.

Old April 25th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I tried FF wheels and got tired of them breaking and needing replacement every year or so. So I gave up the FF idea and purchased a TSW2, and never regreted that decision.

Interesting. Immediately after I got my first FF wheel
(Logitech MOMO) my TSW2 went into the basement never to return. I
recently pitched it. The MOMO lasted about three years for me, and was
recently replaced with a Logitech Racing. Lifetime obviously depends
on how much you drive, and probably also on how smooth you are.

Old April 25th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Im with yall.

When I first purchased the Momo Force I was terribly disappointed. After
much trial and error I finally (thanks sphanky) nailed the settings and it
made all the difference in both immersion and fun.

I can't imagine racing without FF now.

IMHO the main issue with FF is Immersion Corp and it's strangle hold on a
extremely broad patent. The US patent office once again proves it can
stifle innovation faster than any other body in existence. What has
Immersion Corp done for consumer level force feedback the last 5 years? Not
much if anything (other than lawsuits up the wazzoo) as near as I can tell.

Don;t we have any patent lawyers around these parts?

Mitch

Old April 25th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Mitch" > wrote in
. net:

> Im with yall.
>
> When I first purchased the Momo Force I was terribly disappointed.
> After much trial and error I finally (thanks sphanky) nailed the
> settings and it made all the difference in both immersion and fun.
>
> I can't imagine racing without FF now.
>
> IMHO the main issue with FF is Immersion Corp and it's strangle hold
> on a extremely broad patent. The US patent office once again proves
> it can stifle innovation faster than any other body in existence.
> What has Immersion Corp done for consumer level force feedback the
> last 5 years? Not much if anything (other than lawsuits up the
> wazzoo) as near as I can tell.
>
> Don;t we have any patent lawyers around these parts?
>
> Mitch

Interestingly, I also bemoaned the patent problems in regard to FF
about a week or two ago. Then, that very same week, a new issue of Time
Magazine or Newsweek,(forget which) had a multiple page story on Patent
abuse and a whole litany of overly broad patents. I know some will blame
this on one Political party or another, but the Immersion patent goes back
well beyond this current administration.
dave henrie
Old April 26th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

You use the clutch?! O_o

Old April 26th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default What happened to all the [Affordable] racing wheels?

Let's re-phrase the question a bit.

What happend to all the AFFORDABLE racing wheels?

-Larry

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/27gamhw2.htm

Old April 26th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> What happend to all the AFFORDABLE racing wheels?

Depends what you mean by affordable Larry?

I currently have two BRD wheel and pedal set-ups, and a BRD Race
Frame Pro v2 cockpit.

I bought my first BRD wheel and pedals (then called the GP500)
around eight years ago and it cost me £180.

NB: I liked it so much I later bought another one (called an F1 Sim)
as I have two pcs in my study linked via LAN and I like to race via
networked sims.

Now I've lost count of the number of people who moan and whine about
buying (FF and non FF) Logitech, or Thrustmaster, or MS wheels and
pedals, etc and that they then break or don't work after a year or
two, etc, etc. These type of wheels (in the UK) cost about £50 to
£60 (for non FF) and anything up to around £80 or £90 (for FF)
wheels.

My BRD setup is still in perfect working order after all this time.
Yes, I have replaced the pots and the springs (cost about £6 a set
from BRD) a few times. But apart from that it all still works fine,
just like new, and this is cos it is made from quality materials
(all steel construction) and to a high standard, by a quality
company.

My BRD wheel and pedals can also be adjusted for height, tilt,
braking stop, pedal angle, etc, etc, and feel great to drive,
especially the pedals which are just like real car pedals and have
the same sort of travel as real pedals, not the small, light,
virtually no travel pedals in the cheaper set-ups.

BRD also manufacture for the arcade industry and the automotive
exhibition industry, where their products are used as promotional
items by the general public, so these things have to be built to
last.

No I don't work for BRD by the way, but I know from experience,
(about eight years worth), that their products are quality.

So I figure that my BRD, over all the years I've owned it and used
it, although it cost me more than the usual "cheaper" wheel and
pedal set-ups, WAS A BARGAIN!

And compared to buying a new plastic wheel and pedal set-up several
times, say every couple of years, it probably actually works out
CHEAPER, now thats what I call affordable Larry.....