Reliable? 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro Sedan

Old October 14th 05, 12:50 AM
Ed

Default Reliable? 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro Sedan

I'm seeing Consumer Reports rates this car as unreliable. This has
caused me to slow down on a purchase I was about to make. Are there
any happy 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro owners out there? Looking for comments
about reliability of the car.

Ed

Old October 14th 05, 12:49 PM

I am in thhe same boat. Is it reliable, and is it powerful enough-or
should I be looking at the 2.7 t?

Myron

Old October 14th 05, 02:22 PM

Ed wrote:
> I'm seeing Consumer Reports rates this car as unreliable. This has
> caused me to slow down on a purchase I was about to make. Are there
> any happy 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro owners out there? Looking for comments
> about reliability of the car.

As a current owner of three Audis and having owned several others, I
can tell you about Audis and their general reliability.

They ain't Toyotas. If you want Toyota or Honda reliability, buy one
of those.

The comments you've already received, in magazine format from other
owners, should tell you what you need to know. Compared to a Toyota,
the A6 is gonna have issues. Too many to live with? Too expensive to
live with?

I'd pay any price, suffer any consequence to avoid having to put up
with driving a snoremobile like a Toyota. Maybe you're not that
committed.

E.P.
'95 UrS6

Old October 14th 05, 02:37 PM
Pete

> wrote
> I'd pay any price, suffer any consequence to avoid having to put up
> with driving a snoremobile like a Toyota. Maybe you're not that
> committed.

Heh.. I feel the same way. I survived a year bihind a wheel of an Accord,
driving which was literally putting me to sleep. And on top of that, it had
its fair share of issues as well (maybe because it was US-made, I don't
know). I moved onto an A4, and never looked back. I just wish I didn't
waste a year with the Accord.

Cheers,

Pete

Old October 14th 05, 04:28 PM
Nicholas Hoskins

Hey Ed,
Just purchased a 2002 A6 Avant 3.0, great car, my first Audi and I'm
impressed with the detail but . . . .

Rain storm lastweek resulted in a flooding inside the car, due to a
blocked drain hole under the battery in the engine bay, its at the Audi
dealership, $300 for diagnosis and heard word of a bad TCM
(Transmission Control Module) that is located under the passenger seat
- I may be mistaken but got a price of $1800 for a TCM.

Flooding inside the car due to blocked drainholes is quite common for
the A6, A4 and the VW Passat / Jetta - just so you know.

My Jaguar XJR100 parked in the garage for the winter is cheaper to
maintain than this car and doesnt have problems dealing with rain
water.

I will let you know what happens . . .

Old October 14th 05, 06:23 PM
Jonathan Morton

"Nicholas Hoskins" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> My Jaguar XJR100 parked in the garage for the winter is cheaper to
> maintain than this car and doesnt have problems dealing with rain
> water.

Well, if it's parked in a garage all winter it's not going to have
maintenance or rain problems, is it?

Regards

Jonathan

Old October 14th 05, 08:57 PM
Steve Thompson

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Ed wrote:

> I'm seeing Consumer Reports rates this car as unreliable. This has
> caused me to slow down on a purchase I was about to make. Are there
> any happy 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro owners out there? Looking for comments
> about reliability of the car.

I have a 2002 A4 3.0 quattro (not an A6), with 75000 miles. Aside from the
coil pack issue, fixed under warranty, the car has been solid. When this
one won't go any further, I'll definitely buy another.

Steve
Old October 14th 05, 09:22 PM
Dano58

And of course, the 2002 A6 is like the 6th year of that model, so most
of the bugs, one would think, have been worked out. But I agree with EP
above, if you value reliability above everything, stick to the Honda or
Toyota.

Funny story - my cousin, a '92 BMW 5-Series driver, was telling me last
night that his car had to be towed to the shop for a new coil and some
other work - about $700 all told. As it was being loaded onto the
trailer, he said the only thing that went through his mind was 'Damn,
that's a great looking car!".

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old October 14th 05, 11:50 PM
Ed

Just got back from the Audit dealer after reading through the
maintenance records for the 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro I'm interested in. One
clear item stood out. The rotors were replaced at 15K and again at
35K. That's much more frequent than the cars I've previously owned.
Is this typical for an Audi?

Interestingly, this is the one item that Consumer Reports flagged as a
big problem area for this year Audi.

Ed

Old October 14th 05, 11:51 PM
Ed