Nomenclature Help? Boot, bonnet and ?

Old December 2nd 11, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Veteran[_2_]

Default Nomenclature Help? Boot, bonnet and ?

Is this right?
The Boot is the truck or is it the cabriolet's top?
The Bonnet is the hood over the engine. But is that true for a rear
engined one?
A RagTop is the sunroof model. Or
as the Americans call ; a convertible.
I'm confused.
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old December 2nd 11, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_8_]

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:07:44 +0100, Veteran > wrote:

> Is this right?
> The Boot is the truck or is it the cabriolet's top?
> The Bonnet is the hood over the engine. But is that true for a rear
> engined one?
> A RagTop is the sunroof model. Or
> as the Americans call ; a convertible.
> I'm confused.

Boot(Eng) = Trunk(Us) This describes the storage space not the cover/lid.
Bonnet(Eng) = Hood(Us) Describes the front engine or boot/trunk cover.

On a rear engined car the proper term would be 'engine cover'.

Ragtop = Convertible or Cabriolet, not sure which is which there.
Sunroof = Sunroof.

The large cloth sunroof Beetle is referred falsely to as a Cabriocoach.
A Cabriocoach would have the cloth section going all the way down passed
the rear window.

Wing(Eng) = Fender(Us).
Tyre(Eng) = Tire(Us). etc. etc.

J.

--
P.J.Berg

Old December 3rd 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford[_2_]

In article >,
"P.J.Berg" > wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:07:44 +0100, Veteran > wrote:
>
> > Is this right?
> > The Boot is the truck or is it the cabriolet's top?
> > The Bonnet is the hood over the engine. But is that true for a rear
> > engined one?
> > A RagTop is the sunroof model. Or
> > as the Americans call ; a convertible.
> > I'm confused.

> Boot(Eng) = Trunk(Us) This describes the storage space not the cover/lid.
> Bonnet(Eng) = Hood(Us) Describes the front engine or boot/trunk cover.
>
> On a rear engined car the proper term would be 'engine cover'.
>
> Ragtop = Convertible or Cabriolet, not sure which is which there.
> Sunroof = Sunroof.
>
> The large cloth sunroof Beetle is referred falsely to as a Cabriocoach.
> A Cabriocoach would have the cloth section going all the way down passed
> the rear window.
>
> Wing(Eng) = Fender(Us).
> Tyre(Eng) = Tire(Us). etc. etc.
>
> J.

You are the Man! That should be in a FAQ.
Old December 3rd 11, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 03/12/11 16:35, John J Stafford wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:07:44 +0100, > wrote:
>>
>>> Is this right?
>>> The Boot is the truck or is it the cabriolet's top?
>>> The Bonnet is the hood over the engine. But is that true for a rear
>>> engined one?
>>> A RagTop is the sunroof model. Or
>>> as the Americans call ; a convertible.
>>> I'm confused.

>> Boot(Eng) = Trunk(Us) This describes the storage space not the cover/lid.
>> Bonnet(Eng) = Hood(Us) Describes the front engine or boot/trunk cover.
>>
>> On a rear engined car the proper term would be 'engine cover'.
>>
>> Ragtop = Convertible or Cabriolet, not sure which is which there.
>> Sunroof = Sunroof.
>>
>> The large cloth sunroof Beetle is referred falsely to as a Cabriocoach.
>> A Cabriocoach would have the cloth section going all the way down passed
>> the rear window.
>>
>> Wing(Eng) = Fender(Us).
>> Tyre(Eng) = Tire(Us). etc. etc.
>>
>> J.

> You are the Man! That should be in a FAQ.

ENG = we call the engine cover on a beetle, the "Deck Lid"
Old December 3rd 11, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 03/12/11 16:35, John J Stafford wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:07:44 +0100, > wrote:
>>
>>> Is this right?
>>> The Boot is the truck or is it the cabriolet's top?
>>> The Bonnet is the hood over the engine. But is that true for a rear
>>> engined one?
>>> A RagTop is the sunroof model. Or
>>> as the Americans call ; a convertible.
>>> I'm confused.

>> Boot(Eng) = Trunk(Us) This describes the storage space not the cover/lid.
>> Bonnet(Eng) = Hood(Us) Describes the front engine or boot/trunk cover.
>>
>> On a rear engined car the proper term would be 'engine cover'.
>>
>> Ragtop = Convertible or Cabriolet, not sure which is which there.
>> Sunroof = Sunroof.
>>
>> The large cloth sunroof Beetle is referred falsely to as a Cabriocoach.
>> A Cabriocoach would have the cloth section going all the way down passed
>> the rear window.
>>
>> Wing(Eng) = Fender(Us).
>> Tyre(Eng) = Tire(Us). etc. etc.
>>
>> J.

> You are the Man! That should be in a FAQ.

Eng = Rag top, we call a cut out in the roof, coverred in a sliding
cloth cover.

The Cabriolet top, we call a "soft Top "
Old December 4th 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford[_2_]

In article >,
tricky > wrote:

> ENG = we call the engine cover on a beetle, the "Deck Lid"

And where in the world did you ever come up with Lorrie for Truck?

"England and America are two countries separated by a common language."
--George Bernard Shaw
Old December 4th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

Truck = commonly known as a front and rear axle on a chassis
Lorrie = is a persons Name
Lorry = is a large van , truck. No ides where that came from ?

Old December 8th 11, 10:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jerry Ohio-2

Default Nomenclature Help? Boot, bonnet and ? OT

I like when a girl says Knock me up in the morning !! Yes ! we did it
in a 66 Beatle |||

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/LighthouseLamp

terms confused; Bonnet 'n Boot VFW VW air cooled 3 February 18th 10 12:19 AM
Bonnet cable.... again SteveH Alfa Romeo 2 February 18th 08 11:02 AM
bonnet/hood stuck Miller BMW 2 July 3rd 06 08:06 AM
E39 Boot wont open, Boot lock stuck ChrisJ BMW 0 September 30th 05 07:28 PM
BMW E36 boot lock wont engage - new boot!?!! Lordy BMW 8 April 9th 05 10:56 AM