93 GT problems

Old December 12th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnV@nn

Default 93 GT problems

John wrote:
> "Fixing Stuff" > wrote in message
> > So, what I understand now, is you guys like it HERE...
> > thanks for the reasonable reply... you old Geezer.
> > your previous advice was becoming painful after the first balljoint thing
> > so I stopped... the scars will fade in time.
> >

> got any more problems with your 93 ?
>
> Here are some of my current ones;
> I have a 93, have to replace door handles, dealership wants $300 per side, I
> do not have a big pop rivet gun to put the door handles back on.

You can buy a door handle kit (incl. rivets) from 50resto.com for
$19.95. They also have the rivet gun for $24.95.

> There is a little L shaped rubber hose that goes on the gas fumes can (up
> far front passenger side) that you cannot get anymore.
> I have some broken very small hoses part of the pollution control system
> that I have stuck together with small shrink wrap and some tar.

Check with Tim aka Musttanguy at ponyperformance.com. He can provide
nearly any part like this for your Mustang. I have bought numerous odd
parts from him over the years.

Old December 12th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John[_12_]

Thanks!!

ups.com...

Old December 14th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Backyard Mechanic

"John" > wrote:

> got any more problems with your 93 ?
>
> Here are some of my current ones;
>
> I have a 93, have to replace door handles, dealership wants $300 per
> side, I do not have a big pop rivet gun to put the door handles back
> on.

Well, the thing is you dont NEED a poprivet... you can buy small carriage
bolts to fit. Lowes {at least my area} has them. Dont forget lock-washers

> There is a little L shaped rubber hose that goes on the gas fumes can
> (up far front passenger side) that you cannot get anymore.

That's what various sizes of fuel line and fuel-connectors or Brass
elbows are for.. fixing stuff like that.

> I have some broken very small hoses part of the pollution control
> system that I have stuck together with small shrink wrap and some tar.

Either small engine shop.. or model aircraft shop... or tubing supplier

> And the engine is running lean at WOT, could be injectors need
> cleaning.

Yes, or fuel filter or fuel pump or clean the MAF.

Cant hurt to do all of them if the pump is old.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old December 14th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DmitryKovtun

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> "John" > wrote:
>

>> got any more problems with your 93 ?
>>
>> Here are some of my current ones;
>>
>> I have a 93, have to replace door handles, dealership wants $300 per
>> side, I do not have a big pop rivet gun to put the door handles back
>> on.
>>

> Well, the thing is you dont NEED a poprivet... you can buy small carriage
> bolts to fit. Lowes {at least my area} has them. Dont forget lock-washers
>
>> There is a little L shaped rubber hose that goes on the gas fumes can
>> (up far front passenger side) that you cannot get anymore.
>>

> That's what various sizes of fuel line and fuel-connectors or Brass
> elbows are for.. fixing stuff like that.
>
>> I have some broken very small hoses part of the pollution control
>> system that I have stuck together with small shrink wrap and some tar.
>>

> Either small engine shop.. or model aircraft shop... or tubing supplier
>

>> And the engine is running lean at WOT, could be injectors need
>> cleaning.

> Yes, or fuel filter or fuel pump or clean the MAF.
>
> Cant hurt to do all of them if the pump is old.

Orgional fuel pump is inside the gas tank, and it has a plastic slieve
filter on it too could be messed up.

Have not cleaned the MAF ever, I put a K&L filter on it so I may have to
clean it.

You do that with brake fluid and q tips on the wire only ?? just clean the
crud off ?

Car is a 93 ex-cop car, with 140K on it now.

I have a meter by Keene-Bell that shows rich/lean from the 02 sensores, and
it shows lean when WOT.

Old December 14th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Backyard Mechanic

"DmitryKovtun" > wrote:

> Orgional fuel pump is inside the gas tank, and it has a plastic slieve
> filter on it too could be messed up.

Sure... but invest in a Fuel pressure gauge, first.

> Have not cleaned the MAF ever, I put a K&L filter on it so I may have
> to clean it.

Wel... yeah!

> You do that with brake fluid and q tips on the wire only ?? just clean
> the crud off ?

Use rubbing alcohol and small to medium bristle new paint brush...
several passes/rinses.

> Car is a 93 ex-cop car, with 140K on it now.
>
> I have a meter by Keene-Bell that shows rich/lean from the 02
> sensores, and it shows lean when WOT.

And yeah, you may have dirty injectors but I'd suggest running Speedway
gas IF it's a big seller in your area; not sure about last five years but
flow testing injectors 5 years ago showed very good flow at 100,000 miles
of use using that brand

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old December 15th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DmitryKovtun

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> "DmitryKovtun" > wrote:
>

>> Orgional fuel pump is inside the gas tank, and it has a plastic slieve
>> filter on it too could be messed up.
>>

> Sure... but invest in a Fuel pressure gauge, first.
>
>> Have not cleaned the MAF ever, I put a K&L filter on it so I may have
>> to clean it.
>>

> Wel... yeah!
>

>> You do that with brake fluid and q tips on the wire only ?? just clean
>> the crud off ?

> Use rubbing alcohol and small to medium bristle new paint brush...
> several passes/rinses.
>

>> Car is a 93 ex-cop car, with 140K on it now.
>>
>> I have a meter by Keene-Bell that shows rich/lean from the 02
>> sensores, and it shows lean when WOT.

> And yeah, you may have dirty injectors but I'd suggest running Speedway
> gas IF it's a big seller in your area; not sure about last five years but
> flow testing injectors 5 years ago showed very good flow at 100,000 miles
> of use using that brand

I just had the injectors cleaned and it did make a big difference, showed up
on the rich/lean meter too as richer, driving around, but WOT may still be
lean (meter says its lean via O2 sensors), so I'll clean the MAF next.

I have a fuel pressure gage, says about 45 to 50 normally and in boost goes
to 75 to 80 or so. The boost cuts out the fuel regulator, FMU stuff, there
is an adjustment on it, I think it is where it cuts out the fuel regulator
with boost level.

Old December 16th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Backyard Mechanic

"DmitryKovtun" > wrote:

> I have a fuel pressure gage, says about 45 to 50 normally and in boost
> goes to 75 to 80 or so. The boost cuts out the fuel regulator, FMU
> stuff, there is an adjustment on it, I think it is where it cuts out
> the fuel regulator with boost level.

That's a WHOLE Different story, dont you think?

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old December 18th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DmitryKovtun

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> "DmitryKovtun" > wrote:
>

>> I have a fuel pressure gage, says about 45 to 50 normally and in boost
>> goes to 75 to 80 or so. The boost cuts out the fuel regulator, FMU
>> stuff, there is an adjustment on it, I think it is where it cuts out
>> the fuel regulator with boost level.

> That's a WHOLE Different story, dont you think?

the screw on the FMU did not seem to do much, perhaps I should screw some
more with it.
Boost pressure on one side of the diafram pushes a valve open that lets full
pressure from the gas pump onto the fuel rails bypassing the fuel regulator.
The screw only seemed to adjust how much the diafram would start to move
with boost.
I left this part adjusted the way it was when I got it. It did not seem
critical, but...
No instructions on how to set it. Cant find similar on Google, need to try
again.
Guess I could pull it out, take it apart check the action again, what way to
turn the screw for more gas.
It also has another vacume line that is now shut off, but it has a needle
valve in the vacume line, no idea what that would hook up to, or how to
adjust.
It is an early FMU probably 1995 (?) guessing here.

I was thinking the fuel pressure gague goes up to 75 or 80, like it should
should be about it, the computer adjusts injectors via O2 sensers for right
amount of gas to inject.

Anyone know about FMU's ?

Old December 18th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DmitryKovtun

"DmitryKovtun" > wrote in message
reenews.net...

> "Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
>> "DmitryKovtun" > wrote:
>>

>>> I have a fuel pressure gage, says about 45 to 50 normally and in boost
>>> goes to 75 to 80 or so. The boost cuts out the fuel regulator, FMU
>>> stuff, there is an adjustment on it, I think it is where it cuts out
>>> the fuel regulator with boost level.

>> That's a WHOLE Different story, dont you think?
>>

> the screw on the FMU did not seem to do much, perhaps I should screw some
> more with it.
> Boost pressure on one side of the diafram pushes a valve open that lets
> full pressure from the gas pump onto the fuel rails bypassing the fuel
> regulator.
> The screw only seemed to adjust how much the diafram would start to move
> with boost.
> I left this part adjusted the way it was when I got it. It did not seem
> critical, but...
> No instructions on how to set it. Cant find similar on Google, need to try
> again.
> Guess I could pull it out, take it apart check the action again, what way
> to turn the screw for more gas.
> It also has another vacume line that is now shut off, but it has a needle
> valve in the vacume line, no idea what that would hook up to, or how to
> adjust.
> It is an early FMU probably 1995 (?) guessing here.
>
> I was thinking the fuel pressure gague goes up to 75 or 80, like it should
> should be about it, the computer adjusts injectors via O2 sensers for
> right amount of gas to inject.
>
> Anyone know about FMU's ?

Found this at http://www.cartech.net/fmu2020instruc.htm
looks like it applies to what I have;