GT500, good car?

Old December 13th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DmitryKovtun

Default GT500, good car?

Any thoughts about the GT500?
I think they are about $40,000

Old December 13th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

DmitryKovtun wrote:
> Any thoughts about the GT500?
> I think they are about $40,000

Search this group and you will find hours of reading regarding the GT500.
Old December 14th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mort Guffman

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:09:37 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> wrote:

>DmitryKovtun wrote:
>> Any thoughts about the GT500?
>> I think they are about $40,000

>Search this group and you will find hours of reading regarding the GT500.

A friend of mine just got one. This guy has more money than he knows
what to do with... he has a $35K Harley for example, and a 2003 Cobra
with a bunch of mods.

Anyway he told me a bizarre story - he claims there are only 193 of
these cars being made and her got #27. I verified that we were talking
about a 2007 Shelby GT500.

I told him I had read that they were making between 7000-10,000 units
a year. He is positive that's not the case.

I suspect the salesman told him a bunch of lies. I didn't force it,
since he paid sticker +25K. In fact he told me the dealer couldn't
even get the car, he had to work with the factory to get one.

On the other hand, I have only seen one of these cars so far, and that
was at a new car expo in Tampa. It seems if they were grinding them
out at a rate of 7000 a year I would have seen at least a couple on
the road by now.

Old December 14th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nicholas Anthony

He is probably talking about the 2007 40th Anniversary GT500 which is a
rarer version of this car.

Nick

Old December 14th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

Mort Guffman wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:09:37 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> > wrote:
>
>> DmitryKovtun wrote:
>>> Any thoughts about the GT500?
>>> I think they are about $40,000

>> Search this group and you will find hours of reading regarding the GT500.

> A friend of mine just got one. This guy has more money than he knows
> what to do with... he has a $35K Harley for example, and a 2003 Cobra
> with a bunch of mods.
>
> Anyway he told me a bizarre story - he claims there are only 193 of
> these cars being made and her got #27. I verified that we were talking
> about a 2007 Shelby GT500.
>
> I told him I had read that they were making between 7000-10,000 units
> a year. He is positive that's not the case.
>
> I suspect the salesman told him a bunch of lies. I didn't force it,
> since he paid sticker +25K. In fact he told me the dealer couldn't
> even get the car, he had to work with the factory to get one.
>
> On the other hand, I have only seen one of these cars so far, and that
> was at a new car expo in Tampa. It seems if they were grinding them
> out at a rate of 7000 a year I would have seen at least a couple on
> the road by now.

I think Ford's strategy is to keep initial production low so the dealers
can reel in people like your friend that has the money and desire to
have the car now. If they don't ramp up production by next spring then
I doubt they will produce that many. At that point Ford will lose me as
a loyal customer. They stated the GT500 would have a fairly high
production run the entire year before the car hit the showrooms. If
they don't deliver it then all they have done it lie to us. If they
lose customers that have been as loyal as I have been to Ford over the
last 15 years then they are going to be in deep $hit in the coming years.
Old December 14th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DmitryKovtun

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
> Mort Guffman wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:09:37 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"
>> > wrote:

>>> Search this group and you will find hours of reading regarding the
>>> GT500.

>> A friend of mine just got one. This guy has more money than he knows
>> what to do with... he has a $35K Harley for example, and a 2003 Cobra
>> with a bunch of mods.
>>
>> Anyway he told me a bizarre story - he claims there are only 193 of
>> these cars being made and her got #27. I verified that we were talking
>> about a 2007 Shelby GT500.
>>
>> I told him I had read that they were making between 7000-10,000 units
>> a year. He is positive that's not the case.
>>
>> I suspect the salesman told him a bunch of lies. I didn't force it,
>> since he paid sticker +25K. In fact he told me the dealer couldn't
>> even get the car, he had to work with the factory to get one.
>>
>> On the other hand, I have only seen one of these cars so far, and that
>> was at a new car expo in Tampa. It seems if they were grinding them
>> out at a rate of 7000 a year I would have seen at least a couple on
>> the road by now.

> I think Ford's strategy is to keep initial production low so the dealers
> can reel in people like your friend that has the money and desire to have
> the car now. If they don't ramp up production by next spring then I doubt
> they will produce that many. At that point Ford will lose me as a loyal
> customer. They stated the GT500 would have a fairly high production run
> the entire year before the car hit the showrooms. If they don't deliver
> it then all they have done it lie to us. If they lose customers that have
> been as loyal as I have been to Ford over the last 15 years then they are
> going to be in deep $hit in the coming years.

Do they have a screw type (like Keene-bell) supercharger on it, or is it a
roots type ?

They make a lot of changes to the car, new engine with lower compression to
take 8#,
upgrade the drive train to handle the torque, a lot of new pieces and parts.
Seems done right.
Perhaps Ford is seeing what the demand is before putting in money to the
production line, ?
Id buy one at $40k Even $30k (I wish)
$60 is equivalent to three other new cars tooo much.

Old December 14th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

DmitryKovtun wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
>> Mort Guffman wrote:
>>> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:09:37 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"

>>> A friend of mine just got one. This guy has more money than he knows
>>> what to do with... he has a $35K Harley for example, and a 2003 Cobra
>>> with a bunch of mods.
>>>
>>> Anyway he told me a bizarre story - he claims there are only 193 of
>>> these cars being made and her got #27. I verified that we were talking
>>> about a 2007 Shelby GT500.
>>>
>>> I told him I had read that they were making between 7000-10,000 units
>>> a year. He is positive that's not the case.
>>>
>>> I suspect the salesman told him a bunch of lies. I didn't force it,
>>> since he paid sticker +25K. In fact he told me the dealer couldn't
>>> even get the car, he had to work with the factory to get one.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I have only seen one of these cars so far, and that
>>> was at a new car expo in Tampa. It seems if they were grinding them
>>> out at a rate of 7000 a year I would have seen at least a couple on
>>> the road by now.

>> I think Ford's strategy is to keep initial production low so the dealers
>> can reel in people like your friend that has the money and desire to have
>> the car now. If they don't ramp up production by next spring then I doubt
>> they will produce that many. At that point Ford will lose me as a loyal
>> customer. They stated the GT500 would have a fairly high production run
>> the entire year before the car hit the showrooms. If they don't deliver
>> it then all they have done it lie to us. If they lose customers that have
>> been as loyal as I have been to Ford over the last 15 years then they are
>> going to be in deep $hit in the coming years.

> Do they have a screw type (like Keene-bell) supercharger on it, or is it a
> roots type ?

They went with a Roots blower on the production car. My guess is it was
a cost issue. Rest assured, Kenne Bell will have a kit for it very soon.

> They make a lot of changes to the car, new engine with lower compression to
> take 8#,
> upgrade the drive train to handle the torque, a lot of new pieces and parts.
> Seems done right.

If Ford does the GT500 engine like they did the '03-'04 Cobra then it
will be damn near bullet proof.

> Perhaps Ford is seeing what the demand is before putting in money to the
> production line, ?

I think they are crunching the number to see how much money the dealers
can make under different production numbers. If they can make as much
money off fewer cars (i.e. higher sales prices) as they can with a
higher volume then they may slash production. If they do then that is
when they will lose me as a loyal customer.

> Id buy one at $40k Even $30k (I wish)
> $60 is equivalent to three other new cars tooo much.

I am using $50k as a benchmark for a loaded GT500 convertible.
Old December 15th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Sarah Czepiel

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:41:48 -0500, Mort Guffman
> wrote:

:>On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:09:37 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> wrote:
:>
:>>DmitryKovtun wrote:
:>>> Any thoughts about the GT500?
:>>> I think they are about $40,000
:>>
[...]

Saw one the other day at a Wendy's of all places in Mechanicsville,
Maryland.